• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Burnley 'Got of jail' Verdict thread

Just to add to the MGW debate after looking at yesterdays game again, where do we think he is compared to say Dwight McNeil? Couple of months between them but McNeil looks the much better player right now.

I didn't see anything from McNeil to suggest that he was having success for any other reason than Doherty playing at 25% speed.

I didn't see anything from McNeil to suggest that he was having success for any other reason than Doherty playing at 25% speed.

Wasn't just going on yesterdays game, seen a few Burnley games including our away game there last year and he looks a prospect imo. Obviously they play different positions but McNeil knows his position and what's expected of him and i think that is a big thing with MGW.

Wasn't just going on yesterdays game, seen a few Burnley games including our away game there last year and he looks a prospect imo. Obviously they play different positions but McNeil knows his position and what's expected of him and i think that is a big thing with MGW.
Haven't seen anything else of McNeil so will defer to you.

I'd still say that Morgan isn't really suited to our flatter midfield structure to begin with. Didn't he look okay playing further forward against Crusaders?

I'm not on the MGW is no good bandwagon but suggestions that he does not know whats required are improbable based on what we know of the coaching and precise methods that Nuno employs. Also Raul was wide a lot in that game outside of the wingbacks its hard to imgine that helped his game.

I hate the term "settling in" but I hope thats what we are doing.

If you think Wolverhampton is in Staffordshire then you must buy your sweets in quarters and pay for them with farthings

Yet nobody has a problem with Warwickshire playing at Edgbaston, Lancashire in Manchester and Gloucestershire in Bristol. I find it a bit weird, to be honest.

Even weirder is Albion fans' use of Stafford / Staffordshire as an insult to Wolves. West Bromwich was/is in Staffordshire as well -- so was/is most of the Black Country. Do they not realize this or do they think "West Midlands" sounds cooler? I don't get it at all.

I'm not on the MGW is no good bandwagon but suggestions that he does not know whats required are improbable based on what we know of the coaching and precise methods that Nuno employs. Also Raul was wide a lot in that game outside of the wingbacks its hard to imgine that helped his game.

I hate the term "settling in" but I hope thats what we are doing.
Raúl has always had a tendency to drift wide throughout his career. I also think it's part of our overall plan in the 3-5-2; the forwards start centrally and have license to get wide, while Dendoncker or Morgan makes late runs or the wingbacks offer themselves to combine and create overloads.

Of everything yesterday, I'd be Raúl showing up in the channels pretty far down the list of concerns.

If you think Wolverhampton is in Staffordshire then you must buy your sweets in quarters and pay for them with farthings
And if you think it isn't you clearly don't understand the 1972 Local Government Act or the fact Wolverhampton was nothing to do with anything called Staffordshire County Council, ever...

Last edited:
With MGW he looks good against the likes of Pyunik and Crusaders, but often struggles to make an impact at PL level. Not to say he hasn't had good games but they are few and far between.

Like Mount and Wilson at Chelsea he could really do with a loan to a top half Champ club for a season.

With MGW he looks good against the likes of Pyunik and Crusaders, but often struggles to make an impact at PL level. Not to say he hasn't had good games but they are few and far between.

Like Mount and Wilson at Chelsea he could really do with a loan to a top half Champ club for a season.

I've been quite surprised at how good Mount has been. Looks an integral part of the Chelsea team

Wilson and Mount would be wasting their time in the Championship again. They're both good enough to have an impact at this level.

Hes saying gibbs white could do with a loan to the championship, like wilson and mount did last year.

Hes saying gibbs white could do with a loan to the championship, like wilson and mount did last year.
Yeh, the brain isn't functioning properly quite yet. Time for coffee.

I did not see any of the Burnley game, So no view on how good or Bad MGW was.
Having seen most if not all the games from last season to say he is never a premier league player is not accurate at all.
At the moment he is as typical 21 year old player, good in parts struggles in other parts.
He makes decisions you would expect him to make at 21 but not at 26.
His best position is where he played v Chelsea, behind Raul/Cutrone where he can link with the midfield pick the ball up between the lines and run at the opposition.
He has a lot to learn before he becomes a regular in the team but he has a bright future and will learn.
Nuno rates him highly else he would have got rid.
By all accounts he listens and learns which will be stand him in good stead.
For what it's worth spouting off in public space about how he is useless in todays day and age is not going to help him at all.
Remember players/officials and family of players read what we say.

