• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Golf Thread

Wilson Staff are decent clubs for not silly money. Mizuno also make a variety of sets at different price brackets for different standards. You should probably also look at Callaway and Taylor Made, depending on your budget, and Ping are great but can be bastard expensive. Make sure you don't buy blades but get peripheral weighted irons. Also, go to a pro-shop and get measured for the fit so the clubs sit correctly at address, and get your swing speed measured as that will tell you the correct stiffness of shaft (oo-er).

Also - make sure you have a 5 wood in there and possibly even a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron and a 2 iron. Long irons are a bastard to hit.

Del and Kenny if you are serious about taking up golf may I respectfully suggest that you invest in a few lessons with a pro.
Sometimes you can get some good deals with the golf pro at the local club. He may also have some good trade-in clubs on sale as well.

Asoluteley, I wish I had..... Bfore you get bad habits

Any of you regular golfers have any good driver covers? I have this for my King Cobra M-Speed:

ce2r_0a6_u939i.jpg

It's a bear geddit? :D

I have ST George flag head covers, and putter cover

Wilson Staff are decent clubs for not silly money. Mizuno also make a variety of sets at different price brackets for different standards. You should probably also look at Callaway and Taylor Made, depending on your budget, and Ping are great but can be bastard expensive. Make sure you don't buy blades but get peripheral weighted irons. Also, go to a pro-shop and get measured for the fit so the clubs sit correctly at address, and get your swing speed measured as that will tell you the correct stiffness of shaft (oo-er).

Also - make sure you have a 5 wood in there and possibly even a 7 wood instead of a 3 iron and a 2 iron. Long irons are a bastard to hit.

I have Ping G10's they are quite cheap now, especially since the G20's are out

I'm looking to get a good starter set of clubs.

Can anybody recommend some?

hybrid ftw....

If you're starting, get a hybrid.

My first half set I bought off my dad circa 20 years ago. I added the other clubs missing to make the full set. I changed the driver as my dad gave me one he couldn't use.

My dad plays every week, & swears by his hybrids. In fact, he doesn't use his irons if he can help it - which imo has hampered his game.
A mate I play with got a hybrid last year & swears by it too. It's made a big difference to his game. However, it appears that he too is losing his skills with his irons...

My clubs are all old. As I only play about 10-15 times a year, I'm not convinced atm it is worth me buying a new set. The ones I have suffice. That said, they're old metal shafts. I remember having a go with one of my dads carbon graphite irons, & the difference in the flex was amazing - felt like I was playing with rubber clubs!

Lesson went well tonight.

Need to find some clubs now, finally managed to hit a ball 150 yds with an Iron! Improvement!

They are sort of alright but nothing to get tumescent over

Where the hell is the 5 iron? There would be a significant gap in your yardages without it (for reference I hit a 4 iron 180, 5 iron 165, and 6 iron 155 - that would be a twenty five yard gap in your yardages without the 5)

My set-up, although I appreciate I have been playing a lot longer. Is Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, 3-9 iron, PW, SW, 64 degree lob wedge.

They are sort of alright but nothing to get tumescent over

Where the hell is the 5 iron? There would be a significant gap in your yardages without it (for reference I hit a 4 iron 180, 5 iron 165, and 6 iron 155 - that would be a twenty five yard gap in your yardages without the 5)

My set-up, although I appreciate I have been playing a lot longer. Is Driver, 3 Wood, 5 Wood, 3-9 iron, PW, SW, 64 degree lob wedge.

Cheers Pad. Had a lesson tonight and the pro said to get a set with steel shafts so I'm just scouring gumtree and ebay for some

Having had a look on american golf you can get new Wilson Di9 NG irons which ought to suit for £279. That is 4-sw. Get a Wilson staff 3 hybrid and that is you set for irons. The Di7 irons are on offer at £189

Both are suitable for high handicappers, and you can build the rest of the set from Wilson products too. As a bonus for the gear-whore golf scarfer, Wilson Tour golf bags are fucking great and second in looks only to Taylor Made.

Taylor Made Burner plus 4-SW is available at american golf at a superb £349, and is available in a variety of shaft flexes by the look of it. That is a really good set of irons, but I don't know your budget!

Fazer FP5 Steel Irons are £149 new at American. Designed for beginners and you get 4-sw for that price.

I have seen those Wilson ones but they're a bit out of my price range at the moment.

I just need a set for about £100 to last me 12-18 months when I should hopefully be in a better position (and golfer) to get some better clubs

Get yourself to a proshop and see their offers. You can pick up sets of Mizuno irons for around £80 but they are aimed at mid-handicappers and above so will probably be blades and therefore a fucking nightmare for a beginner.

The advantage to the ones I have listed above is they suit mid-high handicappers (say from beginner to a 13 or 14 handicap and possibly lower than that) so they will last for ages gamewise. Buying cheap shite might be a false economy.

A word of warning -never buy whole sets from the argos catalogue without researching the clubs first.

Oh - and Hippo are shit.

Wilson Golf Reflex full package set is £199 at american. Driver, 5 hybrid wood, 6-SW, Putter. bag blah blah blah. Nice deal but I would definitely want to add 4 and 5 irons and probably a 3-hybrid

If I can get a good starter set then I can add to them as I go along no bother

Back