• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football Coaching Thread

I'll share anything I do with you guys, if we have a little network of people passing on stuff it can only be good.

Don't try to bend players to a preconceived idea of what you want, you may want to play 442 but have no wingers and 3 good players wanting to play CB, I manage an adult team at the giddy heights of tier 16 (2nd bottom!) and have a youth side and the youth side is a lot more enjoyable.

Obviously start with kids, then progress. I think once people see what I can do, the rest will follow. I want to work with players and make them the best they can, because all my coaches were $#@! and I had to teach myself. I have a good grip of tactics I reckon and a good knowledge of football, and a bit of belief in myself which helps.

I can do this.

Nice thread,then Saunders clearly hacked your account. :)

Certificate came today to say i'm level 2 qualified, it's nice to actually see it in writing.

Certificate came today to say i'm level 2 qualified, it's nice to actually see it in writing.

Nice work Slink, since I got mine last year two lads on my team have failed their first assessment, out of the 40 that started on mine only about 24 took the final assessment and when I left I was only about the 4th that had passed out of about 15 that had been in, pass rate is about 40% passed on what I was told by the lad that was my tutor so they don't just hand them out like the Level 1.

Today I have been offered the chance to be on the coaching team for the South Yorks u16 Girls side which I have accepted so just hoping it happens, very limited training time however will be good to get some experience at a level above what I am at. I tried to get a youth side to work with an "established club" so I can do my level 3 (uefaB) however haven't managed to yet as I can't get one to work with.

Nice work Slink, since I got mine last year two lads on my team have failed their first assessment, out of the 40 that started on mine only about 24 took the final assessment and when I left I was only about the 4th that had passed out of about 15 that had been in, pass rate is about 40% passed on what I was told by the lad that was my tutor so they don't just hand them out like the Level 1.

Today I have been offered the chance to be on the coaching team for the South Yorks u16 Girls side which I have accepted so just hoping it happens, very limited training time however will be good to get some experience at a level above what I am at. I tried to get a youth side to work with an "established club" so I can do my level 3 (uefaB) however haven't managed to yet as I can't get one to work with.

Mine was quite a big course due to a few cancellations and we ended up with 59 i think and last week when i was passed only 20 others had and they were the ones i expected to like Paul Merson's son and an ex pro from Italy who's now working at the Villa. I think it's right that it's tough because too many kids are being "coached" by people who have no idea.

I don't blame you for accepting that offer, it's going to be a good experience. I think that's the only problem with the level 3 is that you need a team and you need one who are going to be help you, i'd love to do it in a couple of years and if i get a few breaks where i am at the moment then it could happen but i'm just seeing how things are going at the moment.

I can never remember his name but that was a lad on my course that had played for Carlisle and he was in right before me and failed as he had running with the ball but had made his end game pitch too small so there wasn't enough room to run with the ball.

I am booked on the FA youth module and Level 2 GK course for the summer, I contacted a few of the non league sides though about going and helping out with there u19s and u21s sides and didn't get any joy.

What would you say are the key points to coaching are in your opinion. What do you learn as you move through levels that perhaps who never previously considered. What to you makes a good coach?

I can never remember his name but that was a lad on my course that had played for Carlisle and he was in right before me and failed as he had running with the ball but had made his end game pitch too small so there wasn't enough room to run with the ball.

I am booked on the FA youth module and Level 2 GK course for the summer, I contacted a few of the non league sides though about going and helping out with there u19s and u21s sides and didn't get any joy.

And to Slink too, if you book yourself on the courses (Level 3) there will be a lot of people on the course with links to clubs, both pro and semi-pro. I worked with Macclesfield (League 2 at the time) due to a coach there being on the same course and managed to complete all of my hours with their school of excellence (U15, 16 and U18). I would say to both of you it is more about experience and getting as many practices as you can see in. I also found Universities and colleges are helpful to get some hours in and the standard of player is decent. I would say aim higher than local Sunday teams as the quality will not be there.

