• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

So? That's irrelevant to the discussion. :confused:
"if Dendoncker was shite you'd expect him not to get picked for a very good international side ever, but he does and did when he signed him."

They have 6/7 top class players and nothing below it, which is the So?

I'm pretty on the fence about him, but we're not a club where every signing has to be a superstar. As for a downturn in ambition, I don't think it's any less ambitious than signing Dendoncker?
This is the comment i was responding to, not sure why you are all talking about the bloody 2021 Euro squad.

Probably worth going back a page or so with this in mind, as some of you are arguing with a point i haven't even made.

This is the comment i was responding to, not sure why you are all talking about the bloody 2021 Euro squad.

No, you're right on this point, I should have said (what I really meant) 'significantly less ambitious'. I get your points about the profile, but I still don't think there's that much of a gap, and it becomes moot if the player doesn't get anywhere near filling that potential.

Just bring back Gued :)

I really rate Yokuslu. For that price, he will be a very astute signing for someone. I hope it's us.
Defensive midfielders are rarely exciting signings, but he's a good one.

In terms of relegated midfielders, I also think we could do a lot worse than Berge and/or Anguissa

Sure he credits Bruno as being his main mentor in football as well. I mean it won't happen but it's nice to dream.

I’ve said if before, but Donck looks like a CB playing in CM and a CM playing at CB.

His ability on the ball for a PL footballer is appalling. I expect more from my midfielder than returning a pass back the way it came regardless of position on the pitch or how much space he’s in. Actually a detriment to the team in the attacking third.

As Deano said, his biggest attribute is his energy. That’s not great is it at the top level. For a big lad he’s not exactly a physical powerhouse and loses 50/50s.

Yokuslu was apparently a stand out for Albion. I can’t know for sure but I doubt Donck would have gone there and stood out.

Are you basing your thoughts on last season or during his entire time with us ?

Last season we know he was poor, I don't think anyone could argue that, manager driven or otherwise. Which leaves the 2 before, you can write off the first six months in his first, in the latter 6 I thought he was alright, playing in a formation which didn't particularly suit him - although he needlessly broke all our hearts at Wembley. The season after he split between CM and RCH and was at best meh.

I think he'd suit a 352 or a 433 in a DM position, we've not done that much though

If we end up with a 25 or 26 deep squad that contains players that can play 343 or 442 effectively then I will trust their judgement. I like competition for places and 5m is better than ok! I still don’t think we are done

Is this aimed at me? Do you disagree with any of that assessment from any of his time here?

His most successful spell was in the 5-3-2. Where his role was hold shape, get out to the opposition FB/wide player and get back into shape. Then on the turnover run as fast as he can to try and get in the box and get on the end of something/ pick up bits and pieces. Limited technical requirements, emphasis on work rate and positioning.

He simply cannot play facing the wrong way though, hence the CB in CM. But then isn’t a good enough defender to be a CB. None of that mattered in the 5-3-2, but he needs to be offering more in a 3-4-3.

As TT says he could do a job in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. as the water Carrier but we don’t look like playing that

With the news Bernardo wants to leave City, maybe Uncle Jorge could put a good word in? :D
What a signing he would be. Things in our favour are he worked with Bruno at Benfica, and really likes the guy. Uncle Jorge is his agent. He's Portuguese.
Things against him are his fee would be big, and his wage demands even bigger. Would be perfect for our midfield..
OK, the pink elephant just flew past... 🤣

I really rate Yokuslu. For that price, he will be a very astute signing for someone. I hope it's us.
Defensive midfielders are rarely exciting signings, but he's a good one.

In terms of relegated midfielders, I also think we could do a lot worse than Berge and/or Anguissa
Sheff Utd want a hell of a lot of money for Berge and of course he's spent a fair old while out injured, don't think we would make that commitment (he also offers very little going forward, he pretty much never scores).

Anguissa was pretty good last season, he's on decent money but could be an option. Definitely better at carrying the ball than anything we have at the moment.

Is this aimed at me? Do you disagree with any of that assessment from any of his time here?

His most successful spell was in the 5-3-2. Where his role was hold shape, get out to the opposition FB/wide player and get back into shape. Then on the turnover run as fast as he can to try and get in the box and get on the end of something/ pick up bits and pieces. Limited technical requirements, emphasis on work rate and positioning.

He simply cannot play facing the wrong way though, hence the CB in CM. But then isn’t a good enough defender to be a CB. None of that mattered in the 5-3-2, but he needs to be offering more in a 3-4-3.

As TT says he could do a job in a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. as the water Carrier but we don’t look like playing that
It was a question, that is all, it was aimed at you as it clearly followed your post, either aimed at you or the bloke you were quoting, oh sorry that was you as well :)

It was a question, that is all, it was aimed at you as it clearly followed your post, either aimed at you or the bloke you were quoting, oh sorry that was you as well :)
What you reckon then Paul? What are your thoughts?

Back