• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The F1 Thread

Stroll Albon prang gifted him the win. Leclerc was just about to do him. Great racing today though.

Safety car messed that up for leclerc, enjoying the battling though

Latifi is a clown.

That's three races in a row now where he's affected proceedings with a SC/red flag from crashing into the barriers.

They look a lot better during day tracks, but they looked absolutely terrible tonight with all the glare, should’ve stopped cutting to them

I dipped in and out but it looks like following the car in front isn't the problem it used to be.

Seems to be a tactic developing of letting someone overtake so you DRS them on the straight.

Did Leclerc bag fasted lap with yellows out?

The new cars haven't been the silver bullet I'd hope in terms of genuine racing but combined with tyres that don't fall apart at first sight of a race track it does at least prolong the battles somewhat. It's far from perfect but at least there's a bit more than the odd 2 lap dash to get in DRS range or an undercut pitstop before someone casually drives off into the sunset unopposed.

Still long for the day DRS becomes obsolete though.

Still long for the day DRS becomes obsolete though.
Is that realistic though? Since they’ve banned the refuelling there’s very little difference in strategy so the cars are practically all the same. So as soon as a car pulls out of the slip stream they will basically start going the same speed again and can’t pass. The DRS was a little overpowered today but that might have been because Verstappens straight line speed was much higher, as Alonso and Ocon was pretty close even with DRS

Is that realistic though? Since they’ve banned the refuelling there’s very little difference in strategy so the cars are practically all the same. So as soon as a car pulls out of the slip stream they will basically start going the same speed again and can’t pass. The DRS was a little overpowered today but that might have been because Verstappens straight line speed was much higher, as Alonso and Ocon was pretty close even with DRS

I'd hope so, isn't the main point it the new cars with less reliance in wing generated downforce to allow them to race closer? You get that formula right and you're back in with a shot where the braver driver who's later on the brakes or willing to hang it round the outside can maybe find an advantage over another rather than getting sort of close and being given a free pass.

Looked in the last race like there was more flexibility in strategy just through having fit for purpose tyres, and think removing the fix from qualifying aids that in lieu of fuel strategies.

I just can't get excited about DRS, it's all so false, it's actually more entertaining when someone manages to hold their nerve and be creative with KERS or whatever it's called these days to keep someone at bay in spite of DRS. It's meant to have made it more exciting by creating overtakes but it's had the opposite effect on me and I prefer to watch it fail!

I don't think F1 will ever have that much genuine racing because the cars like up off the grid in order of speed.

The further back you go, the slower the cars get, at a very simplistic level, slower cars won't overtake faster cars

I don't think F1 will ever have that much genuine racing because the cars like up off the grid in order of speed.

The further back you go, the slower the cars get, at a very simplistic level, slower cars won't overtake faster cars

Fastest car over one lap isn't always the fastest car in the race, conditions change.

That standard is the problem.

It's supposed to be a race series not a procession of the fastest cars possible.

That standard is the problem.

It's supposed to be a race series not a procession of the fastest cars possible.
Out of interest when was the era people where there was tons of genuine racing. I can’t say I can remember a time in the last 20 years.

Vegas Street race next season.

Race will be at 10pm on a Saturday Night, so a 6am (?) Sunday Race for us

FPHx0YyX0AkDGQx

First track where I have driven around most of it as well (and also walked down with a bucket of frozen strawberry vodka drink)

Have to say I really hate this obsession with street circuits, leave that shit for Formula E

Reactions: jlo
Vegas Street race next season.

Race will be at 10pm on a Saturday Night, so a 6am (?) Sunday Race for us

FPHx0YyX0AkDGQx

First track where I have driven around most of it as well (and also walked down with a bucket of frozen strawberry vodka drink)

Walked round Silverstone after the GP a few years ago which was pretty cool. Lewis stopped at Stowe and did a few victory doughnuts right in front of us so I scooped up some gravel and a load of his tyre marbles and have now got a mini-Stowe corner in my man cave. The bemused wife puts it down as a man thing.

Lottery winning fantasy would be to drive all of the major tracks and go to all of the F1’s over a couple of years, would absolutely love that. Shame you’ve got to be a borderline lottery winner to even buy a GP ticket these days never mind thinking about getting on a circuit. Don’t know how people do it but that Vegas GP will pull in some serious numbers for sure.

Have driven the Nurburgring (Nordschleife). Whilst no longer a GP track its a still a bucket-list box-ticker and was f*cking mental. People say Spa is the next best thing but not sure I’m ready to sell a kidney just yet.

Can but dream.

Back