• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Burnley 'Got of jail' Verdict thread

That sounds good, but if he's playing behind the strikers people will expect him to unlock defences, and that is not a simple matter. Ask him to play within himself and he'll just end up pushing it wide all the time.

I don't even think MGW "looked good" against Pyunik, if I'm honest! I had a chat to Kenny in the pub after that home game and I said I didn't really want to put anything negative about MGW on here because people jump to his defence immediately (see the response to NicholasG1973, who is a pretty new poster on the forum, as a good example).

The best way I can describe MGW is a "show pony". He is full of flicks & little bits of skill - but does he actually achieve much and help the team at the moment? Arguably no. A massive talent, but needs to get his head down and start doing the simple things first. I agree with those of you who have said he's struggling for a defined role at the moment.

All of our lads are performing slightly below par at the moment. I suspect it's a combination of many things; Europa league, travelling further, less game prep, more minutes than usual etc, rather than one specific reason. That said, IF (and it's a big "if") we can get the job done against Torino on Thursday, and then go and beat Everton away at the weekend, things will be looking rosy.

Thanks Jinky, I shall certainly choose my words a little more selectively in future - lesson learned.

And, for the record, I didn't ever say that "he's only in the team because he's from Wolverhampton" - the point I was trying to make was that (very maybe) people are a bit quicker to defend someone that is "local" rather than (maybe) a player that is brought in and might not be given as much time to impress.

That was all.

people are a bit quicker to defend someone that is "local" rather than (maybe) a player that is brought in and might not be given as much time to impress.

Leon Clarke disagrees with this

I liked Clarke... For a while. He was the best finisher at the club for a spell until we bought either Elliott or Doyle (I think).

I remember the talk of Everton looking to sign him when he was banging them in for the reserves :D

I liked Clarke... For a while. He was the best finisher at the club for a spell until we bought either Elliott or Doyle (I think).

I remember the talk of Everton looking to sign him when he was banging them in for the reserves :D
Clarke had lots of ability but totally wasted it

He left a while before we signed Elliott, let alone Doyle who was two years further down the line.

He came in, was limited but tried and got a few goals. This lasted about 4-5 months. Thereafter he was awful.

He was not a better finisher than Ganea who was here at the same time, nor Miller, nor Cort.

Didn't the fans turn on Clarke quite quickly? Seem to remember him scoring and then shushing the crowd,which had the opposite effect if I remember rightly(which I probably don't)

Don't forget Karl Henry as local lad done good as well

He wasn't getting any stick from the crowd, other than just groaning when he'd give the ball away, miss a chance or refuse to bother running (all of which happened a lot).

He decided that he was being booed and shushed the South Bank vs Plymouth in the cup for no real reason. Not his smartest move.

Take out a freakish mini-run for Sheff Utd and he has never been good enough for second tier football. He is a L1 player.

He was not a better finisher than Ganea who was here at the same time, nor Miller, nor Cort.

I thought he was a more natural finisher than any of them, it's just the rest of his game let him down.

When he scored at Highfield Road I turned to my mate and said he'll be our best centre forward since Bully...

Not sure what you boys were watching...

He never looked exactly lethal. He used to miss some real sitters and this is when you'd mostly forgive it as he was brand new to senior football and did at least try.

His time also overlapped with Dean Sturridge for a while, he was objectively NOT a better finisher than him.

The best thing about Leon Clarke was when he was breaking into the team, I overheard a comment from behind me.

"That's it, get a bit of Low Hill grit on the pitch"

He seemed to offer a decent physical threat upfront from what I remember at the time, but it certainly didnt last

My mate evicted him from his flat in town for non payment of rent, there was always an interesting fragrance coming from there, I guess you can have the best opportunities in life and not realise it

The time he played against us for Sheffield Wednesday has to rank as one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a striker at molineux.

The time he played against us for Sheffield Wednesday has to rank as one of the worst performances I have ever seen from a striker at molineux.

Boo'd by both sets of fans that day. Impressive

He wasn't getting any stick from the crowd, other than just groaning when he'd give the ball away, miss a chance or refuse to bother running (all of which happened a lot).

He decided that he was being booed and shushed the South Bank vs Plymouth in the cup for no real reason. Not his smartest move.

Take out a freakish mini-run for Sheff Utd and he has never been good enough for second tier football. He is a L1 player.

Unfortunately, that's all true

Back