• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Sheffield United (A) build up thread - 14/09/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't see how Nuno can possibly start Marcal ahead of Saiss. Not been here long enough and no way do I want a 5'10" CB against Sheffield United

Nuno is pretty ruthless if he thinks he has a better alternative.

Is Marcal definitely better than Saiss? I have to say I'm a bit bemused by this clamour to up grade Saiss, don't get me wrong if we can get an up grade then great, but for me its not that critical, Saiss was excellent last season

Is Marcal definitely better than Saiss? I have to say I'm a bit bemused by this clamour to up grade Saiss, don't get me wrong if we can get an up grade then great, but for me its not that critical, Saiss was excellent last season
Yeah I'm with you on this.

Always loved Saiss. Perhaps people just mean if Nuno sees him as "better" and he fits in well in training. Saiss and Doc are the first sort of upgrades really aren't they so it could go that way. I have no idea who the new guy is let alone whether he's suited to CB or LWB heh.

I agree it's the least pressing of the four positions we've been thinking of. I expect we were expecting a huge Dias-style upgrade at some point, but Marcal obviously has something that Nuno likes, I expect his worth will be clearer as the season goes on

Probably fair to assume that as a career attacking LB, he's a bit better on the ball (not that Romain is bad at all).

Some games you might want him, other games less so. Good to have options.

For the price I'd expect him to be crap by today's standards ha. Look at Moutinho tho. 5 bloody mil.

Marcal just played in a semi-final of the Champions League. We didn't sign him as one for the future, or as a back-up. We signed him to play him.

At least that's what I think.

Probably fair to assume that as a career attacking LB, he's a bit better on the ball (not that Romain is bad at all).

Some games you might want him, other games less so. Good to have options.

Think this us a good point, different personnel for different opponents, its good to have variations

Currently on the raw face of it I feel like Wolves and Sheff Utd both have weaker starting 11s than during the last match up. Them through having a much worse keeper, and us through losing our starting wingbacks.

I think Sheffield will struggle this season. They don’t realise how much Henderson will be missed. We should be good for at least a point

I think Sheffield will struggle this season. They don’t realise how much Henderson will be missed. We should be good for at least a point

I'm still hoping we can win this....even if Traore is at rwb. While he's no Jonny, I don't think Vinagre will let us down at all, rest of our team is just better man for man than Sheff ( no disrespect intended for them)

Really can't see that Marcel has been brought in to play in the back 3.

Surely he's been brought in more so as an option for LWB (yes granted its a bonus he could also do a job as LCB as we know Nuno likes versatile players) but surely if it was the back 3 they were looking to upgrade it'd be a RCB we should have been looking for and get Boly back on his natural side.

If it was the case he was brought in as a CB it would mean out of our main 3 (even 4 if you include Kilman) CB's not one is a right sided CB and in reality only one of them can do a job there (albeit it at quite a waste as he's so much better on the left) quite unbalanced.

No I definitely think Marcel has been brought in with LWB more in mind, even maybe playing a more traditional LB type role when the game suits (ie needing to be more conservative).

Currently on the raw face of it I feel like Wolves and Sheff Utd both have weaker starting 11s than during the last match up. Them through having a much worse keeper, and us through losing our starting wingbacks.

Can't disagree with this, as it stands our starting 11 is certainly weaker than last season but our bench and (more importantly in my view) our potential is so much stronger.

Its the reason I think we may have to accept what some would consider a small 'step backwards' this season. Still think we'll finish in and around the top 10 I just hope fans can see the bigger picture.

Really can't see that Marcel has been brought in to play in the back 3.

Surely he's been brought in more so as an option for LWB (yes granted its a bonus he could also do a job as LCB as we know Nuno likes versatile players) but surely if it was the back 3 they were looking to upgrade it'd be a RCB we should have been looking for and get Boly back on his natural side.

If it was the case he was brought in as a CB it would mean out of our main 3 (even 4 if you include Kilman) CB's not one is a right sided CB and in reality only one of them can do a job there (albeit it at quite a waste as he's so much better on the left) quite unbalanced.

No I definitely think Marcel has been brought in with LWB more in mind, even maybe playing a more traditional LB type role when the game suits (ie needing to be more conservative).
He'll probably play LWB to start with but surely they have seen that he's played much better at LCB and got slated by Lyon fans at LWB.

Saiss has been really good, think he will start but good to have options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back