• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 1-2 Wolves: Verdict Thread

It's not an opinion, it's fact. Please explain how it isn't?
It depends what you believe. 'The camera wasn't working' seems a convenient excuse to me and why weren't the other angles explored.
Wasn't it Dean that was reported to use the linesman's flag as 'the default' position, which was controversial in itself.

It depends what you believe. 'The camera wasn't working' seems a convenient excuse to me and why weren't the other angles explored.
Wasn't it Dean that was reported to use the linesman's flag as 'the default' position, which was controversial in itself.

I dunno, this is a bit tin hat for me. I think the camera not being in position is factual and the fact the ref flags hamstrings them really as they are trying to see whether it's definitively wrong.

I dunno, this is a bit tin hat for me. I think the camera not being in position is factual and the fact the ref flags hamstrings them really as they are trying to see whether it's definitively wrong.
In counter to that (and I have absolutely no idea why they made the decisions they did) shots were soon available from different cameras from other sources. Surely a professional organisation should be able to figure that out.

And the ref didn’t flag as he obviously can’t. But neither did the linesman. The linesman started to run back to the halfway line indicating he was happy with the goal but the ref signalled for him to flag.

Like I say I doubt the ref thought “Fuck that I don’t want Liverpool going out” or was instructed from elsewhere to do so to ensure a higher profile team got through to earn bigger TV audiences, but on face value it does look as dodgy as fuck.

In counter to that (and I have absolutely no idea why they made the decisions they did) shots were soon available from different cameras from other sources. Surely a professional organisation should be able to figure that out.

And the ref didn’t flag as he obviously can’t. But neither did the linesman. The linesman started to run back to the halfway line indicating he was happy with the goal but the ref signalled for him to flag.

Like I say I doubt the ref thought “Fuck that I don’t want Liverpool going out” or was instructed from elsewhere to do so to ensure a higher profile team got through to earn bigger TV audiences, but on face value it does look as dodgy as fuck.

The ref thought it was offside and it's within his remit to instruct the linesman to flag. Neither are really able to see for certain so that's an error in itself, I do agree about the images being available elsewhere but I'm guessing the framework for var is pretty rigid and you can only use that footage.

I can't see how, he was perpendicular to the situation and wouldn't have had a clue either way?

In aware. I said in the next line neither were in position to see for certain.

The ref thought it was offside and it's within his remit to instruct the linesman to flag. Neither are really able to see for certain so that's an error in itself, I do agree about the images being available elsewhere but I'm guessing the framework for var is pretty rigid and you can only use that footage.
I can’t think of any other instance where a ref has told a linesman he’s missed an offside. Especially when he can’t even see it. Can you?

I can’t think of any other instance where a ref has told a linesman he’s missed an offside. Especially when he can’t even see it. Can you?

I've seen plenty signal to the linesman yes. Whether that's offside or throw ins, happens a lot.

Throw ins that’s a joke. Linesman 5 feet away waiting for a decision from a ref 50 yards away. Our officials are not fit for purpose.

I've seen plenty signal to the linesman yes. Whether that's offside or throw ins, happens a lot.
Plenty of occasions that refs signal to a linesman to flag for offside or a throw in? How bizarre, can’t say I’ve ever seen that.

Is this not the one we were talking about? If so then again, why does the ref signal for an offside he has no right in deciding? He has absolutely no idea what is offside or not from wheee he is.

And where are the other instances of refs telling linesmen to flag for offside or throw ins? One instance (one extremely dodgy looking instance) isn’t ‘often’.

Refs always tell the lino which way to flag for throw ins. Offside, much less so.

They do it when the lino is stood 5 yards away from where the ball went out.

and the ref is 40 yards away. Does my Swede in.

Now that we have goal line technology and VAR*, linos are redundant.

*Obviously even though it should literally be impossible to fuck an offside up from Stockley Park they still manage it, but the linesmen neither help nor hinder that

Is this not the one we were talking about? If so then again, why does the ref signal for an offside he has no right in deciding? He has absolutely no idea what is offside or not from wheee he is.

And where are the other instances of refs telling linesmen to flag for offside or throw ins? One instance (one extremely dodgy looking instance) isn’t ‘often’.

I agree he has no business doing it but it does happen.

You must be the only person who hadn't noticed it. Throw ins on a regular basis, offsides I've seen a few and they are usually from set piece situations.

On occasions even though the ref is further away he will have a better view than the linesman and I’ve no issue if the linesman is unsure who got the last touch he/she waits to see if the ref can help. It’s working as a team and good officiating but hard to see how a ref ever gets a better view of an offside call.

Back