• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The All New Adverts that Grind my Gears

"I have a cousin who is the daughter and sister of a well known tv producer" ????????????

I'm slowly plodding through Michael Palin's Python diairies and had to chuckle last night at one of the entries in late 1974. He was offered £4 grand for a day's work doing voice-overs for a Stone's Ginger Wine commercial. As he put it, his hands went very clammy when informed of the fee, and for a moment felt that sort of money gave greed a good name. Lovely turn of phrase. :)

I know it's been posted on here before, but for those that haven't seen it, it falls in line with SLA's post.

I don't really see how a particularly piss-poor advert - and those automated CGI efforts really are dreadul and as tired as the Downfall rips - promoting a form of puffed up sales technique reinforces Bill Hicks rant.

I don't really see how a particularly piss-poor advert - and those automated CGI efforts really are dreadul and as tired as the Downfall rips - promoting a form of puffed up sales technique reinforces Bill Hicks rant.

You don't, okay.

Too right. Off the artistic roll call for ever as the great Mr Hicks once said. It would be a little easier to take if these people kept their heads down and stuck to doing sitcoms or whatever but people like Fry and Lydon are often sticking their oar into public debates. Nick Clegg has more credibility FFS.

Since when did being paid to do a job of work suddenly make people less entitled to having an opinion? Why should people be pigeonholed and restricted to only one narrow facet of life? By your yardstick Bob Geldof's opinion's on the problems of the African continent are now completely worthless as he has done adverts for the likes of Kleenex, NS&I and the Milk Marketing Board. Bono Vox is an exception to this as his comments on the third world are sheer hypocrisy when set against his personal and corporate tax history - but that's down to his personal actions, not whether he was gurning at us all with his missus in some 'arty' ad about suitcases.

You don't, okay.

No, you don't get it. You stuck up an advert that promoted a company marketing it's service to support Bill Hicks' comments. Get the idea now? You missed the point that the crap CGI wasn't a simple diatribe against marketing, it was a marketing piece in itself to promote their company, hence the big words at the end 'MAVERICKMETHOD.COM'. Do you understand it now? ;)

0/10 for their attempt to market their product then.

I'm with you on that, it was an awful bit of work. :D

Oh, and the Maverick Method is a load of sodding basic common sense that those goat botherers expect people to pay money for. Bolleaux to that.

I have a cousin who is the daughter and sister of a well known tv producer. (One was her father, the 2nd is her brother).
She wasn't really an actress, but had appeared in a bit part in a couple of small sitcoms.

She was invited to 'do' a refrigerator advert. In California. for 4 days.

And in the finished advert the camera showed a fantastic blue sky, it panned down to show a blindingly hot desert, then it panned sideways to show a white cube that slowly appeared to be a fridge.

Then it pulled back to show this fridge sitting there in the desert, then my cousin's hand (JUST her hand!) appeared on top of the fridge and someone's voiceover came on, blah blah blah.

So everyone got flown out to California out into the desert for a week, and my cousin got £4 grand for putting her hand on a fridge for about 15 seconds.

And that was about 35 years ago! Astronomical!

That's fair enough if you are a minor actress, but I'd like to think if I was a millionaire I'd turn down adverts as I wouldn't need the money. That nespresso advert is cringeworthy, and the Hoffman sky ad makes me nauseous.

Since when did being paid to do a job of work suddenly make people less entitled to having an opinion? Why should people be pigeonholed and restricted to only one narrow facet of life? By your yardstick Bob Geldof's opinion's on the problems of the African continent are now completely worthless as he has done adverts for the likes of Kleenex, NS&I and the Milk Marketing Board. Bono Vox is an exception to this as his comments on the third world are sheer hypocrisy when set against his personal and corporate tax history - but that's down to his personal actions, not whether he was gurning at us all with his missus in some 'arty' ad about suitcases.

Once you are up for sale to the highest bidder how can you expect anybody to take you seriously when commenting on other issues? If you want to be a voiceover artist or you're a struggling actor then fair enough but this is established celebs earning huge sums of money that they don't need to assist in the creation of want. Bob Geldof was a very poor example - its hard to think of anyone who adds more weight to Hick's argument.

"I have a cousin who is the daughter and sister of a well known tv producer" ????????????

Sorry Paul, I did wonder about the phrasing of that....

Her Dad was a well known BBC producer.
Later on her brother became a TV producer for the BBC, Carlton etc.

I should have made it a quiz question!

Last edited:
Sorry Paul, I did wonder about the phrasing of that....

