• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Southampton (H) 23/11 Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am way behind guys so forgive me. How can they foul Traore everytime without a card, yet Neves makes a genuine attempt the get the ball and gets a yellow card
Yeah, extremely frustrating. Adama and Neves both booked for the first mistimed tackles they’ve made, but Traore has been booted up in the air by Vest twice and nothing.

Marriner is a genuinely terrible referee.

Pretty even, all told, though if you didn't know about the intrigue with our shape you'd probably say it was boring as hell.

We really need Raul to step up. He's a passenger at the moment.

Could have been worse. Nine games in and we're still in an identity crisis for me. Hoping to see our standard second half improvement!

Raul very isolated at times, midfield isn’t doing enough to control this unfortunately. It’s weird we haven’t carved them open but McCarthy has had to make 3 saves. Top bit of consistent refereeing from Marriner to.

Would like a bit more attacking intent from CM. Or for them to just pass the ball forwards more.

Tempo is not great. Guess we'll see if it picks up.

Pretty even game so far, think we probably just shaded it, a bit nervous with this back 4, although haven't done too bad since the first 5 minutes

Raul very isolated at times, midfield isn’t doing enough to control this unfortunately. It’s weird we haven’t carved them open but McCarthy has had to make 3 saves. Top bit of consistent refereeing from Marriner to.
I don’t buy that they’ve not had chances.

Armstrong flashes his chance inches wide. Rui makes a good save from Walcott. Both of those chances came from getting in behind Boly - then Boly himself made a good block against Adams.

I guess we should expect that against a good side, when we’ve changed our system for the first time in forever.

It’s good that we’ve worked McCarthy - would like to see us keep the ball a little better in the second half, though. We’ve been quite careless in possession.

Missed first half but seeing we’ve got a back four and both centres on their “wrong foot”

how have we played?

They’re getting really tight and pressing hard - and we’re making it hard for Raul with some of the balls humped in his general direction to bring it down and do something with it. I’d still like more from him though, he’s good enough to do something special.

Yeah, extremely frustrating. Adama and Neves both booked for the first mistimed tackles they’ve made, but Traore has been booted up in the air by Vest twice and nothing.

Marriner is a genuinely terrible referee.
Unbelievable. How these referees escape sanction for being so useless is beyond me.

Missed first half but seeing we’ve got a back four and both centres on their “wrong foot”

how have we played?
Better than we'd feared, worse than we'd hoped.

Honestly, it felt pretty much the same as any other first half this season.

We've had the best chances and their keeper has kept them in it. But we look shaky at the back and have been quite pedestrian in possession IMO. We certainly don't look as good a side as we did last season.

We've had the best chances and their keeper has kept them in it. But we look shaky at the back and have been quite pedestrian in possession IMO. We certainly don't look as good a side as we did last season.
Equally, they're a much better side than they were last season.

Being midtable is frustrating that way, IMO.

Southampton are a good side now and we're in an unusual system so it's fair there isn't much between us. We've had the best chances (just) but they've had more of the game. It's a little concerning as you'd think Neves Moutinho Dendoncker would be enough to boss most midfields.

I didn't like the back 4 personally. I don't see what we gain from the change. Donk has been invisible in CM, he'd be much better between Kilman/Boly where he can spray passes and give us a bit more defensive solidity.

I am way behind guys so forgive me. How can they foul Traore everytime without a card, yet Neves makes a genuine attempt the get the ball and gets a yellow card
Players have worked out they can foul Traore & get away with it.

Are we a bit too nice without the niggly presence of Jota? Team full of nice/honest guys will only get you so far is the perceived wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back