Age, place of birth, skin colour next?

It's all about opinions. For me, MGW was one of our better players sunday!

That's a few games in a row we've had poor first halves. Nuno needs to find a way to get us playing straight from the whistle.

Aikiwolf has a point, in Jota & Raul are trying too many fancy flicks, whilst not doing the simple things well and effectively. I said to him after the game that we've gone a bit arsenal in trying to score the perfect goal too many times.

I think that the delicate interplay is something Nuno is working on with the squad to get out of tight situations.

That's 2 games in a row now where the whole team has clearly felt the only option we have is to give the ball to Adama to create something. The same happened v Man U, even Jota was desperate to give him the ball. These are high level players, we don't rely on only one of you!

All in all, hugely disappointing. 2 points dropped for me. Burnley played well, but we allowed them to, and didn't give them enough to worry about. They're a shit team, and blatant time wasting from the 12th minute is unacceptable. Dyche gives it the big "we're ethical sportsmen" in his interviews, suggesting burnley don't dive, but he's exceptionally happy for his team to cheat. I'm reminded of that stat from a wolves v stoke game where the ball was only in play for 60 mins of the match.

Also have to say the ref was poor. To not even give the token booking on 89 mins was shocking. He repeatedly held up his watch, but took no action. A booking on 40 mins, plus a word at half time would have sorted that.

Still, we allowed burnley to get that draw. It's up to us to fix this.

I don't even think MGW "looked good" against Pyunik, if I'm honest! I had a chat to Kenny in the pub after that home game and I said I didn't really want to put anything negative about MGW on here because people jump to his defence immediately (see the response to NicholasG1973, who is a pretty new poster on the forum, as a good example).

The best way I can describe MGW is a "show pony". He is full of flicks & little bits of skill - but does he actually achieve much and help the team at the moment? Arguably no. A massive talent, but needs to get his head down and start doing the simple things first. I agree with those of you who have said he's struggling for a defined role at the moment.

All of our lads are performing slightly below par at the moment. I suspect it's a combination of many things; Europa league, travelling further, less game prep, more minutes than usual etc, rather than one specific reason. That said, IF (and it's a big "if") we can get the job done against Torino on Thursday, and then go and beat Everton away at the weekend, things will be looking rosy.

I don't even think MGW "looked good" against Pyunik, if I'm honest! I had a chat to Kenny in the pub after that home game and I said I didn't really want to put anything negative about MGW on here because people jump to his defence immediately (see the response to NicholasG1973, who is a pretty new poster on the forum, as a good example).

"Loan him out" is a ridiculous argument. Especially when the same people have been bollocking on for months about how we need a billion squad players.

"He's only in the team because he's from Wolverhampton" is both nonsensical and factually incorrect.

To say he has never had any impact for us is not fair, and not accurate.

I think that's all that's been railed against.

The best way I can describe MGW is a "show pony". He is full of flicks & little bits of skill - but does he actually achieve much and help the team at the moment? Arguably no. A massive talent, but needs to get his head down and start doing the simple things first. I agree with those of you who have said he's struggling for a defined role at the moment.

All of our lads are performing slightly below par at the moment. I suspect it's a combination of many things; Europa league, travelling further, less game prep, more minutes than usual etc, rather than one specific reason. That said, IF (and it's a big "if") we can get the job done against Torino on Thursday, and then go and beat Everton away at the weekend, things will be looking rosy.
I think you'll find the use of the word diabolical is what got called out and rightfully so.

I might not go as far as to use the term "show pony" but I know what you mean. It may be hard to criticise MGW as he's only 19, but he's now played around 50 first team games, I think, which is a fair enough number. We've all seen players who make the most of limited ability - I think Ryan Bennett's time at Wolves is a superb example of that. Equally, the football world is full of players who didn't make the most of their abilities, and that's where I think Jinky is right: MGW needs to start doing the simple things consistently well before we go for the flicks and tricks.

Back