My biggest bugbear is coaches that still line players up and stick to the guidelines set out by the FA in their drills. It is basic run of the mill stuff and shows a lack of imagination and adaptation, but then it's supposed to be basic and run of the mill for you to expand on, not teach to the letter.

The coaching family website is a good start. I have a lot of practices and I think it might be a good idea to load a few up so people can have a look, does anybody have anything specific they want an alternative for? Shooting from distance? switching play? a simple warm up with the ball? and do you want it is a function, small sided game (8v8) or attack vs defence?

What would you say are the key points to coaching are in your opinion. What do you learn as you move through levels that perhaps who never previously considered. What to you makes a good coach?

That all depends on what you want out of the game and what your style is. I've seen shouters and screamers get their teams to win and be regimented and some people like their coaches to do that (Pav's style). I've also seen people that hardly say a word and let their practices do the talking. I think a good coach is somebody who is comfortable with their style, makes the players know that that is their style and so all know what their role is out on the pitch. Have goals to your practices but also have people enjoy them as it is known that if players enjoy the games and practices you put on they will get more out of them. It is also worth knowing that sometimes something wont work, it is imperative as a coach that you recognise that and don't berate players if they cant do what you ask of them. It can take a long time to change behaviour so patience is absolutely key to coaching.

I know it sounds daft but look the part, have the right kit and don't baffle players with science. If you tell any player at any level more than 3 instructions it will not sink in, so don't bother.

you can't book onto the level 3 now though without submitting your final plan CPD statement thing from the level 2, and one of the things I was told was to get experience working at a higher level before being allowed to do the level 3, although I am not sure how strict they are about enforcing that?

As for my style I am very laid back, part of that is because of my work, I work in a massively deprived area of Rotherham and the kids don't respond to shouting, instructions don't work as they want to do their own thing and are generally low resistance learners. So I try to mix up coaching with getting their input, a couple of times a year I let them pick the side and formation but make them explain it to me and their choices, the kids are the ones that want to win I find, my goal is to develop them and keep them interested in school, as a coach I want to make them good passionate footballers however one of my aims is to find out in 15 years time that they are still playing as adults.

In training I get about 20-28 pupils and so I don't do drills that involve any sort of line, the plus side is I can often have full size practise matches or lots of 5 - 6 a side games going on. During the practise matches I will let play run but offer individual advise to some players if needed but will stop the game at 15/20 minute intervals and let the players analysis what is happening. I get them to give me two things they are doing well and then one thing they need to improve on or do better.

Hardly any of them play on the weekends due to their circumstances and so in years 7 & 8 we were regularly getting hammered as we were facing other school sides that all had the odd academy player and the rest were club players, however I have gotten them to a level now where we hold our own and play some fantastic football at times, now a lot of them are playing for clubs having been spotted by coaches and parents of the other teams players and now two have had a number of academy trails and are playing in the top level of youth football so thats a massive boost.

Personally, with the internet and media coverage of football I personally feel that the current young players are more aware tactically and can do things that I couldn't have done at their age.

ah I know Sam (looks a lot like him too)and knew he had a brother called Ben. Didn't know there was another!

So I had futsal with my lads today, one of the ones I mentioned has just finished his trial with scunny and they haven't kept him on but have told him they will take another look at him next season, they gave him some areas to work on. Strength (he is a small lad as it is) control bringing balls out the air, and they want to see him moving and positioning the ball more when he has it. Anyone got anything I can pass on for him to do by himself. I have given him four markers for the time being and told him to make a square and see how high he can get the ball in the air and control it on the way down whilst keeping it in the square, ideally with someone throwing or kicking the ball in space permitting.

Also showed him something I saw in 442 the other week, make an L shape near the corner of two walls, use your left foot and pass into the wall and then let the ball roll across your body as it comes back and then pass with your right onto the other side and repeat. I think it was from mikey artea (cheat!)

Back