• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 3-1 Wolves: The Verdict

Bottom line is we're brilliant on the counter attack and generally well organised and good at soaking up pressure. Difficult to play like that when teams near the bottom stick ten men behind the ball.
We need to work out how to play against that.

It's worse than that. Netto level cornrows, wherever he's using needs shutting down. He looks as bad as Andy Carroll did.

Carroll.gif

Just to finish the above nonsense - if more than one person disagrees with you, it isn't a "clique" FFS. No one is ganging up on you. Do I know those people? Yes. Have I spoken to any of them today, via any medium other than the open part of this forum? No.

We're not rounding each other up and saying "here look, I think this is a load of bollocks, back me up m8" FFS.

Maybe you should wonder that if everyone disagrees with you, maybe you might be talking bubbles. Just maybe.

This season isn't a failure. we could lose every game till the end of the season and it still wouldn't be a failure. This isn't just the best season we have had in the EPL, this is the best side that's ever been promoted to the EPL.

People are arguing over whether we should get into Europe next year, previously it was whether we would survive a hard relegation battle.

This year we bought Raul Jiminez. We bought Leander Dendoncker, arguably, the missing piece of the jigsaw.

I remember when that was Frankowski.

We are a work in progress. Long may that continue

It can be hard to remember sometimes (football is emotional, ay it), but yeah, this is probably the best season the club has had in 3 or 4 decades, whether we qualify for Europe or not.

I don't imagine any of the coaches, owners, or players went into this season thinking "right, we won't need to improve on anything next summer".

It can be hard to remember sometimes (football is emotional, ay it), but yeah, this is probably the best season the club has had in 3 or 4 decades, whether we qualify for Europe or not.

I don't imagine any of the coaches, owners, or players went into this season thinking "right, we won't need to improve on anything next summer".
Had this chat with Lycan about this last week. What defines our "best" recent season? Last season because we lifted a trophy (my view) or this season because we've competed with and beaten the best in the country (Lycan's view - or at least it was last week....post match...)

Last season isn't even close to this season. Who was the best team we beat, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham? Big deal.

Enjoyed it but that was very much stage one under Fosun, I never want to go back to that level ever again, it's shit.

Last season isn't even close to this season. Who was the best team we beat, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham? Big deal.

Enjoyed it but that was very much stage one under Fosun, I never want to go back to that level ever again, it's shit.
No silverware though.....

My argument, winning something is better than just beating some big clubs.

I didn't think getting relegated from the Championship was worth it so we could win League One...

(Though once we'd appointed Saunders, it was worth it so we had 0% chance of retaining him)

No silverware though.....

My argument, winning a trophy is better than just beating some big clubs.

This with knobs on. Fuck the Championship torture.

You can't beat premier league .

That said I would have happily traded a couple of wins for a cup final.

Hmmmm

So you jump from

"there is a huge difference between 7th on 65 points and 7th and 54 points" to "I would trade a couple of wins for a cup final"

That's a load of position-switching bullshit.

I have been following Wolves since 1957. I have seen it all from the great sides to the Bhattis and Saunders, and what we have now under Fosun and Nuno is the most exciting of them all.
Yesterdays game was either going to be a slamming of Southampton by hurt players or exactly as was by the same hurt players.
I felt shit Sunday night and Monday after the semi, but imagine how shit you must have felt personally losing that game as a player, with some 90 seconds to go.
What we have achieved in the last two years is nothing short of atonishing and when you consider our most expensive player is 32 million (just last week) then the future as we "up" our profile as a club and thus our attractiveness to the better players is absolutely limitless.
Jeez guys give Nuno and Fosun some time and some belief, because if Nuno ever does fuck off, as so many numpties are suggesting today, we will be in another place altogether and i am sure, not smiling as much as we are this season.
I am not sure we are ready for Europe yet, but if we get there so be it, if we don't you won't catch me crying in my cypro.

I was disappointed we lost yesterday but all the OTT reactions considering we are currently seeing what, in truth, is the best Wolves team of our lifetimes lead by the best manager are frankly ludicrous.

In addition to what others have said, its worth remembering that we are still a year ahead of schedule in Fosun's vision and the fact that we are disappointed we haven't reached the FA Cup final and are discussing the relative merits of whether we want to be in Europe or not actually show how far we have come.

6 years ago we were getting relegated to League One by Dean the fuckwit, 5 years ago this week we were promoted from League One. Just 2 years ago under Lambert we had real concerns as late as March that we may return to League One yet again.

Now we're sat 8th in the Premier League having beaten some of Europe's top sides and have just had a great day out at Wembley thanks to wins against title contenders Liverpool and Manchester United.

As good as last season was, this one is miles better.

Football can be weird.

Are we worse than Huddersfield? No
Are we better than Man U, Chelsea and Spurs - also No

Football throws up weird things all the time. Like when Leon Clarke was the most deadly forward in the championship.

It's absolutely normal for us to be hugely inconsistent this season. We are competing with other teams in that middle league for 7th spot. To be doing that is an amazing achievement. If we continue on this trajectory the future looks incredibly bright.

I think the two biggest things that have hampered us this season is just how ineffectual Costa & Traore have been. They should have been having bigger impacts than they have and have severely limited our ability to change things off the bench.

Imagine where we'd be with the pre-injury, tearing up Anfield Costa and the Traore from last season.

I have been following Wolves since 1957. I have seen it all from the great sides to the Bhattis and Saunders, and what we have now under Fosun and Nuno is the most exciting of them all.
Yesterdays game was either going to be a slamming of Southampton by hurt players or exactly as was by the same hurt players.
I felt shit Sunday night and Monday after the semi, but imagine how shit you must have felt personally losing that game as a player, with some 90 seconds to go.
What we have achieved in the last two years is nothing short of atonishing and when you consider our most expensive player is 32 million (just last week) then the future as we "up" our profile as a club and thus our attractiveness to the better players is absolutely limitless.
Jeez guys give Nuno and Fosun some time and some belief, because if Nuno ever does fuck off, as so many numpties are suggesting today, we will be in another place altogether and i am sure, not smiling as much as we are this season.
I am not sure we are ready for Europe yet, but if we get there so be it, if we don't you won't catch me crying in my cypro.

Well said sir ! ! !

I'm not so wound up about finishing 7th - it might be a hinderance next year as the club establishes itself as a top 8 team for a season or two before we move onto the top 6.

I've been following Wolves since 1968 and this is the the best team we've had since the early 1970s, and it's not the finished article.

None of the defense bar perhaps Jonny really made a case for their position not being under review this summer.

I really would like to know what is going on with Ruben as he just didn't look up for it to me. So many simple passes astray (not just from him but they stand out more from him).

From what i can gather he went straight to Portugal after the game to attend the birth of his second child. That's what's been going on with Neves recently.

I like the championship, lots of home grown players, tactics and mental strenght more important than skill levels (since mostly everyone is pretty shit), hordes of big lumps still have a place to play, etc etc.
Not that I ever want us to go back obviously, but premier league has been ruined by money imo, one player from the arab owned teams can cost more than the entire 25 player team of thw newly promoted sides, thats pretty ridiculous

A year to the day since we were promoted. We've come a long way since then and the team have given us some great memories and goals. As others have said this is the best Wolves side since the days of Doog, Richards and Waggy etc.

Back