• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

is there the potential we could invert the 3 at the back? I know Johnny hates the horse shoe shape we seem to have.
If Coady were to move in front of the other 2 CH's, it allows the 2 CMs to push forwards.
Guess the risk is the gap between the 2 wider CHs though.

As a sweeper. I think I’ve been fairly consistent about preferring 3-4-3. A replacement for Moutinho, Raul back and a new RCB and im happy.
I wouldn’t have a problem with this but we have to invest in an inside forward who can do a job like Jota. Can’t be depending on Neto, Adama and the oft broken Podence.

Is Boly even the right CB for a 4 ATB, is it my imagination or does he sometimes switch off during games? When he's on it, he's a monster for sure.

is there the potential we could invert the 3 at the back? I know Johnny hates the horse shoe shape we seem to have.
If Coady were to move in front of the other 2 CH's, it allows the 2 CMs to push forwards.
I'd rather have an extra man in midfield and Neves doing that personally

I haven't mentioned top 6, getting back to the top 8 is enough for me after this season!

I said I'd like to see Coady in that role more before I write him off. It's cool if most of you already feel you know his time of playing a part is over, but people also thought Doc and Bennett wouldn't cut it in the PL, and they both played an important role. You can name all the attributes you like, that's not all that makes a player. Coady could yet continue to surprise everyone for a little longer during this evolution.

If we're just jettisoning players due to perceived weaknesses then we're talking revolution and there's a big out tray coming this summer
Top 6, top 8. Not really any different, be 3 points between them really.

I’m not writing him off. He’s just not a top half CB in a 4. I don’t really think he’s a top half in a 3, but that’s a seperate debate.

You say it’s not about attributes, it literally is. That’s why Paul Merson played at the highest level and I’m sat at home talking to you on a football forum! There’s tons of really good players I’ve played with. But despite their brain being amazing, they just weren’t quick enough, strong enough, fit enough, wrong place wrong time, didn’t get the opportunity etc.

We don’t need revolution. We could be performing better getting more out of our players tactically. Better players obviously help with that.

I'd rather have an extra man in midfield and Neves doing that personnally
I think that’s a waste of Neves ability, he’s far better further forward where he can dictate play further up the pitch.

Basically you’re just describing a 4-3-3 and moving Coady back to a DM which he was shit at in the championship!

Why? It’s not as though a back 4 was some master plan, it was a knee jerk reaction to Coady being out. It was hardly successful, you could arguably say it was an utter disaster.
The Academy teams appear to now be playing a back four, I think it's part of the plan to allow us to become more flexible and evolve as a team.

The Academy teams appear to now be playing a back four, I think it's part of the plan to allow us to become more flexible and evolve as a team.
Good case in point, if this was the plan at the start of the season why have they only just started it now?

I think that’s a waste of Neves ability, he’s far better further forward where he can dictate play further up the pitch.
I agree, but in LJ's example of a 4141 or variation of I'd rather have Neves there than Coady. Personally I'd play 4231 with a new ch and mobile AM

Good case in point, if this was the plan at the start of the season why have they only just started it now?
I think Nuno/the coaching staff have just seen the potential benefits to the back four, or more so, an attacking midfielder behind a forward, and how it improves our attacking player.

Personally I think he has always wanted us to become gradually more flexible (last season this was being able to switch formations during game, but maintaining a back three as a foundation) - I just think the transition to also being able to play a four was accelerated during a season where we had dropped off performance wise anyway.

I think Nuno/the coaching staff have just seen the potential benefits to the back four, or more so, an attacking midfielder behind a forward, and how it improves our attacking player.

Personally I think he has always wanted us to become gradually more flexible (last season this was being able to switch formations during game, but maintaining a back three as a foundation) - I just think the transition to also being able to play a four was accelerated during a season where we had dropped off performance wise anyway.
I don’t disagree with that at all - we definitely needed to be more innovative and erratic (though Adama covers all that by himself in part). But 3 at the back has served us exceptionally well and, in the main, we have the players (and bought the players) to match. Good to have 4 as an option, but there is no way we can call it a success so far or even that it’s given much indication that it could be a success.

Assuming we go to four at the back the reason I think we need two is that one injury immediately makes us much weaker as I have no faith in any of our existing CHs in a 4 other than Boly. The last thing we want is having to switch back to 5 because of an injury. Obviously we need a first choice CH but I'd be looking for a younger player to come in too with a view to competing for a starting place as Boly. Alternatively a wise old head - but not Jagielka old! If we have to sell Coady to fund it so be it.

Sell Coady to buy someone like Jagielka..?

Top 6, top 8. Not really any different, be 3 points between them really.

I’m not writing him off. He’s just not a top half CB in a 4. I don’t really think he’s a top half in a 3, but that’s a seperate debate.

You say it’s not about attributes, it literally is. That’s why Paul Merson played at the highest level and I’m sat at home talking to you on a football forum! There’s tons of really good players I’ve played with. But despite their brain being amazing, they just weren’t quick enough, strong enough, fit enough, wrong place wrong time, didn’t get the opportunity etc.

We don’t need revolution. We could be performing better getting more out of our players tactically. Better players obviously help with that.

There's a lot to admire about Coady, and while he's limited and wouldn't be first choice in a 4 with a new CB and fit Boly he could still have something to offer and exceed expectations.

Him stepping into a 4 when needed next season is a more realistic scenario than us signing two better players than him in the summer imo

Noooo!!!! To buy a CH and a relatively cheap back up who can play in a 4.

To do that we'd be surely shifting two or even three out of Coady, Kilman, Saiss and Donk, and then we have this extra player who is better than Coady happy to hang out on the bench? Unrealistic, and also too much in one window imo

If we get the CB signing right I’d be fine with Boly, new guy, Coady, Saiss as the options. I think at this point now time for Kilman to go somewhere and be first choice, he’s done very well to get to this point. If Swansea don’t go up I think he’d do wel on the left of their back 3

There's a lot to admire about Coady, and while he's limited and wouldn't be first choice in a 4 with a new CB and fit Boly he could still have something to offer and exceed expectations.

Him stepping into a 4 when needed next season is a more realistic scenario than us signing two better players than him in the summer imo
Literally one person has said sign 2, but now you seem to be defending it like the world is against you.

I agree with what you’re saying, I think everyone does!

Literally one person has said sign 2, but now you seem to be defending it like the world is against you.

I agree with what you’re saying, I think everyone does!

If everyone agrees then why were people jumping in with exhaustive lists of his defects when all I was saying was I wanted to see more of him in a four before writing him off?

That response was more appropriate if I was advocating him playing with the new guy instead of Boly. You can't moan about an OTT defence of a point when you've just attacked it in an OTT way!

Back