• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

I'm not sure Langers. Certainly not corruption throughout the lot of them but it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them were involved in spot fixing or deliberately giving certain decisions.

Didn't Halsey come out at one time after he retired and said it all goes on within PGMOL?

Mark Halsey talks utter shit.

I think a lot of the problem is there are no consequences for them being shit at their jobs. They should all be sacked for that crap at the weekend or made to retrain or undergo some kind of course but they just say”yeah that was wrong lol” and they’re back in the box again next week

Something dodgy is going on though, over 120 penalties for Man City so far this season...

I'm not sure Langers. Certainly not corruption throughout the lot of them but it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of them were involved in spot fixing or deliberately giving certain decisions.

Didn't Halsey come out at one time after he retired and said it all goes on within PGMOL?
The problem with that argument is that it's not just one or two who act in this way. Rather, there are just one or two exceptions to the general standard of incompetence.

I think a lot of the problem is there are no consequences for them being shit at their jobs. They should all be sacked for that crap at the weekend or made to retrain or undergo some kind of course but they just say”yeah that was wrong lol” and they’re back in the box again next week

Completely agree with this. Also, nonsense such as being unable to appeal yellow cards and the fact they're seemingly immune from criticism without the league throwing fines around doesn't sit well with me.

I've never had a problem with the idea of VAR but how on earth are we now at a place where we have this technology but the way different officials 'interpret' decisions is so inconsistent/wrong on a weekly basis?

VAR will work once there isn't a committee of trained chimps looking at screens.

I've never had a problem with the idea of VAR but how on earth are we now at a place where we have this technology but the way different officials 'interpret' decisions is so inconsistent/wrong on a weekly basis?
Potter hit the nail on the head in in his post match interview saying you won't have consistency as it's human beings making decisions. I agree with Danny Murphy on MOTD, he took it too passively and that handball shouldn't have been up for interpretation.

Drawing lines in the wrong place, not drawing them or missing the offside completely is just rank incompetence

Last edited:
The excuses they come out with or just simply refusing to acknowledge some of these diabolical decisions exacerbates the issue I think. The standard of officiating has gone so far down the pan it's in the sewers, it really is fucking dreadful, yet we're peddled absolute horseshit for excuses and are expected to lap it up and overlook just how wank they are. The disallowed goal against Liverpool still hasn't been explained or justified at all yet it's completely acceptable according to the PGMOL, instances like that are going to induce conspiracy theories of corruption because while it most definitely wasn't bent it certainly fucking looked it.

These refs are just so incompetent and DO carry some form of unconscious bias and/or preconceived ideas they really should be held to task instead of being wrapped up and protected by their paymasters only to go out and do the same things again and again. The whole world can see how shit they are and the PGMOL is showing the world how fucking arrogant they are. It needs to stop because they're killing the game with their egos and incompetence.

EDIT: Can these posts get moved to a new thread in Other Sport? I think this conversation deserves a thread of its own and will run and run and run and run...

Nah, somebody took a quote from his book and then tacked on a load of invented bollocks about spot fixing and corruption, made it into a meme and it's still going strong today

I see that Lee Mason was on VAR duty for the Arsenal game. Didn't Nuno get fined for making a comment about him not being up to standard. It shows how right he was.

VAR will work once there isn't a committee of trained chimps looking at screens.
I regularly harp on about the standard of officiating and player behaviour in rugby and how it compares brilliantly to the utter show you see in football as they're very similar sports in terms of the requirements of officials; as opposed to cricket where it's very different.

And if you look at the Six Nations where officials all have microphones, and you can hear the two-way conversations between the on-field referee and the TMO (VAR equivalent), everything is completely above board and completely understandable to all.

It's VERY rare that a TMO comes out with an incorrect decision - and where they do, it's generally only because of how the on-field official has phrased the request to the TMO (such as "is there any reason why I can't give the try" versus "can you see a reason I can award a try"), which was relatively common early on, but has got so much better in the years since. Yellow cards are quickly checked with TMO to ensure they've got them correct - which would have stopped the stupidity of Lemina's second.

They'll never do it, but if VAR behaved like TMO, then we'd all be in a much better position.

Last edited:
I see that Lee Mason was on VAR duty for the Arsenal game. Didn't Nuno get fined for making a comment about him not being up to standard. It shows how right he was.
Lee Mason has been dropped from the VAR panel for the next two matches.

Still being paid no doubt. Harsh times.

I regularly harp on about the standard of officiating and player behaviour in rugby and how it compares brilliantly to the utter show you see in football as they're very similar sports in terms of the requirements of officials; as opposed to cricket where it's very different.

And if you look at the Six Nations where officials all have microphones, and you can hear the two-way conversations between the on-field referee and the TMO (VAR equivalent), everything is completely above board and completely understandable to all.

It's VERY rare that a TMO comes out with an incorrect decision - and where they do, it's generally only because of how the on-field official has phrased the request to the TMO (such as "is there any reason why I can't give the try"), which was relatively common early on, but has got so much better in the years since. Yellow cards are quickly checked with TMO to ensure they've got them correct - which would have stopped the stupidity of Lemina's second.

They'll never do it, but if VAR behaved like TMO, then we'd all be in a much better position.
I think its based upon the very old, deeply embedded thinking that we're the refs and our decision is final to now where things are moving at a glacial speed to be (a tiny, tiny) bit more transparent, but I honestly think the refs lack the confidence to join in, or even allow the commentators to interview them after the game, either before or after the managers (preferably before).
Howard Webb would do really well to address the whole issue of transparency and as many of us including Mr Bus just now that we should trial the open refereeing model they use in Rugby.
With so much at stake, we could still be in the cup having beaten Liverpool and Salah's goal being ruled out if the standard of reffing was hugely improved.

15 seconds before the sending off Jarred Gillett deems this shirt pull on Lemina not a foul.

Ref.jpg

He's made his decision to send Lemina off even before he's left the 18-yard box.

Lemina isn't even the third player to move towards Gillett if you count Sarabia's protest.

Ref2.jpg

Last edited:
Back