• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Burnley 'Got of jail' Verdict thread

on Saiss. He is injured.

I was in the ground early and he was doing a fitness test. Right (I think) hamstring heavily tapped up. Seemed to be moving ok so shouldn't be a long term worry

Don't forget Chris Wood in the second half, who literally threw himself to the ground when trying to chest down and turn a long ball when up against a defender.

on Saiss. He is injured.

I was in the ground early and he was doing a fitness test. Right (I think) hamstring heavily tapped up. Seemed to be moving ok so shouldn't be a long term worry

#smallsquadproblems then.

Is there a reason VAR couldn't look at Ben Mee shoving Raúl to the ground with his elbow?

I think he is ok. Just not risked for today

I mean more the fact that your only true CM backup is injured so you have to play the 33 year old who’s racked up loads of minutes already and the unproven youngster in a secondary position.

How the hell did Pawson decide not to book the player that literally threw Traore out of touch when he knocked it past two of them?

Utter shitehawk of a ref.

We really were poor.

Delighted that the penalty came in the added time from Burnley shithousing and time wasting
Met a couple of really lovely Burnley fans outside the Slade Rooms. Really great blokes.

How Nuno is making the decision to start Doherty at the moment is a mystery to me, he looks shite every time he plays. Whether that is down to match fitness or not Traore should be starting

Agreed.

Traore has absolutely earned a starting berth*

*this is #1 is my list of things I never thought I would say...

Well the positive to take from the game is that we are still unbeaten, we don't deserve to be as we should have been 2 or 3 down at half time today but somehow we got a point from a game where Nuno got his selection wrong and then several players under performed.

I've seen various things put forward for todays performance but we weren't tired on the whole and didn't look fatigued because in the last 20 minutes were putting pressure on and players didn't look physically weak and then i've seen stuff about prep time and the fact that Burnley would have had a week. Not having that either as every man and his dog knows how Burnley play and that's exactly what they did today but we just seemed to do what we looked to do against defensively solid teams last season. You don't need a week to know and understand how Burnley play.

They play a midfield 2 of Cork and Westwood and we let them dictate and dominate and never put them under any pressure. The strange tactic of having MGW move out to the right touchline was baffling again, i think he did ok in the first half but was never going to affect the game from there. The game was crying out for players though that carry the ball and have quick movements off the ball to move their defenders in to spaces they don't want to go an make them commit but that didn't happen until Neto and Adama came on.

Players wise i'd say......

Rui - Great save from Wood and did well with Bennett to keep the ball out from Mee's header and had no chance with the goal.

Bennett - Terrible in the first half. Negative with the ball or just wasteful and then got bullied by Wood several times and was constantly in the wrong position. Did improve in the second half but still got caught a couple of times too many.

Coady - Did ok but his passing and his pass selection is not quite right at the minute, needs to do better and drive us forward at times as we look too comfortable with knocking the ball around the half way line not penetrating.

Boly - Not at his best but he was still the best of the back 3, had very few options for passing at times and wish he would drive out with the ball sometimes when this happens.

Doc - Still doesn't look fit and arguably shouldn't be playing. It is sort of exposing Bennett at times.

Jonny - Games like this just don't suit him imo. Burnley sit in so he doesn't have any room when he goes forward to cut in and he doesn't actually have to do much 1 on 1 defending. He wasn't great Thursday but Vinagre surely has be selected in these games.

Neves - Reading over the last few weeks i know Alan has tken a bit of stick for his opinion on Neves but he's right. He's nowhere near the player he is and should be right now, his passing is short at the moment and so was his set piece delivery today. He's also a yard too slow which you can't afford to be. When he scores a worldy like he did Monday it can paper over the cracks but he just wasn't at it again.

Moutinho - The one player that did look like he was actually fatigued and i think he's played too many minutes so far this season. He is a fit very fit player but with the amount of running he does we have to manage his minutes better.

MGW - Did ok in the first half even though he was playing in a really strange role but in the second half we got the needless flicks back and he's just not good enough to be doing it right now. Compare him to Neto and just the difference in intent between them and there's only one of them that should be getting starts in league games and it's not Morgan.

