• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

The following with first team experience (however limited) are out of contract this summer, some of them we probably have options on:

Saiss (we definitely have a year's option)
Ruddy
Perry
Campbell
Samuels

Plus of course we have to make a decision on all of Vitinha, Ait-Nouri and José.

Vitinha has looked good but it worries me the reluctance to use him apart from as a late sub
I don't think that's particularly worrying- they'd have done the same with Silva if they could have, and we know that he's thought highly of.

The following with first team experience (however limited) are out of contract this summer, some of them we probably have options on:

Saiss (we definitely have a year's option)
Ruddy
Perry
Campbell
Samuels

Plus of course we have to make a decision on all of Vitinha, Ait-Nouri and José.
I'd be keeping Saiss, Perry and Campbell. Maybe Ruddy on reduced wage

Ruddy will leave.
Ruddy probably needs to leave - has a few years left in him, but not long term at this level.

Depends if he just wants to sit on the bench with the odd few cup games & a chance if there is an injury or wants to play regularly.

I don't think we should either, but having the ability to helps a lot. As PQ says, having options means the opposition have got to second guess you. Have one set up then the opposition can figure you out, as we saw on numerous occasions.

If you're good enough it doesn't matter if they 'figure you out'. Knowing what you want to do and stopping it are two different things.

Not advocating never playing 3 at the back, just feel that 4 is the way to go, especially if the 3 are predominately out of our current crop

If you're good enough it doesn't matter if they 'figure you out'. Knowing what you want to do and stopping it are two different things.

Not advocating never playing 3 at the back, just feel that 4 is the way to go, especially if the 3 are predominately out of our current crop
Fair enough. You think we aren't good enough. I think we are, and we have the bulk of the players to make it happen.
Who thought there could be a difference of an opinion on a forum eh....

Think Ruddy will leave and Sarkic will be back up next season. Sondergaard could possibly do with a loan.

definitely extend Saiss deal. I’d be surprised if we let Perry go for nothing as he’s been a very strong performer at U23s and the plan was for him to go on loan but clearly couldn’t find a club for him.

Campbell unless something has really gone wrong (not been in the u23s side a lot this season) will get a deal too. samuels I really doubt will be given a deal

Fair enough. You think we aren't good enough. I think we are, and we have the bulk of the players to make it happen.

Nuno obviously doesn't think we're good enough yet either, hence trying to evolve the way we play. I think the extra midfielder playing a 4 gets us gives us a better chance of being a more dominant team eventually, rather than one that always fits around what the opposition are doing

I don't think that's particularly worrying- they'd have done the same with Silva if they could have, and we know that he's thought highly of.
But we own Silva we have a decision to make on Vitinha

Nuno obviously doesn't think we're good enough yet either, hence trying to evolve the way we play. I think the extra midfielder playing a 4 gets us gives us a better chance of being a more dominant team eventually, rather than one that always fits around what the opposition are doing
Yes, he's trying to evolve the way we play. Which means able to play differently to each opponent. Man City change shape during their games. That is how you do it, but you need specific players to be able to do this. I think we are 2 or 3 short to implement this, so we won't see a big change till we get a pre season and those different players.

Yes, he's trying to evolve the way we play. Which means able to play differently to each opponent.
Those two just aren't necessarily connected at all.

Since you mention City, they don't give a shit how Burnley set up, they just steamroller them because the way they play is so effective and they have the quality players to do it.

City aren't a realistic benchmark for us, but if we harbour ambitions in the PL then dominating teams often means playing to your own strengths rather than tweaking to accommodate your opponent, imo

Those two just aren't necessarily connected at all.

Since you mention City, they don't give a shit how Burnley set up, they just steamroller them because the way they play is so effective and they have the quality players to do it.

City aren't a realistic benchmark for us, but if we harbour ambitions in the PL then dominating teams often means playing to your own strengths rather than tweaking to accommodate your opponent, imo
Our 3-5-2 was playing to our strengths for 2 seasons. We couldn't get round all those teams who just played 5-4-1, but could get round the "top 6" sides who played a different, more expansive game. You have to beat more than 6 of the teams.
City do what they do because they have world class players all over the pitch, and on the bench. We have some, but not all of them are.
What i'm saying is for our team you need to play different formations for different teams, and sometimes change that during a game.
If that means we are dominating games then good. But have just one system then eventually you get found out. And the longer you play against the same teams the more chance of that happening imo.

Vitinha has looked good but it worries me the reluctance to use him apart from as a late sub
Only RAN so far for me but there is still time for the others to prove their worth

Think Ruddy will leave and Sarkic will be back up next season. Sondergaard could possibly do with a loan.

definitely extend Saiss deal. I’d be surprised if we let Perry go for nothing as he’s been a very strong performer at U23s and the plan was for him to go on loan but clearly couldn’t find a club for him.

Campbell unless something has really gone wrong (not been in the u23s side a lot this season) will get a deal too. samuels I really doubt will be given a deal
He's been injured since the 23's beat Fulham in November and made his comeback in the last 23's game against Stoke. Was probably just about to start getting more game time too as he played 75 mins in the Fulham game.

I think we'll sign all 3, but I don't think I'd sign any of them based on what we've seen so far.
Get an alternative left back from the Championship or bring Vinagre back.
Sign a more mobile midfielder than Vitinha appears to be and a more versatile forward than WJ.

I'd be happy for Vitinha to have a run of games between now and the end of the season to see what he can do

I don't think we'll sign José unless he goes on some kind of crazy scoring run (seems unlikely), we just don't shell out those kind of sums on players of that profile.

If he were half the price then maybe but why would Sociedad agree to that?

He's been injured since the 23's beat Fulham in November and made his comeback in the last 23's game against Stoke. Was probably just about to start getting more game time too as he played 75 mins in the Fulham game.
That is good to hear

I don't think we'll sign José unless he goes on some kind of crazy scoring run (seems unlikely), we just don't shell out those kind of sums on players of that profile.

If he were half the price then maybe but why would Sociedad agree to that?
Jose needs to show a bit more (IMO) to earn himself a deal, but I suppose whether we sign him or not depends on how confident we are in getting a better option in the next window for as similar fee. Can't see I hold much confidence that we'll be able to do that, but you never know. All I know is, we absolutely must not be left in a position where Fabio is the only back-up to Raul again. Especially as we have no idea what sort of shape Raul will be coming back in.

Back