• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts? Mine are the worlds gone bonkers...

Ignorance isn't a defence. That said i don't know why he gets 3 games as opposed to Bernardo's one.

From what i can gather he sent his mate a tweet referring to something they both talk about. Like calling your mate a cunt, like you do, but someone else having a go at you like you were talking to someone else, but actually you weren't.
Or was it something else?

He used a word you can’t. There is no mitigation under the new rules.

Negrito, that is what he used. It's a nickname used between friends in all Spanish speaking countries. So basically they banned him because in the UK they don't understand Spanish. Sounds legit to me.

So basically they banned him because in the UK they don't understand Spanish. Sounds legit to me.
Other way round really. Banned because he doesn't understand what his words meant in English.

At least part of the punishment includes some education. The fine won't be an issue for him and 3 games is probably harsh but its no different to you or me going to another country, doing or saying something that is fine here but not allowed there. If we stood up in court and said 'but back home" it would not help.

3 games and a 10k fine for saying thank you my friend in a tweet is more than harsh. It doesn't actually mean anything in English, as it's not an English word. When it was pointed out to him that "in some contexts" it might be construed to be one he deleted the tweet and apologised. Maybe they should just hang, draw and quarter the guy. I mean, it's worse than murdering someone no?

It's also what his fellow countyman Suarez got banned for saying 9 years ago

Quite right, lets start a campaign so that all English speaking people can be called n***** whenever someone is Spanish speaking.
He didn't say that though did he. Misinterpreting someone else's language to for your own ends (FA/BBC et al) doesn't quite sit well with me, or the whole spanish speaking world either.
Here's a example for you. Mates in the USA call each other nigga. It's a term of endearment between them. Shall we stop them doing that too? Aussie's call each other cunts. Stop that?
The agenda to stamp out racism should be directed towards the real racism. Like police harrassment towards young and old black people, not targeting easy pickings which aren't really racist in any way.
And before you say there is no police harressment i have black friends who tell me every day what they encounter on a very regular basis.
Btw, Cavini got fined 100k, not 10k. Even more shocking.

I’m sorry but ignorance is no excuse
Sorry, i'm not sure what you mean. Ignorance? Someone has decided that part of a spanish word sounds a little like a racist word here, but doesn't mean the same in any way and that is worth a 3 match ban, a 100k fine, and the guy is labelled as a racist?
In any sane world that is completely fucked up.
Only the media could possibly make anyone believe that the scenario above is how the world should work. Normal people can see it for what it is. A tweet that in his own langauge is "Thank you my friend", which when pointed out to him that "in SOME contexts" it MIGHT offend someone he deleted it and apologised straight away. End of story.

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law (or the regulations in this case).

its that simple.

I bet if it went to a proper court they would throw the case out. But the FA is it's own judge, jury and executioner, and as such are completely devoid of competence.

Okay. Let’s put it into a legal context properly.

imagine you are from a country where you can drive with five pints inside you. You do the same over here and get nicked. Your ignorance of our drink drive limit being lower than that is no defence.

He didn't say that though did he. Misinterpreting someone else's language to for your own ends (FA/BBC et al) doesn't quite sit well with me, or the whole spanish speaking world either.
Here's a example for you. Mates in the USA call each other nigga. It's a term of endearment between them. Shall we stop them doing that too? Aussie's call each other cunts. Stop that?
The agenda to stamp out racism should be directed towards the real racism. Like police harrassment towards young and old black people, not targeting easy pickings which aren't really racist in any way.
And before you say there is no police harressment i have black friends who tell me every day what they encounter on a very regular basis.
Btw, Cavini got fined 100k, not 10k. Even more shocking.
Are you really complaining that it seems unfair for "them" to use that word, yet you aren't able to? (That's in parenthesis, as I am unsure of the nature or your reasoning of separating them and us by the way, but that suggests a distinction I don't acknowledge exists).

Okay. Let’s put it into a legal context properly.

imagine you are from a country where you can drive with five pints inside you. You do the same over here and get nicked. Your ignorance of our drink drive limit being lower than that is no defence.
You are correct. Only that example isn't one against this one, as the one you put up is actually the law. An example would be me tweeting "Thanks my friend" to a good friend of mine and the whole of Latin America getting up in arms because someone there took some part of one word out of that tweet, converted into Spanish and decided it was offensive. Not only that, my apology was ignored, i was labelled a racist, fined, and probably shot in a secret raid by the Spanish police.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back