• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Summer 2021 transfer window

Haven't really seen anyone bashing Fabio. Most if not all have said it's unfortunate for him, but the actual transfer and fee itself are what people are taking issue with, because it's directly resulted in our failure in this last window.
You got Johnny on ignore then?

That's another one isn't it, why did we stagger the Jota deal? If we need to sell to buy, why take a larger staggered fee rather than an upfront smaller fee.
Maybe we negotiated a higher total fee by letting them pay in installments.

Plus, doesn't the total fee received go on the books straight away rather than every year? I'm sure Pad said that the other day.

Then why even bother commenting then? As i said, i want to try and understand why we were targeting a player that doesn't fit in with our long term strategy.

Roberts being recommended by one of our coaching staff is far from a ridiculous theory though is it, Roberts will have worked with Moore during the Euros, so i think it's very likely it was at the very least discussed with him, to what extent who knows. Your certainty that he wasn't involved is surely supposition itself.
I never claimed any certainty about his lack of involvement, just suggested that your ridicule of the club's recruitment assuming the goalkeeping coach was playing a prominent part in target selection based on merely common nationality/previous common employers was rather presumptuous.

Maybe he was asked for his opinion, maybe he wasn't, I doubt the recruitment process is quite as straightforward as an open suggestion box where by anyone and everyone can throw a name into the ring and the club will make an offer.

Popbitch's blind items are always very carefully worded but generally drop hints - e.g. in this case "bubbling up on the books" - so maybe West Ham based on their famous song, but I can't think who they have overpaid for recently and also do they qualify as a "big club" to the average PB reader? Anyway, watch this space for exec departures I guess.

45 million for Haller was...interesting

Edit: maybe not so much, he's scored freely before and since. Still...45m

Last edited:
The e&s poddy has the tone spot on
Yep. I think Judah spoke for us all on that. Agreed with everything he said from a perspective of transfer strategy, club communication and on the specifics of each player we were linked with.

Apparently Spiers has now taken the bit about us being interested in SMS (sorry) out of his article.

I've noticed in our games he's often out on the touchline in front of Lage directing open play tactics. Strange move for a goalkeeping coach?

Isn't Pochettino's number 2, a GK coach?
Always remember seeing him out barking instructions too.

Mike Stowell (Ex Wolves), does the same sometimes at Leicester, and has done for multiple managers. (Pearson/Ranieri/Puel/Rodgers)

There's always a hunt for a scapegoat by fans whenever a 'bad decision' seems to have been made.
There is the possibility of course, than the owners didn't want to give the club funds, which means the criticism of Shi, no matter how easy and preferred, is possibly unjust.

If he had £40-60 million to spend, are we really suggesting he's looking to bring in Kieffer Moore and a loan for Renato Sanches?

Maybe we negotiated a higher total fee by letting them pay in installments.

Plus, doesn't the total fee received go on the books straight away rather than every year? I'm sure Pad said that the other day.
Reasonably certain that was reported to be the case at the time

And yes, correct - when they actually make the payments has no bearing on the accounting treatment in terms of recognising profit from the sale.

Potentially it might cause an issue from a cashflow perspective, and maybe force us to look at staggering our own payments, but it's a completely separate issue to FFP

I never claimed any certainty about his lack of involvement, just suggested that your ridicule of the club's recruitment assuming the goalkeeping coach was playing a prominent part in target selection based on merely common nationality/previous common employers was rather presumptuous.

Maybe he was asked for his opinion, maybe he wasn't, I doubt the recruitment process is quite as straightforward as an open suggestion box where by anyone and everyone can throw a name into the ring and the club will make an offer.

We used to have a fairly decent idea of what our recruitment process was, well at least the type of player we are likely to target, and 29 year old championship, journeymen strikers didn't used to be part of it. Therefore obviously i'm trying to work out how and why we are making a bid for a player of that nature, Roberts being a part of that is a logical possibility? No? A bloke who was with him on a day to day basis for a month or so 3 months ago.

From my glimpses of Roberts i don't like him, thus my umbrage to that likelihood/possibility.

But you know, Mark gotta argue.

Last edited:
If he had £40-60 million to spend, are we really suggesting he's looking to bring in Kieffer Moore and a loan for Renato Sanches?
He wasn't just after those two though was he. We made bids for Kamara (12mill), Botman (25mill) and Caleta-Car. So there must have been money there.

He wasn't just after those two though was he. We made bids for Kamara (12mill), Botman (25mill) and Caleta-Car. So there must have been money there.

If the links are true.
According to the reports which said Wolves bid for the above, they also state that Kamara+Caleta-Car rejected Wolves, and had no interest in joining.

I wonder if they were both worried about the lack of ambition the club showed in the window?

If the links are true.
According to the reports which said Wolves bid for the above, they also state that Kamara+Caleta-Car rejected Wolves, and had no interest in joining.

I wonder if they were both worried about the lack of ambition the club showed in the window?
But that's a different point, and you're believing the links for Moore and Sanches, but not believing the links to anyone else that involved a considerable fee. 🤷‍♂️

If the links are true.

Caleta-car rejected West Ham and Valencia too.

I think Kamara said he was going to run his contract down.

Caleta-car rejected West Ham and Valencia too.

I think Kamara said he was going to run his contract down.

I've read the same articles....That's the point I was making.

Caleta-Car/Kamara clearly want, what they perceive, to be a 'better club'.
I imagine the fee for Botman, rumoured to be £25 million, was less than they would expect....And were likely waiting to see what happened with Kounde, and were hoping for a windfall from Sevilla after that went through.

But that's a different point, and you're believing the links for Moore and Sanches, but not believing the links to anyone else that involved a considerable fee. 🤷‍♂️

I'm believing the links and bids for Kamara+Caleta-Car+Botman.....

But the unfortunate truth is, at least 2 of those 3, had no interest in joining.

I've read the same articles....That's the point I was making.

Caleta-Car/Kamara clearly want, what they perceive, to be a 'better club'.
I imagine the fee for Botman, rumoured to be £25 million, was less than they would expect....And were likely waiting to see what happened with Kounde, and were hoping for a windfall from Sevilla after that went through.
Who knows? Apparently Botman was happy to come here and he's probably more highly rated than both of them.

But this is all conjecture anyway

Back