• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Athletics Thread...

The man is a machine. Absolutely awesome from Mo!!

Highlight of the championships so far, closely followed by the lovely Katarina Johnson-Thompson's very impressive heptathlon attempt. Aged 19 too - future Olympic champion I reckon.

Greg Rutherford smashes the British Long Jump record with a jump of 8.51m in a meeting in San Diego.

Indeed, was really happy for her. It's even more impressive that she has done this after having given birth just eleven months ago!

Justin Gatlin last night ran the fastest 100m this year in 9.77 seconds.

Is it just me, or do others have doubts about Gatlin?

Justin Gatlin last night ran the fastest 100m this year in 9.77 seconds.

Is it just me, or do others have doubts about Gatlin?

I have doubts about all of them tbh,they need stricter enforcement and longer bans.

Kenya's Dennis Kimetto has broken the marathon world record in Berlin, winning the race in a time of two hours, two minutes and 57 seconds.

Will anyone ever break the two hour barrier?

Australian Ron Clarke has passed away. During his career, Clarke set 17 world records, but never won an Olympic gold. The best he managed was a bronze medal for the 10,000 metre event at the 1964 Toyko Olympics.

Mo Farah apparently missed two doping tests, one because he did not hear his door bell. Had he missed another he could have been banned from the London Olympics.

But he wasn't, as he didn't miss the third test. A rather scurrilous story by the Daily Mail in my opinion.

I think the point they were making was why he missed two, and what he could have missed out on if he had not taken the third test. I do not think anyone is suggesting anything untoward.

No, I think the Mail are leaving the mud out there myself. They are implying something that isn't there, which is naughty. Darren Campbell missed a test because he was in hospital and wasn't where the testers expected him to be. It is a pretty draconic rule system.

Not entirely happy with Mo's explanation of not hearing the doorbell, but the Mail are trying to tie this to the Salazar story and imply Mo is a cheat without any evidence. That is poor.

I think the point they were making was why he missed two, and what he could have missed out on if he had not taken the third test. I do not think anyone is suggesting anything untoward.

How is this a story if nothing happened and nothing is suggested at being untoward? What would the story seek to point out or prove to its readership?

Or is it to rile its readership into reactionary indignation to fill an empty space that is their life?

Or is it to rile its readership into reactionary indignation to fill an empty space that is their life?

Sums up the daily mail better than any advertising slogan ever.

Standard mail. Point out some facts, add a dash of innuendo and let the readership join the dots. Remember, he's a 'plastic brit'. Strange how such accusations are rarely thrown at south Africans....

Oscar Pistorius is about to be released from prison - 10 months into his five year sentence. Only in South Africa. It seems the trial judge spent more time on holiday than Oscar spent inside.

Back