• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Football News Thread 2023/24

Elephant in the room is if the challenge is in blue card territory it’s going to be reviewed by the VAR twats as a potential red anyway.

And we have had a red not for dissent but aggressive jogging that the poor ref thought might end up in some dissent in a bit. So the punishment is already there.

Stop fucking about with the laws of the game IFAB and start influencing the gimps who are making the decisions and are chocolate teapot useless.

The only way I accept it, and even then begrudgingly, is if it drives us closer to stopping the clock when the ball goes out of play, a foul is given, etc.

I enjoy the drama of how flexible stoppage time is, but for competitive balance it’s too easily skewed.

Elephant in the room is if the challenge is in blue card territory it’s going to be reviewed by the VAR twats as a potential red anyway.

And we have had a red not for dissent but aggressive jogging that the poor ref thought might end up in some dissent in a bit. So the punishment is already there.

Stop fucking about with the laws of the game IFAB and start influencing the gimps who are making the decisions and are chocolate teapot useless.
That was 2 yellows

Is there a connection between a blue and yellow/red card?
For instance 2 bad fouls and you get a red.
Can you have (say) 4 blue cards, then. "Ooh! That's a bad foul - and its a yellow!"
Or if you get 2 blues then you get a yellow on your next cynical foul?

Nobody has defined that yet as far as I can tell. As two yellows are already a red and a blue seems to be worse than a yellow the fit seems complex. And basically a bad idea.

It's already been mentioned.

Blue + Blue is a red.

Blue + Yellow is a red.

Yellow + Yellow is a red as always.

Basically a blue is equivalent to a yellow but for cynical fouls that deserve more punishment than a normal yellow. Like stopping a clean break away that could potentially lead to a goal. So the 10 mins out is the extra punishment.

The idea is that a blue card has a 'higher' punishment level than a yellow, so a blue/yellow card followed by a yellow/blue card means a red card is issued.

The problem IMO will be in the application.

It's already been mentioned.

Blue + Blue is a red.

Blue + Yellow is a red.

Yellow + Yellow is a red as always.

Basically a blue is equivalent to a yellow but for cynical fouls that deserve more punishment than a normal yellow. Like stopping a clean break away that could potentially lead to a goal. So the 10 mins out is the extra punishment.
Ah right, I'd missed that.
Good explanation though, so thanks for that.
But yes, the thin ice is foreseeable isn't it?
"So, at long last we think we've got a handle on how we issue yellows and reds. Ok, that's good, because, we're gonna issue blue ones as well now, listen stop sweating, it's really very simple..."

I agree that there are certain cynical fouls that deserve more punishment than a yellow. As always like VAR it'll be the application that messes it up..

Refs giving blues for fouls that don't really warrant it, putting a team at an unfair disadvantage.

Also, if you get someone sin-binned what's to stop one of your players going down for 5 mins "injured". Does the ref stop the sinbin timer for that?

I mentioned the injuries already. Players will suffer head injuries for the whole ten minutes. Farcical idea

I agree that there are certain cynical fouls that deserve more punishment than a yellow. As always like VAR it'll be the application that messes it up..

Refs giving blues for fouls that don't really warrant it, putting a team at an unfair disadvantage.

Also, if you get someone sin-binned what's to stop one of your players going down for 5 mins "injured". Does the ref stop the sinbin timer for that?
The thing for me is how it will totally change the flow of the game.

A red card always changes a game, but they're not that frequent and are usually because of a player committing something pretty serious.

I can imagine these sin bins happening pretty much every game, it will have a huge impact.

The thing for me is how it will totally change the flow of the game.

A red card always changes a game, but they're not that frequent and are usually because of a player committing something pretty serious.

I can imagine these sin bins happening pretty much every game, it will have a huge impact.
Yes, I think so too.
Though it MIGHT not be quite so bad if the clock stops when the ball is out of play.
10 minutes should mean 10 minutes of football play, not just 10 fucking minutes.
And if there's deliberate time wasting that gets a fucking blue as well and the ref adds on a couple of shithousery minutes....
Doubt THAT'll happen though.

If you want to do that then just make them a red, it would cut them right down

I'd be more okay with the blue carded player being removed entirely, but you get a free sub after some amount of time to replace them.

I'd still rather the refs just used yellows and reds more effectively, though.

I'd be more okay with the blue carded player being removed entirely, but you get a free sub after some amount of time to replace them.

I'd still rather the refs just used yellows and reds more effectively, though.
I'd love to have seen Brentfords goalie get a second yellow today for time-wasting, but it just doesn't happen, so giving them a blue and make them put an outfield player in goal for 10 minutes would be fun.

Back