• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Still think VAR is shit but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility to make it marginally better....

For offsides
On field ref should always make the final decision. If there is an offside they should look at the evidence to confirm it (and ensure the correct line is drawn) if it is not conclusive on field decision stays.

Assistants and referees must always give a soft signal as to what they believe is the correct decision (similar to Cricket)

Where there are offsides likes Salah against us and Rashford last week - decision must be left to the referee after seeing the evidence provided by VAR. VAR Officials should never, ever make a decision...only.provide the best evidence they can to the onfield referee.

Or get rid of VAR and return the game to the fans.

Think Lemina was more upset about Salisu going in two-footed rather than the earlier shirt tug. Maybe both, though.

Still think VAR is shit but it isn't beyond the realms of possibility to make it marginally better....

For offsides
On field ref should always make the final decision. If there is an offside they should look at the evidence to confirm it (and ensure the correct line is drawn) if it is not conclusive on field decision stays.

Assistants and referees must always give a soft signal as to what they believe is the correct decision (similar to Cricket)

Where there are offsides likes Salah against us and Rashford last week - decision must be left to the referee after seeing the evidence provided by VAR. VAR Officials should never, ever make a decision...only.provide the best evidence they can to the onfield referee.

Or get rid of VAR and return the game to the fans.
I can't say I felt any better about terrible, terrible decisions pre-VAR, and they happened all the time. At least *some* of the nonsense gets ironed out now rather than none of it.

We had an absolute stonewall penalty on Nunes not given at Forest in the League Cup. No VAR. I certainly didn't think "well their big lug of a defender has caught Matheus to the point his boot has come off and the crap ref has somehow missed it, still, it's for the fans".

Get better referees. VAR or no VAR.

Think Lemina was more upset about Salisu going in two-footed rather than the earlier shirt tug. Maybe both, though.
When gesticulating to the ref he was tapping his upper arm, suggesting the player pulled him back on that part of the body. I'm guessing he was referring to the shirt pull though on that side of his body.

I can't say I felt any better about terrible, terrible decisions pre-VAR, and they happened all the time. At least *some* of the nonsense gets ironed out now rather than none of it.

We had an absolute stonewall penalty on Nunes not given at Forest in the League Cup. No VAR. I certainly didn't think "well their big lug of a defender has caught Matheus to the point his boot has come off and the crap ref has somehow missed it, still, it's for the fans".

Get better referees. VAR or no VAR.
VAR wouldn't have given that it would have gone with the ref, just like it did on Saturday when Soucek played keeper. It intervenes when the ref doesn't see it properly, not when he gets it wrong

VAR wouldn't have given that it would have gone with the ref, just like it did on Saturday when Soucek played keeper. It intervenes when the ref doesn't see it properly, not when he gets it wrong
Did I imagine Sterling winning a penalty at Molineux in 2019, the ref must have "seen" it...

There isn't a hard and fast rule other than they're mostly rubbish so cock it up when they shouldn't. I don't see how they couldn't have given that Nunes pen being as it was obviously a foul.

This is just confirmation bias.

Did I imagine Sterling winning a penalty at Molineux in 2019, the ref must have "seen" it...

There isn't a hard and fast rule other than they're mostly rubbish so cock it up when they shouldn't. I don't see how they couldn't have given that Nunes pen being as it was obviously a foul.
It was Mahrez and they've changed it since then to be more supportive of the on field decision where the ref has a clear view. That's not opinion @Johnny75 it's openly stated

United got that one through VAR nine days ago. The ref wasn't impeded and wasn't far away. Still overturned.

Without wishing to shapeshift handballs are different as we've seen a couple of times at Molineux this season.

Surely we just need to agree that VAR is fine, but the officials in this country are a level somewhere in the basement below appalling on the first floor and they are absolutely the issue.

They are all incompetent. Not corrupt. Just totally unable to actually do their jobs.

When gesticulating to the ref he was tapping his upper arm, suggesting the player pulled him back on that part of the body. I'm guessing he was referring to the shirt pull though on that side of his body.
That’s what he’s said on Instagram.

2435DAB1-7841-44B4-8B74-3C2BBEC0D664.jpeg

ZealousFabulousGerbil-size_restricted.gif

Surely we just need to agree that VAR is fine, but the officials in this country are a level somewhere in the basement below appalling on the first floor and they are absolutely the issue.

They are all incompetent. Not corrupt. Just totally unable to actually do their jobs.
You lost me at this bit! I don't agree that VAR adds any value to the game whatsoever, and unlike DW's feelings about the non-pen Vs Forest, I did move on much more quickly without knowing there were 2 incompetent levels of scrutiny.

Maybe I worded it wrong. VAR as a CONCEPT is fine. Its implementation is an absolute fucking joke, and its running by incompetent cretins ruins any value it could add to the game.

Back