• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
You get that a lot. I appreciate Wolves owners have changed my stance slightly, however are Utds or LFCs conglomerate owners any more righteous or noble than any others? Both used financing, debt leverage and hedge funds which are just a grayer form of not being great.

I feel like Fulhams owners is one of the few that you can look at his wealth and at least on the surface it all seems mostly ethical.

I think there's a large difference between corporate conglomerates and murderous regimes with extremely questionable human rights practices

I've seen first hand in the Congo what conglomerates can do in the name of profit. £ for £ their damage is way more than any Gulf state ever inflicted.

Anyway, notice the date anybody? 32 years ago a lot of people went to football and didn’t come back. It could have been fans of any club. I took a quiet moment to remember that day. Watching on tv was pretty awful. God alone knows what is was like for those involved and their families.

EzCTfl3WEAEADHQ

Anyway, notice the date anybody? 32 years ago a lot of people went to football and didn’t come back. It could have been fans of any club. I took a quiet moment to remember that day. Watching on tv was pretty awful. God alone knows what is was like for those involved and their families.
I was round at my Nan and Grandad's. Game wasn't televised live (just Grandstand reports) so me and our kid were playing football in the garden. Granda came out and said "the game's been suspended, they're saying crowd trouble on the radio". Went in to watch the TV, little did we know.

Quite right, it could have been any game, any club, any time.

...it nearly was for Spurs fans in the semi final against us at the same venue a few years earlier.

I was round at my Nan and Grandad's. Game wasn't televised live (just Grandstand reports) so me and our kid were playing football in the garden. Granda came out and said "the game's been suspended, they're saying crowd trouble on the radio". Went in to watch the TV, little did we know.

Quite right, it could have been any game, any club, any time.
Strange things you remember. My enormous albino rabbit had died the week before. On the day my parents went out with my brother to choose a new rabbit that would be his as the original was mine. They arrived back to me watching the coverage. Henry was a lovely rabbit but I always associate him with that horror.

...it nearly was for Spurs fans in the semi final against us at the same venue a few years earlier.
Taylor report made that abundantly clear. 1981 Sheffield Wednesday chairman said “bollocks - nobody died” and didn’t get the stadium safety certificate updated. That was disgraceful

That comment killed a lot of people, when combined with a lot of inept actions by Police high ups.

Were Wolves playing Aldershot that day?
I know my Dad was at an away game and he didn't speak a lot when he got back. Normally he would have gone on and on and on, especially if we lost.

Were Wolves playing Aldershot that day?
I know my Dad was at an away game and he didn't speak a lot when he got back. Normally he would have gone on and on and on, especially if we lost.
Yes we were

I'd recommend The Truth by Phil Scraton for anybody. Scraton was head of the Hillsborough Research Panel and an outstanding academic. Before Hillsborough he wrote extensively on state violence in Northern Ireland and recently turned down a Queens honor (think a CBE)

There were passages of that book that I sobbed, and others namely the conspiracy by the Police, Coroner and Media I felt physically sick. Its a very difficult read but it should be read by any football supporter imo.

The 97th victim of Hillsborough was a chap who sold his ticket to a friend who didn't make it out. Consumed with guilt he donated £61,000 to the Hillsborough fund and committed suicide 22 years later. RIP Steven Whittle.

I'd recommend The Truth by Phil Scraton for anybody. Scraton was head of the Hillsborough Research Panel and an outstanding academic. Before Hillsborough he wrote extensively on state violence in Northern Ireland and recently turned down a Queens honor (think a CBE)

There were passages of that book that I sobbed, and others namely the conspiracy by the Police, Coroner and Media I felt physically sick. Its a very difficult read but it should be read by any football supporter imo.

The 97th victim of Hillsborough was a chap who sold his ticket to a friend who didn't make it out. Consumed with guilt he donated £61,000 to the Hillsborough fund and committed suicide 22 years later. RIP Steven Whittle.
I've read that, it's a tough read, but an important one, and it's a book that has stayed with me ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back