• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Hwang makes sense to me in that we need a forward who can cover across the front line, so I don't mind a squad player in that position.

Upgrades at CB and CM are a must to me
Agreed, unless Raul is gone and we shouldn't think that nor plan for that then from what you guys say Hwang is what we need. The other 2 positions would be criminal to not upgrade. We know what the manager we wanted, we know how he wants to play, after watching that it's even more clear why an extra offensive player for a defensive one makes sense, but the 7 behind have to be right

If we aren't getting Botman, then signing an equally good CM would do me.

We look alright at the back right now.
Fat chance. Not a whisper about anyone- we've known about Botman and Caleta-Car for a week.

Spiers put on his club mouthpiece hat and told us that we aren't even looking, because Lage's magically become happy with us having three players for two positions in the face of everything else we've heard from him since he walked through the door.

It may be that Botman was too expensive or we could have found someone better for half the price.

That may just be me being an optimist.

Hwang makes sense to me in that we need a forward who can cover across the front line, so I don't mind a squad player in that position.

Upgrades at CB and CM are a must to me
Yeah definitely, and given our numbers/investment in those areas that was always going to be the cheap/loan. But we need serious improvement at CB and CM to make this work properly

This is from Fulham's website re their player of the year award:

Alphonse Areola has been voted by the fans as Fulham’s 2020/21 Player of the Season.

It was a three-horse race throughout, with Areola, Joachim Andersen and Harrison Reed claiming 89.4 per cent of all votes cast.

Reed came in third with 22.1 per cent, Andersen second with 31.2, while Areola claimed the trophy by taking 36.1 per cent of the ballot.

I've got no problem at all in signing players from relegated teams but you'd at least hope they'd be stand out performers, which it doesn't look like he was. Fulham were shit last year.

So far it looks like we are turning another profit in the transfer market again.

Unless our wage bill has doubled since 2020 then that’s a load of bollocks from Jeff/Fosun

Be interesting to see if Percy follows it up saying we have dropped out. Not that I’ve ever known Fab be wrong

It may be that Botman was too expensive or we could have found someone better for half the price.

That may just be me being an optimist.
I wish I could be optimistic, but that feels closer to delusion to me.

Botman's the latest in a long line of the club chasing a signing who's not coming to us up until the last minute, and ending up with nothing. It happened with Locadia, Zinchenko, Dias, and lo and behold we're here again. Best case scenario we panic and throw some cash around for a player a fraction as good, but odds are decent we just end up with nothing.

If I were Lage, and I'd been that unequivocal about what I need, I'd be seriously considering my position.

Glad I’ve not got many of you negotiating on our behalf - you’d spaff millions unnecessarily just to try to get a deal done quickly at the first rebuttal - let’s see what tomorrow brings when time gets short for the selling clubs and target players.

This is from Fulham's website re their player of the year award:

Alphonse Areola has been voted by the fans as Fulham’s 2020/21 Player of the Season.

It was a three-horse race throughout, with Areola, Joachim Andersen and Harrison Reed claiming 89.4 per cent of all votes cast.

Reed came in third with 22.1 per cent, Andersen second with 31.2, while Areola claimed the trophy by taking 36.1 per cent of the ballot.

I've got no problem at all in signing players from relegated teams but you'd at least hope they'd be stand out performers, which it doesn't look like he was. Fulham were shit last year.
Ramsdale got sheff Uniteds POTS

Glad I’ve not got many of you negotiating on our behalf - you’d spaff millions unnecessarily just to try to get a deal done quickly at the first rebuttal - let’s see what tomorrow brings when time gets short for the selling clubs and target players.

Yeah, I don’t feel like it is dead YET… sounds like we are being dickheads with Lille to get a reduced fee.

There's been a few hours between the tweets so entirely possible something's happened in the meantime.

And/or Romano's getting his info from the Lille end of things vs Percy hearing from Wolves, who (possibly) have misguided confidence. Spiers did say it was unlikely too.

Either way it was already going to be something of a coup to pull off, time running down suggests it's not happening.

This isn't the first rebuttal- we already had that last week. This is negotiations irreparably breaking down.

Romano isn't some two-bit hype merchant- if he says it, it's as good as gospel.

Because last day deals go hand in hand with good value and quality players?

I am not ready to call it a disaster but heading into the final day with only having 6 incomings, one of who was immediately loaned out and one was was needed due to being a replacement for Rui isn't what anyone wanted. We still haven't expanded the squad and we have already had a few injury setbacks this season, it's at best less than ideal.

So we’ve signed Trincao who to be fair looks good so far and another forward who can’t score and that looks like it? Hard to call it a successful window! Only having 3 central midfielders (for the third season in a row?)is shocking squad management tbh

It could be us playing hard ball knowing that Kounde is unlikely to leave Seville. Maybe we're trying to make Lille worry they won't be able to sell Botman, and if they need the cash it could be a worry for them if they don't end up selling.

Wishful thinking on my part for sure, but you never know

If we end up without another CB and CM it is a very disappointing window and Bruno has been thrown under the bus by the club.

Well said Jabba. I totally agree. So much speculation. We are not going to sign top players they would cost too much money.

Back