• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Believe it or not there’s clowns out there comparing this to when the PL was created.
Firstly promotion and relegation remained and always have remained integral to it.

Irony of this is they want a competition that doesn’t allow relegation or promotion. Funny thing is every single one of them at some point has had to benefit from promotion to enable them to reach where they’re now. Apart from Arsenal all of them have been promoted at some point since 1960.

I'm assuming this is the clubs presurising UEFA into reformatting the CL in their favour as they did when the CL was created in the first place? There was talk of a European Super League back then if I recall.

Oh aye, they've been mithering about it for 20 years or more.

The thing is if you keep rattling the cage, you'll wake whatever it is that's sleeping inside there. It's pretty unequivocal from UEFA and all the member associations.

By all accounts those in charge at the clubs are relying on the global appetite for this competitions support. I’m almost certain they’ll back down after today, they probably expected rejection but not to this level where it’s gone pretty toxic.

How does that even work though, as you can't appeal to say, China/India/SE Asia and the US at the same time. Because whenever you play the games, one of the two will miss out.

It's a stupid idea on so many levels.

How does that even work though, as you can't appeal to say, China/India/SE Asia and the US at the same time. Because whenever you play the games, one of the two will miss out.

It's a stupid idea on so many levels.
I know as MW says probably more of a ploy to get more of their own way with the new CL format.

The original years of the Champions league rebrand the group stage decided the final and the Semis in the second. They'd be better looking at an expanded or altered money-spinning format. If it was two groups of 8 initially that required qualification, you played 7 games and then it's the top 5 from each in a kinda playoff format.

I get that's a rubbish idea but I made it up as I was typing, but the concept better fits what they want.

Edit - Or two groups of 12.

There's a lot of delusion on here with regards to the impact on Wolves if it were to happen (it won't). Fosun didn't sign up to be in a regurgitated version of the Championship.

Well the clubs were supposed to make an announcement at 2130 nothing yet.

As Gary Neville said they’re big bottlers

It'll be exactly the same as that big picture bollocks. It's a disgusting attempt at a power grab that they'll bottle.

If they have provably had discussions on this, or put their name to anything in writing, they should genuinely be suspended from the league.

Neville was spot on in everything he said. Those clubs are utterly shameless and need to be punished

The thing is, do the league have the bottle to punish them if they have? I'm not sure they do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back