Her Dad was a well known BBC producer.
Later on her brother became a TV producer for the BBC, Carlton etc.

I should have made it a quiz question!

So, surely you are the cousin and nephew of a TV producer?

Once you are up for sale to the highest bidder how can you expect anybody to take you seriously when commenting on other issues?"

So in your opinion Ken Livingstone's opinions are worthless, irrespective of your political stance, because he has done ads. Err, nope.

If you want to be a voiceover artist or you're a struggling actor then fair enough but this is established celebs earning huge sums of money that they don't need to assist in the creation of want. Bob Geldof was a very poor example - its hard to think of anyone who adds more weight to Hick's argument.

Why is it suddenly different for someone to do voiceovers rather than appear in person, or for it to be okay if the person is 'unknown'? Surely if someone accepts money to endorse a product or service then in your terms that makes their views on anything else worthless? They've 'sold out', used their talents to seduce people to buy trinkets rather than tread the boards.

I don't see why Geldof should be a bad example. Again, irrelevant of your belief in his views or not (and personally I have a number of issues with the Third World and charities), he has a far deeper knowledge and experience of the problems in large parts of Africa than most others. But now he has no credible opinion in a debate about Africa because he apeared in some entirely unrelated ads? What nonsense.

Come on guys, this was supposed to be a light hearted thread discussing how much you hate the 'go compare' bloke, it was never intended to be a morality and ethics argument !!

The thing to remember is does the advert do its job of making you remember the product. I could happily assassinate the twat on go compare, and as for the bloke from we buy any car who looked like a newscaster and then did a dance - a plague of boils is too kind. You either love or hate aleksandr orlov and his little mate sergei.

However, go compare, compare the market and we buy any car stick in your mind as products so the advert has done the job.

They may stick in your mind but does it make you buy the product !

(to my shame I am insured by Churchill)

I have been with churchill for a long time too. I would never use a comparison site anyway. To be honest I can't be fucking arsed to check around and churchill just automatically renews. They must love me.

Back on topic.....the ginger kid "to the cloud" on the Microsoft advert.

The thing to remember is does the advert do its job of making you remember the product. I could happily assassinate the twat on go compare, and as for the bloke from we buy any car who looked like a newscaster and then did a dance - a plague of boils is too kind. You either love or hate aleksandr orlov and his little mate sergei.

However, go compare, compare the market and we buy any car stick in your mind as products so the advert has done the job.

Correct. Whether they annoy the hell out of you or not, if you are humming their banal theme tunes or browsing their offers, then the ad has done its job. Regardless of how irritating some may find it. Its all about making the customer remember you, through a good experience or bad. My boss is constantly tellin me to 'fuck with the customers'......as in, wind them up a little bit, pull their leg, try to charge them for a free napkin etc.....as long as I dont cross the line, its allgood. In fact, and I quote -" Robbie, I dont want you to cross the line, but you can dance all over it". His actual advice during my 1st week. Because we do whatever it takes for our customers to have a memorable experience in our shop. If a group of 6 come in, I'll be nice to 5 and wind one of them up. And of course, I always apologise and we have a laugh at the end, and we get great press in the National Newspapers and online because of it. We are renowned for our customer service.
But its a well known fact that sometimes the most annoying aspect of an experience can be the most memorable and Ad Execs know this all too well

So in your opinion Ken Livingstone's opinions are worthless, irrespective of your political stance, because he has done ads. Err, nope.

It doesn't destroy the value of his experience but it does lessen his credibility. It makes me have less faith in him and leads me to regard his views with more cynicism than I otherwise might have done.
Why is it suddenly different for someone to do voiceovers rather than appear in person, or for it to be okay if the person is 'unknown'? Surely if someone accepts money to endorse a product or service then in your terms that makes their views on anything else worthless? They've 'sold out', used their talents to seduce people to buy trinkets rather than tread the boards.

I'm not begrudging anyone the chance to earn a living

I don't see why Geldof should be a bad example. Again, irrelevant of your belief in his views or not (and personally I have a number of issues with the Third World and charities), he has a far deeper knowledge and experience of the problems in large parts of Africa than most others. But now he has no credible opinion in a debate about Africa because he apeared in some entirely unrelated ads? What nonsense.

The ads may be unrelated but it is indicative of a man happy to help Blair and Bush peddle their propaganda that they cancelled 3rd world debt whilst in reality they did nothing of the sort. Him and Bono were the spokesmen for that G8 summit - the ultimate empty celebrity endorsement.

Back