• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The All New Adverts that Grind my Gears

Come on guys, this was supposed to be a light hearted thread discussing how much you hate the 'go compare' bloke, it was never intended to be a morality and ethics argument !!

You're right of course. Number 1 in the clip below is my most hated ad of all time. If anyone on here can say they honest;y wpuldn't punch 'Mickey' in the face they're a nicer bloke than me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik7bDGQ4uO8&feature=related

You're right - these adverts do their jobs, and do them well.

But I hate the fact they work, and wish that they'd work a bit harder to make a good advert that people can remember in a positive way, as opposed to making them as unlikeable, objectionable and banal as possible.

It's successful, but it's extremely lazy.

I had the misfortune of witnessing the 'Evian' advert featuring babies on inline skates dancing and skating to 'Rapper's Delight' by The Sugarhill Gang. It rapidly went to the top of my most hated adverts list...

Really, I liked the Evian one.

I wouldn't have classed it in the same category as that bloody kitchen towel advert with the kid and the elephant. Never mind running for the kitchen roll, I'd have clipped the little shit round the ear for knocking his ice cream off

We buy any cars song is a rip off a video on YouTube, can't bloody remember the name of it now, as its not the one I just posted

Last edited:
Really, I liked that one.

I wouldn't have classed it in the same category as that bloody kitchen towel advert with the kid and the elephant. Never mind running for the kitchen roll, I'd have clipped the little shit round the ear for knocking his ice cream off

We buy any cars
song is a rip off of the magic wizard, found on YouTube for those who are interested

They didn't buy my car, the lying bastards. I don't blame them, it was a battered old wreck, but still...

Really, I liked the Evian one.

We buy any cars song is a rip off a video on YouTube, can't bloody remember the name of it now, as its not the one I just posted

You did?! Ok, it was far too sickly/cheesy for my liking.

This is one of the best adverts I can remember:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TUOPeNJCK8

Apparently it scared the bejesus out of a few kids too...

Last edited:
I had the misfortune of witnessing the 'Evian' advert featuring babies on inline skates dancing and skating to 'Rapper's Delight' by The Sugarhill Gang. It rapidly went to the top of my most hated adverts list...

Very apt name that, because anyone who pays £1.00 for a bottle of water are obviously looking at it in the mirror.

You're right - these adverts do their jobs, and do them well.

But I hate the fact they work, and wish that they'd work a bit harder to make a good advert that people can remember in a positive way, as opposed to making them as unlikeable, objectionable and banal as possible.

It's successful, but it's extremely lazy.

The central problem is down to a fundamental conflict of views on what an advert should do in the eyes of the people who are behind it. The agency wants to produce something memorable, creatively challenging and interesting because that pulls in more customers for them. The board of the company wants to see a return on the cash they are paying out. The marketing function would love to polish both sides of the coin, but the agency's 'creative' team doesn't come up with the goods and invariably have Plan B - the repetitive/annoying/anti-clever option ready to go. The board gets sold on this with vague promises that it will shift units etc, and so the lazy rubbish is pumped out. This gets compounded when large firms go for multi-regional campaigns, as they have to overcome the obstacle course of creating 20 seconds of telly time that relates to different cultures and languages, with the inevitable result of a bland, forgettable bit of airtime. The Mr Ben's Rice showing the smug chappy next to a geyser is a good example here.

Really clever ads, and by that I mean the ones that aren't multi-million Dollar budget mini-films like the now slightly tired Apple Superbowl slurge from 30 years ago, are incredibly rare. The Dove one a couple of years back, or historically famous ones such as Maxell tapes, Saatchi's 'queue' billboard poster in 1979, 3M's skeleton ads are great examples here. They require a spark of real genius in managing to convey and promote a strong message in such an eye-catching way that the viewing recall figures trounce allcomers. Which is why the Cadbury's Gorilla commercial is not a great advert, it's just creative ego-stroking.

Here's and interesting advert for you!

"Just across Germany 's northern-most border with Denmark you'll find an incredible superstore called Fleggaard. There, you can buy everything you need - tubs of gummi bears, cases of wine, industrial strength dishwashing soap - at prices 30% cheaper than you'll find in Denmark . It is Denmark 's Costco, packaged as a German loophole. This is their advertisement!
The 100+ women do stunts in the air - while free-falling - holding hands to spell out "Half-off on Dishwasher soap at Fleggaard." You'd be hard-pressed to find a man in Denmark who hasn't seen and fallen in love with that commercial. It was geared strictly to men. The ad is real
Here is a link to simply the best advertisement ever made.
Honestly. It's awesome."

http://www.m2film.dk/fleggaard/trailer2.swf

I love you Northern Wolf, you've made my year !

Max Beesley keeps telling me that if I submit my CV to Jobsite the offers will start to flood in and all will be ok........bollocks.

I hate that advert. Particularly as he really hams up his Manchester accent. Max, you don't normally talk like that. And your haircut is shit. And that site never, ever sent me anything when I registered with them, it was probably the worst designed, least helpful job site I ever went on. And they sponsor Portsmouth, which is a terrible thing to do given the circumstances. You're an employment site splashing your logo over the shirts of a club that has recently made loads of people redundant.

Any advert for Glee makes me feel sick, what a dreadful programme I imagine that to be, purely from 20 seconds worth of clips.

I'm sure the new Yellow Pages advert is on every single advert break.

Only just found out the guy is for real.

http://dayvlately.com/

"I just sold my car, quick, quick"...Really? Then you probably got about half of what it's actually worth then, didn't you, you thick crud-eating whore...Go and suck Satan's cock...

To be fair, my old Focus had 120,000 on the clock and was scratched to fuck. Worth about £200.

Took it to WBACDC because I couldn't really be bothered. To be fair they were very polite and professional and I got three times what I thought it was worth....without me advertising and showing tossers around.

Very pleased...quick..quick...

Just seen a KFC advert with the voiceover "Staying in is the new going out"

Bulls**t. No it f**king isn't!

The Head And Shoulders one with Jenson Button is damned cringe-worthy...

Night time.... DAY TIME!!

:D

Back