• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
UEFA statement is powerful. Play in this shit show and no Euros or World Cup for you. It’s Packer cricket and hopefully dies the same death.

It's got to happen at some point. Now is possibly a better moment than any other.

The thing is that Packer cricket did on a wider scale change how cricketers were paid and turned it into a properly professional (and more global) game, with proper broadcasting. On the whole it was a force for good, just a messy one.

The Premier League allowed English football (grossly undervalued by an FA who still thought it was 1952) to catch up with European leagues which it had fallen badly behind, allowed clubs to redevelop stadiums that were essentially piss soaked death traps (no romanticising of them, please) and stopped the absurd practice of English TV viewers being able to see an average of less than one live match per week over a season.

This isn't solving any problem beyond "Liverpool, Arsenal and Real Madrid don't think they have enough money".

It's not so much international football that is going to cause anyone to have second thoughts, it's being binned off from the domestic leagues. If you're locked into this shite forever and nothing else then it won't end well. There isn't any appetite for it at all.

That's exactly what I'm entirely happy with them going ahead - at best for them it ends up as an interesting side competition for the fake fans who already support them. At worst they are petitioning to be let back in to the PL in 4 or 5 years time. Either way it's a great opportunity for Wolves.

What you really want is a statement from all broadcasters that they won’t bid for the rights.

The amount of dead rubbers and meaningless games will lead to some very sterile stuff.
This will be the only gig in town to no domestic cups or anything either.
The current CL needs a revamp their current solution is crap but is far better than this lunacy.
The big 6 are trying to have the best of both.
Play the closed shop Super league but remain in the PL with the attitude of “you still get to play us” but stop dreaming about being elite, but you can have the Europa league and be happy with that.
Absolute misjudgment of how fans enjoy football even the fans of the big 6 are rejecting this.

Bin the champions league off make it back to win and you're through, lose and you're out, everyone has to play their best teams, and good football you'll get none of the bottom of the group with no hope of qualifying matches that no one cares about, who knows may even get some winners outside the usual suspects.
Bring the cup winners cup back as well while we're on it, the bigger teams here that always seem to win it, would still be in Europe, but again they'd have to win or go home, again could Spring a few surprises.
None of this would work, it wouldn't be making enough money especially if you get say lokomotiv Plovdiv vs Flora Tallinn in the 1/4 finals

I couldn’t give a shit if they are there or not. I care about Wolves and that’s it.

The broadcasters cutting their money would just mean players get paid less. The top end players would still get the big bucks from SL clubs. But your players at Wolves would just have their wages reduced in line with the TV rights reduction. The quality on show to me would be no different to it is now.

Last edited:
Even if they back down from this UEFA and the PL should be dishing out some heavy sanctions against these clubs. Their intentions are disgusting enough, the defence that we didn’t do it so can we forget about it want wash.

I've been toying with being ok with creating a Super League from scratch with brand new clubs.

I'm not sure though

The fact Spurs think they’ve got the right to be in this super league is just laughable 2 league titles, no major trophy in 13 years.
Yes a good cup side but no more, they’ve had 5 seasons in the CL since it’s inception in 1992.
History doesn’t even dictate Spurs being there the other ok have a good level of success.
Villa and Everton history wise are more qualified to be in this, as per the London factor over inflates the size of London clubs.

You could probably argue forest should be in it, won the European cup twice in a row, that's 2 more times than arsenal or Tottenham, and double Chelsea and villas wins

Leeds have made as many European Cup/Champions League finals as Arsenal or Spurs. More league titles than Spurs too and won the title more recently.

The old European Cup format was shite, mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back