• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Definitive TWF UK & Ireland XI (1970 - present) - ST VOTING OPEN

Right now I have a screen I can look at I can start doing this.. What have I missed.

Right now I have a screen I can look at I can start doing this.. What have I missed.

Pick yourself 3 keepers since 1970 in order 1st, 2nd and 3rd best then come back each day to help pick the rest of the team. UK and Irish players only

The absolute state of him now FFS:

bf03b6adf1c602a944c0f49b50db0478.jpg

Uncanny.

latest

David Seaman
Paul Robinson (the early days he was fantastic)
Shay Given

1. Peter Shilton
2. David Seaman
3. Gordon Banks

Played his final game in October 1972.

I personally can't get on board with picking players I never saw first hand but each to their own.

I stuck him 3rd only on the basis of 'A legend'

If I went with who I saw then Southall would be in his place.

I stuck him 3rd only on the basis of 'A legend'

If I went with who I saw then Southall would be in his place.

I wouldn't worry about it man, Paddy was moaning in the other thread about not being able to pick players from the 1978 World Cup (played when he was six years old) ;)

It's not like I know everyone who votes well enough to know exactly who they have and haven't seen properly. If people want to vote for players they've only seen in archive footage...well it's their vote ultimately.

Tons of people will pick Bobby Moore at centre half, not that many will ever have actually watched him play a full match.

I wouldn't worry about it man, Paddy was moaning in the other thread about not being able to pick players from the 1978 World Cup (played when he was six years old) ;)

It's not like I know everyone who votes well enough to know exactly who they have and haven't seen properly. If people want to vote for players they've only seen in archive footage...well it's their vote ultimately.

Tons of people will pick Bobby Moore at centre half, not that many will ever have actually watched him play a full match.

That's why I went for Chris Woods in third place, over some of the more popular votes that were from before my time. I'm trying my best to keep my selections to players I have seen.

Played his final game in October 1972.

I personally can't get on board with picking players I never saw first hand but each to their own.

In the 70s there was much less football on TV or exposure to the international game. When Banks lost his sight it was a huge event. Everyone was talking about it. So much so, for the first time kids playing football wanted to be in goal. It happened so soon after that save v Brazil. He was also replaced by Shilton, stoke had just won their first trophy lots happened around Banks and his saves were shown a lot, hence why he is revered by people like me who were kids in 72 - I was 8!

I met Pat Jennings and saw him play. He had huge hands and one hell of a handshake. I saw Clemence live too so two out of three isn't bad!

That's why I went for Chris Woods in third place, over some of the more popular votes that were from before my time. I'm trying my best to keep my selections to players I have seen.

I think thats a good call Jinks. I will base my votes on players I've witnessed for the next selections.

Showing my age now...

David Seaman
Shay Given
Joe Hart

This needs posting. One of the best saves I've ever seen.

This needs posting. One of the best saves I've ever seen.

That is good, it's no Jimmy Montgomery in 1973 though...*

*I have had propaganda of the 1973 Cup Final drummed into me from a young age by the Sunderland side of my family!

Back