• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Athletics Thread...

It's very depressing news, especially coming on top of Veronica Campbell's failed test a month or so ago. It makes me start to question why I bother with athletics if everything I coach and preach is just totally undermined by some of the sport's biggest stars. Sad day for athletics.

Absolutely. It matters little what is said to youngsters when the sports top stars continue to cheat. I really thought that Athletics had cleaned up its act, but sadly there are still some who abuse the system. Life bans are the only answer.

Also what a shame for James Dasaolu that this story will overshadow what was a fantastic achievement for him on Saturday - 9.91 seconds, video here for anyone who didn't see it.

As I said, life bans for the drug cheats is the only answer. The sport and the vast majority of "clean" athletics do not need these people bringing their sport into disrepute.

Hmm, maybe a new drug / method of testing?

Tyson Gay seems like he's accepting what has happened. Seems like someone close to him has some part to play in this, which begs the question why so many athletes trust those around them about what they put in their bodies? They HAVE to take responsibility for themselves, it beggars belief that if someone said to you "Here take this, it's fine" you'd just do it without rigorously investigating it first. Silly, silly boy.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/23307913

Also what a shame for James Dasaolu that this story will overshadow what was a fantastic achievement for him on Saturday - 9.91 seconds, video here for anyone who didn't see it.

Dasaolu's run yesterday was magnificent. British sprinting is very much on the up with him, Adam Gemili, Asha Phillips and Anyika Onuora all producing some outstanding performances this year. And keep an eye out for Jodie Williams, won the Euro under-23 200m title yesterday with a very, very quick time (sub-23s) and she's only 18.

Massively disappointed with this news and it's a very bad day for athletics. The 100m has always been the big event and the one that i have kept my eye on the most, from the first Olympics that i remember in 1996 when Donovan Bailey broke the world record. It seems from what i have read that Gay trusted someone and has been very naive and like Toon can't believe he hasn't made sure he knows what he is taking but as far as Powell is concerned it looks like he was just striving to compete with the best again and couldn't do it naturally.

Hmm, maybe a new drug / method of testing?

Seems the testing is pretty good as it's caught them! More testing, more often?

Got to ask the question why they do it and why so many of these clinics are in the states? They have a very lax attitude in their main sports and some journalists say taking drugs isn't that bad and you can't prove it gives somebody an advantage once they've stopped taking them. If that's the attitude it's no wonder Armstrong, Sosa and Balco get away with it for so long.

Sherone Simpson also tested positive.
Big blow for carribean athletics, as they pride themselves on being drug free. Usain Bolt made a big issue of that around the olympics.

Rumours that these 3 aren't the only positive tests too.

Agree with the above comments regarding UK sprinting though. Definitely looks to have prospects at the moment. Let us hope & pray the olympic legacy does do some good.

The problem again is that every time an athlete performs above what they have normally performed at, people will wonder if performance enhancing substances have been used. This is the legacy of the drug cheats.

The problem again is that every time an athlete performs above what they have normally performed at, people will wonder if performance enhancing substances have been used. This is the legacy of the drug cheats.

My all time sporting highlight, the greatest moment in sport that I have actually witnessed live, was seeing Asafa Powell break the 100m world record a few years ago at Gateshead Stadium. I now have that moment tainted and feel like what I witnessed wasn't genuine, which is very sad.

think it shows that Mo will excel at any of the longer distances. I am looking forward to the day he does go for the marathon. Could he win a 26 miler? I think he probably could.

Mo Farah's bid for 5,000m title this evening, looks very short priced to me at 4/9 against what is a very good field with less time for recovery as in the Olympics. Would you back him or against him?

Adam Gemili becomes the second British man in history to run under 20 seconds for the 200m - 19.98 seconds.

What a run!

Had me worried for a moment there!

Back