Jota - Doesn't look quite at his best. He's getting in to good areas but making bad decisions and again didn't really look to properly take players on. He didn't seem confident doing it which is when he's at his best, hopefully we see him back to it soon.

Jimenez - Tried hard, linked play up quite well at times and looked the biggest goal threat by a mile. Should have shot imo when he pulled it across goal and then unlucky when he hit the post a soft penalty but took it with supreme confidence and never looked like missing.

SUBS - All of these changed the game.

Dendoncker - Gave us more control in central midfield with his presence and calmness. We miss him when he's not there and that just shows how good he is.

Neto - Provided much needed drive and directness. He wants to run with the ball and move it quickly which you need to do to beat Burnley and we simply didn't do it enough before he came on. Good enough to start imo and that's upfront or just in behind 2 strikers as he works hard too. It would give the likes of Cork and Westwood something to think about with him nipping in and around them.

Adama - Should be the starting RWB at the moment. Doc clearly isn't fit and Adama is delivering when he plays. He's such a threat going forward that full backs are shitting themselves before he gets the ball. He's made 3 in a week in Shaw, Ansaldi and Pieters quake in their boots and given us a real outlet and threat.

The biggest thing that disappoints me in games like this is i think Nuno is still far too cautious and that gives sides like Burnley a bit of belief early on and they make the most of it. Pick an attacking side with ball carriers and movement and put them on the back foot early, don't let them settle and nick a goal then try and shithouse a win which is what they do. Dyche moans about gamesmanship from other sides but Burnley are up there with the worst whether it's time wasting, diving or just being dickheads but everyone knows that's Burnley and you can't moan about that as if you didn't know about it. Find a way of coping with it and stopping it then you don't give them a chance to be that shit house team. I'd love for us to have that bit more about us at times and push up 10 yards in a game and properly take it by the bollocks rather than trying to contain and then hit teams in second halves, lets' get on the front foot early on.

Well the positive to take from the game is that we are still unbeaten, we don't deserve to be as we should have been 2 or 3 down at half time today but somehow we got a point from a game where Nuno got his selection wrong and then several players under performed.

I've seen various things put forward for todays performance but we weren't tired on the whole and didn't look fatigued because in the last 20 minutes were putting pressure on and players didn't look physically weak and then i've seen stuff about prep time and the fact that Burnley would have had a week. Not having that either as every man and his dog knows how Burnley play and that's exactly what they did today but we just seemed to do what we looked to do against defensively solid teams last season. You don't need a week to know and understand how Burnley play.

They play a midfield 2 of Cork and Westwood and we let them dictate and dominate and never put them under any pressure. The strange tactic of having MGW move out to the right touchline was baffling again, i think he did ok in the first half but was never going to affect the game from there. The game was crying out for players though that carry the ball and have quick movements off the ball to move their defenders in to spaces they don't want to go an make them commit but that didn't happen until Neto and Adama came on.

Rui - Great save from Wood and did well with Bennett to keep the ball out from Mee's header and had no chance with the goal.

Bennett - Terrible in the first half. Negative with the ball or just wasteful and then got bullied by Wood several times and was constantly in the wrong position. Did improve in the second half but still got caught a couple of times too many.

Coady - Did ok but his passing and his pass selection is not quite right at the minute, needs to do better and drive us forward at times as we look too comfortable with knocking the ball around the half way line not penetrating.

Boly - Not at his best but he was still the best of the back 3, had very few options for passing at times and wish he would drive out with the ball sometimes when this happens.

Doc - Still doesn't look fit and arguably shouldn't be playing. It is sort of exposing Bennett at times.

Jonny - Games like this just don't suit him imo. Burnley sit in so he doesn't have any room when he goes forward to cut in and he doesn't actually have to do much 1 on 1 defending. He wasn't great Thursday but Vinagre surely has be selected in these games.

Neves - Reading over the last few weeks i know Alan has tken a bit of stick for his opinion on Neves but he's right. He's nowhere near the player he is and should be right now, his passing is short at the moment and so was his set piece delivery today. He's also a yard too slow which you can't afford to be. When he scores a worldy like he did Monday it can paper over the cracks but he just wasn't at it again.

