• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton 3-1 Wolves: The Verdict

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Strange, strange game. 70% possession, looked the better team for large spells...but so rocky at the back. Not seen us all over the shop like that against anyone this season. In the end we've got away with three against, they missed two glorious chances in the first half and then a wonder save from Rui at 3-1.

Three horrible goals to give away. Organisation and awareness totally off on all of them. Traore being the worst of them on the third but at least he could say he's not a defender by nature. Mind you, I don't know what he is.

Raul's was obviously the big chance for us, totally on top and he should have buried it for 2-2. Not going to knock him after this season though.

Good news is that no-one else seems to want 7th...every chance that everyone in the pack challenging for that will end up losing this weekend.

None of the defense bar perhaps Jonny really made a case for their position not being under review this summer.

I really would like to know what is going on with Ruben as he just didn't look up for it to me. So many simple passes astray (not just from him but they stand out more from him).

Listened to most of it walking round the Mander Centre while killing time for an appointment then ended up being served by a fucking Villa fan in Specsavers. Sounded like we should have at least been level at HT but I didn’t hear enough to say that with any conviction. Not the result we’d have hoped for after last week so just time to look forward to Brighton and Arsenal now.

Listened to most of it walking round the Mander Centre while killing time for an appointment then ended up being served by a fucking Villa fan in Specsavers. Sounded like we should have at least been level at HT but I didn’t hear enough to say that with any conviction. Not the result we’d have hoped for after last week so just time to look forward to Brighton and Arsenal now.

In fairness, if our defense had played anything like they usually do we walk out of there with a point. Just three moments of total madness. But that sort of just makes things more frustrating.

On the balance of play, yes we should have been at least level. But we'd conceded two and could have easily been four down at HT.

As I say, it was uncharacteristically poor defending right from the first minute. Think Villa away last season, against better players.

Really poor today, too many players looked knackered and half a yard short. I thought the front two struggled, Neves was poor, that’s the worst I’ve seen Jonny play, and Saiss was very poor. Traore has some really good runs and then is to blame for the third goal by slowly wandering out, sums up a lot of the normal criticism of him.

The sun break in Spain is well timed, Nuno needs to get them back up for the rest of the season.

Shove Bennett back in defence, Saiss seems to be sending it off kilter, somehow.

couldn't defend the reverse pass, their number 5 had Jonny in his pocket all day at both ends, no one looked comfortable and but for Rui it could have been 5 at least. We looked like we could have played another hour and still not score another goal

Just left the ground. Piss poor performance.

Saiss and Coady and Neves had stinkers. Traore Costa and MGW changed nothing.

I fear they were broken last week. I hope I am wrong.

All over them for 30 mins of that 2nd half but with very little invention.
The subs killed our game again for me, I would have gone like for like and put Vinagre on for an obvisouly knackered Johnny and I'd have just hooked Saiss for that shit show.
Dendoncker grew into the match after a poor 1st half, Neves is just playing way too safe now, always the easy pass or ball out wide...as I say, no invention, Jota and Raul asking for through balls or little "over the top" balls but whether it's Moutinho or Neves it's back or out wide.
Defence was fucking comical at times, Boly had an awful first 15 but got better, the rest got worse.

D4CxxYAW0AIQI5C.jpg

I mean, come on Adama. You wouldn't have that down the park.

standing and watching is a trait no one seems to be able to coach out of him. He does it attacking, he does it defending. I had that coached out of me when i was about 11

It’s very poor - it’s like he plays football without really thinking, just by reacting. The getting out thing is just basic.

Moving out from a corner, especially if you are on the posts, is back to basics. Ball watching you see in parks all the time, you shouldn't see Adama do it as often as he does.

I think Nuno all week impressed upon the side that they need to relax and in the end the message worked too well.

As utterly crap as that is (and as infuriating as it is that eight months after we paid £18m for a player, we still have absolutely no use for him beyond a very, very specific 10 minute role, and he doesn't even pull that off very often), obviously the whole tone of the game is set by us conceding after about 90 seconds again. Coady switching off at Turf Moor and here Saiss came up with something out of the Richard Stearman playbook. How can you have that little awareness of where their only man in the box is? It's a routine bit of defending, not even a good ball in and he was found badly wanting.

standing and watching is a trait no one seems to be able to coach out of him. He does it attacking, he does it defending. I had that coached out of me when i was about 11

He's just football dumb. I can't remember who it was that said he's got the body of a Ferrari but the brain of a learner driver.

You just can't coach decision making into somebody who doesn't have the ability to absorb it.

I said on the match day thread, some players look mentally shot and most look physically shot. It's competing with such a small squad which has taken its toll. We all know we need more quality in depth and hopefully we address that in the summer.

Seventh is still on which is the only good news out of today.

Dickheads out in force on social media,and a complete embarrassment of a fan on radio WM saying it was the worst we'd been in 30 odd years,and he was offensive in his use of language.
Hopefully it's just a hangover from last week and the break in the sunsheeeeiiiiiiiinnnnnnneeeeeee(Tm Liam Gallagher) will help get the squad sorted

I swear some of our fan base dont deserve this club, granted another bad display but please support instead of slag off.

'I knew they would lose shouldn't have bothered coming'

'Oh here comes Costa fuck off Nuno this cunt is useless you useless cunt'

God forbid us being in a relegation scrap.

Back