• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

I would say the lack of respect to the best manager we've had since Stan Cullis is more troublesome.
I don’t think that’s the case. Everyone paid their respects to Nuno as much as possible at the time the news broke he was leaving, and several weeks after that. But where do you draw the line? He’s the Spurs manager now. It’s possible to be both respectful to Nuno, but supportive of our new manager (who you’ve been extremely critical of before he’s even managed a game).

At some point though you have to move on.
I think that will come when the league starts, so luckily it's only round the corner. Then we will learn whether this was the right step by the club!

Do you mean lack of respect from Fosun or from fans?

I think everyone on here has been respectful of what he achieved. Having a big dip in his last season (a 1/4 of his time with us) is still worth factoring in though, and only fair if we're looking at Bruno and Sa's CV's in the cold light of day?
Both, really.

I'll give Lage a fair go, I think it's perfectly fair to be sceptical though. If we appointed say, Mark Hughes, would everyone say "you need to give him a chance before saying anything", of course they wouldn't.

Reactions: jlo
Both, really.

I'll give Lage a fair go, I think it's perfectly fair to be sceptical though. If we appointed say, Mark Hughes, would everyone say "you need to give him a chance before saying anything", of course they wouldn't.
We know Hughes would be shit, we don't know Lage will be.

Skepticism is fair of anything new appointment / signing whether you think they'll be good or bad.

I don't think anyone is being disrespectful to Nuno.

Both, really.

no way has there been a lack of respect from the fans for Nuno apart from maybe a few nobheads, certainly not on here.
Initially I was sceptical about Lage and Sa, but I've just had to let that go......it would drive me nuts otherwise.

Both, really.

Comparing Lage to Mark bloody Hughes is surely stretching things. We'd be furious at hiring Hughes because we know he's awful, we've all seen him be awful with our own eyes.

Lage may turn out to be that bad, but making the comparison now is just... Well, I don't see where you're coming from, I guess.

Pick anyone you like.

The fact is that he objectively has nothing like the kind of record that the bloke we've just sacked (and then joined a much bigger club) has.

What has Nuno won in his managerial career, I honestly can't remember. The Championship title with us obviously, but what had he won in Portugal and Spain?

00C520CB-EE68-47EE-8147-152203800BF1.jpeg
Looks like we’re cashing in. I’d be surprised if we don’t insert some sort of sell on clause in to the deal.

What has Nuno won in his managerial career, I honestly can't remember. The Championship title with us obviously, but what had he won in Portugal and Spain?
No trophies but got Rio Ave into Europe and (I think) Valencia into the CL

That's quite a reductive argument. Would you rather have Steve McClaren or Julian Nagelsmann? Because one has won domestic trophies and one hasn't.

Also pretty sure Nuno didn't preside over literally the worst run in history for the biggest club in the country but I'm willing to be corrected if he did.

No trophies but got Rio Ave into Europe and (I think) Valencia into the CL
So nothing of note then? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lage has won the Portuguese title? Albeit with a much bigger team than Rio Ave.

That's quite a reductive argument. Would you rather have Steve McClaren or Julian Nagelsmann? Because one has won domestic trophies and one hasn't.

Also pretty sure Nuno didn't preside over literally the worst run in history for the biggest club in the country but I'm willing to be corrected if he did.
It's not a reductive argument, it's a pertinent one surely? I'm just trying to work out on what basis yourself and others are stating that Nuno is far superior to Lage? The facts don't really support that do they? You're basing it seemingly on your admiration for Nuno and little other supporting evidence. You may well be correct in your assessment of Lage, but to state it so categorically and so repeatedly seems remarkably disingenuous to me, when there just isn't enough evidence to go on either way.

And honestly, you said earlier you're willing to give Lage a chance, but your posts about him make me seriously doubt that. You seem to have made up your mind on him already which is a real shame.

If any other club made this appointment, we'd be wondering what on earth they were up to. He doesn't have the background you would expect a top 10 Premier League club (which we still would have been last season if Raul had been fit, whatever you think about how we played) to handpick as their manager. Not even close.

Spurs have qualified for Europe every single season since 2011. So Nuno is good enough for them but not good enough for us, and Bruno Lage (who has basically half a good season on his CV, with the biggest team in the country) is better? That's some hard sell.

I mean, there's also the fact that Nuno's a panic appointment for Spurs after exhausting all their other options, and I'm not frankly convinced that it's the right move for either him or them.

Honestly, Nuno at Spurs is every bit as likely to go tits-up as Lage at Wolves- they're both risky appointments.

Spurs have qualified for Europe every single season since 2011. So Nuno is good enough for them but not good enough for us,
To be fair, Spurs went through 9 of their top 10 before Nuno was on the scene. They even agreed deals with 2 managers, one of which changed his mind over night and one they binned because their fans went off on one.

As I stated a while ago in the Bruno Lage Appreciation thread, everyone has to start somewhere. Pep Guardiola hadn't won anything with the Barcelona B team before winning the treble with them in his first season. Some people just need a chance to prove themselves, and maybe Lage will sink, or maybe he will swim. We shall see, I'm not writing him off based on the last like you seem willing to do.

Back