Moutinho - The one player that did look like he was actually fatigued and i think he's played too many minutes so far this season. He is a fit very fit player but with the amount of running he does we have to manage his minutes better.

MGW - Did ok in the first half even though he was playing in a really strange role but in the second half we got the needless flicks back and he's just not good enough to be doing it right now. Compare him to Neto and just the difference in intent between them and there's only one of them that should be getting starts in league games and it's not Morgan.

Jota - Doesn't look quite at his best. He's getting in to good areas but making bad decisions and again didn't really look to properly take players on. He didn't seem confident doing it which is when he's at his best, hopefully we see him back to it soon.

Jimenez - Tried hard, linked play up quite well at times and looked the biggest goal threat by a mile. Should have shot imo when he pulled it across goal and then unlucky when he hit the post a soft penalty but took it with supreme confidence and never looked like missing.

Dendoncker - Gave us more control in central midfield with his presence and calmness. We miss him when he's not there and that just shows how good he is.

Neto - Provided much needed drive and directness. He wants to run with the ball and move it quickly which you need to do to beat Burnley and we simply didn't do it enough before he came on. Good enough to start imo and that's upfront or just in behind 2 strikers as he works hard too. It would give the likes of Cork and Westwood something to think about with him nipping in and around them.

Adama - Should be the starting RWB at the moment. Doc clearly isn't fit and Adama is delivering when he plays. He's such a threat going forward that full backs are shitting themselves before he gets the ball. He's made 3 in a week in Shaw, Ansaldi and Pieters quake in their boots and given us a real outlet and threat.

The biggest thing that disappoints me in games like this is i think Nuno is still far too cautious and that gives sides like Burnley a bit of belief early on and they make the most of it. Pick an attacking side with ball carriers and movement and put them on the back foot early, don't let them settle and nick a goal then try and shithouse a win which is what they do. Dyche moans about gamesmanship from other sides but Burnley are up there with the worst whether it's time wasting, diving or just being dickheads but everyone knows that's Burnley and you can't moan about that as if you didn't know about it. Find a way of coping with it and stopping it then you don't give them a chance to be that shit house team. I'd love for us to have that bit more about us at times and push up 10 yards in a game and properly take it by the bollocks rather than trying to contain and then hit teams in second halves, lets' get on the front foot early on.
Agree with all of that.

Absolutely brilliant and accurate post, I saw the game and the players performance exactly like this. Well done

Our starting selection also restricted our opportunity to play Cutrone, which may have given us a different dimension in this game

Something I noticed that really concerned me is just how slow our simple passing was. I don't mean in decision making; mundane passes on the floor almost gave me the impression that the ball had been covered in Velcro or something. It was bizarre and totally contrasted by Burnley, whose passing zipped along the grass when they broke forward.

It's like everyone's mental radio was tuned just a half step below the correct frequency.

I think we seem to belive some of our own hype and are trying to play beautiful flicks and clever balls all the time. Especially Raul and Jota.

Both wingbacks were rank today, Doc because he's doing an incredible impression of himself from 2016 and Jonny because whenever he bothered to get forward he played terrible floated balls into the box.

Free kicks and corners not even beating the first man. How many today? Ffs

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Jonny was in great forward positions in the 1st half. 2 times he was completely unmarked on the edge of the area and Jota and Jiminez ignored him. That was the frustration for me today, too many times we got ourselves in to decent positions and chose the wrong pass.

When do we start talking about the impact of the Europa league.

Physically, I think we're ok. It's the lack of prep time. Burnley have had a week to work through how they going to play against us (who to close down, where to attack etc) we've had about 1-2 days at most.

Sometimes these things happen though. Spurs have some wonderfully creative players but still laboured and couldn't unlock a poor Newcastle side. The prep time is as issue but with how Nuno has the side and system this is probably at least partly migrated surely?

In terms of match prep , that generally isnt done until the 2 training days before the game anyway. There might be little things talked about with the players before but the team meeting on the Thursday is usually the starting point of putting the ideas across.

Back