• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Burnley 'Got of jail' Verdict thread

Think MGW is struggling from something of an identity crisis as others have alluded to.

He's obviously a talented kid and a competent footballer but unfortunately competent doesn't cut it at the top level, you need to excel. That's where he's struggling at the moment, he doesn't appear to excel at anything in particular.

If he plays in one of the more advanced roles then he tends to come up short for end product. If you play him deeper then he seems to struggle to get involved, perhaps lacks physicality to compete in those areas and the fancy flicks he's so fond of become something of a liability. Dare I say it, sounds a bit like Jack Grealish, tidy enough but caught between two stools.

Obviously he's got plenty of time on his side, but sooner rather than later he needs to start to find his niche. He's still very young but he's spent a fair bit of time around the first team now so would hope the maturity starts to build in his game.

Think MGW is struggling from something of an identity crisis as others have alluded to.

He's obviously a talented kid and a competent footballer but unfortunately competent doesn't cut it at the top level, you need to excel. That's where he's struggling at the moment, he doesn't appear to excel at anything in particular.

If he plays in one of the more advanced roles then he tends to come up short for end product. If you play him deeper then he seems to struggle to get involved, perhaps lacks physicality to compete in those areas and the fancy flicks he's so fond of become something of a liability. Dare I say it, sounds a bit like Jack Grealish, tidy enough but caught between two stools.

Obviously he's got plenty of time on his side, but sooner rather than later he needs to start to find his niche. He's still very young but he's spent a fair bit of time around the first team now so would hope the maturity starts to build in his game.

All of this. All of it. I am in total agreement Mark.

that he (according to many) drifted out to the right yesterday may well be because an unfit Docherty didn't?

I’m not sure it’s “demonstrably false”.

Aside from the Chelsea game last year, MGW has done nothing in a top level game other than look hopelessly out of place.

There is no way, currently, he is a Premier League player......he is literally light years away.

His local-boy status gets him games because we all want him to do well.

Truth is, he’s absolutely nowhere near good enough.

Is this World Cup winner MGW or another one? How many World Cup winners medals you got?

Interesting that xG has us winning the game yesterday 1.33 to 1.23

Interesting that xG has us winning the game yesterday 1.33 to 1.23

They scored from the edge of the area, xG would have been low on that whereas our penalty is something like 0.8

So non penalty xG we got soundly beaten. But with a penalty it’s accurate, we got out of jail

Personally I think MGW is struggling with adapting to the level he's playing at.

To have been at the heights he was age group wise he's clearly been at a quality above most of the players he's been against for most of his footballing life. He's bypassed the U23's and aside from the odd cameo in the Championship come into a PL side who play a possession based game in CM when he wants to run with the ball, which isn't something we look for from our CM's.

I'd also imagine his pace took him away from players when he was younger, he always seems surprised when a burst doesn't do the same now.

As a club we've accelerated at a pace too quick for him, but that doesn't mean he won't catch up and the only way he will is by giving him experience.

Read what I wrote - I’m not slagging him off, just saying that I’ve never seen him play well when he’s started a top class game.

Happy to be corrected.

I’m not so sure he’d get the same sort of sympathy for being continually below-par if he wasn’t born and bred in Wolverhampton.

He's not from Wolverhampton

Doc hasn't had a pre-season so no wonder he looks off the pace

Neves - god only knows. Maybe he's off to Juve or we stopped him going somewhere in the summer? Hope it's a blip and he gets back into it. Right now, I'd start Saiss over him

Jota - hasn't looked decent in any of the league games. He started slow last season too. Neto / Cutrone can't be that far off starting

MGW - Needs to really keep it simple and do the things he did so well. Simple, to feet, pass and move. None of the elaborate stuff he tries, that will come. Run, chase, harry, pass, move, late runs into the box - do all that and we'll see an improvement

Just to add to the MGW debate after looking at yesterdays game again, where do we think he is compared to say Dwight McNeil? Couple of months between them but McNeil looks the much better player right now.

Is this World Cup winner MGW or another one? How many World Cup winners medals you got?

Ha, right, fair enough.

Not going to get far with a slightly negative opinion of MGW on here, quite clearly.

Loads of potential, just my opinion that he hasn’t/isn’t cutting it at the top level.

And, granted, that could be for loads of reasons - positional, possibly.

I still think a season in the Championship, playing week on week in his “favoured” position, would have been a better bet for him.

Bit like what Mason Mount did last season at Derby.

But cool if you don’t agree 👍

Ha, right, fair enough.

Not going to get far with a slightly negative opinion of MGW on here, quite clearly.

Loads of potential, just my opinion that he hasn’t/isn’t cutting it at the top level.

And, granted, that could be for loads of reasons - positional, possibly.

I still think a season in the Championship, playing week on week in his “favoured” position, would have been a better bet for him.

Bit like what Mason Mount did last season at Derby.

But cool if you don’t agree ��

No slightly negative is fine. You called him diabolical. Totally different

If you think Wolverhampton is in Staffordshire then you must buy your sweets in quarters and pay for them with farthings

Just to add to the MGW debate after looking at yesterdays game again, where do we think he is compared to say Dwight McNeil? Couple of months between them but McNeil looks the much better player right now.
I've not been particularly impressed by anything I've seen from McNeil to be honest. Think the big thing he has in his favour above MGW at this point is clarity in his role, and the basic tools to fulfill that role.

I'd imagine Dyche doesn't ask anything that complex from his wide players, stick to the touchline, get up and down, protect your full back when you need to and stick it in the box as often as you can. If you've got the engine/work rate to put the miles in then you're more than 50% of the way there already. It gives McNeil a very easy plan to follow and very few decisions to make on his own.

Think MGW is facing a much bigger challenge to prove himself in a more taxing role, one that he perhaps lacks some of the qualities required to perform as it stands.

We know how you feel about this but using yesterdays game to try and make this point though is demonstrably rubbish. Moutinho and MGW both played so on that basis your new midfielder would have been in the side alongside Moutinho, not instead of him and Vinagre's or anyone who would have played instead of him on Thursday performance had no bearing on Jonny's poor game. As I said previously I think Nuno picked them for the incorrect games and Vinagre would have been the better option.
My idea was to get a midfielder who can cover mou, that way you can play one of donk/saiss every game and rotate mou/neves/new cm in the other two roles. The problem with gibbs white is that (to me) hes a pure attacking midfielder who should be playing behind the strikers, like dybala does at juve. Hes a lightweight finesse player, moutinho is ridiculously strong for his build and is constantly on the top of the tackles and interceptions charts in the premier league. Hes not an attacking midfielder at all, hes fucking good at everything. Gibbs white simply cant replace anyone since we dont play a position that suits him in our current formation. Can he develop, strenghten up, gain experience? Of course. If he going to do it sitting on the bench or playing the odd game out of his depth? Nope. Its bad for him and its bad for us.
Vinagre has had good moments but im not convinced hes ready yet. But I agree, mistake by nuno should have been jonny for torino (atleast for 60 mins if he was tired) and vinny here

Back