• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
People give some players a lot of "benefit of the doubt" instead of judging what they see with their eyes, I think a lot of it is because of the price paid and reputation of potential that they've heard from other sources.

Fabio Silva wasn't very good when he played for Wolves, he's probably got better with more experience and filled out a bit, but his numbers in both Belgium and the Netherlands aren't anything exceptional and the Premier League has seen players that have come from the likes of Ajax and PSV, into the Premier League with way way better numbers and be completely shit. Sometimes "goals and assists per minute" thing is a bit of a red herring, as even though it's broken down that way - it only seems to be used for players that don't get many starts and then you have to question why that is. If he was coming on looking a threat and doing the job asked of him then he wouldn't be on the bench every game, it's not like he has prime R9 ahead of him. These are the exact same things that were used in the defence of Cutrone.

Collins body of work for Wolves so far has been dreadful. He will get better in some aspects of his game as he is young for a CB, again though some people going over the top pretending there are parallels to draw between him and Stones, who had shown loads more ability at the same age, I wonder if the same benefit would be given to Collins had he put in the same performances he has, but he'd joined from Milwall for 500k? I very much doubt it.

I guess I also wonder if we are actually that bad.

Our form under Lop was top half, so the "we've been shit for 3 seasons" whilst true was largely down to Lage.

Lop is an elite manager, does he need to tear it up and start again as a hell of a lot of Wolves fans are saying? Or just manage his current squad get more goals out of us and stop the brainfarts and we're a top 10 team?

In contradiction of all that I'm not convinced that a midfield trio of Lemina, Traore and Gomes are experienced and robust enough to be good enough over a whole season.

Moutinho and Neves leaving are huge, yet midfield doesn't seem to be an area that there's a lot of concern about.
We look better because we don't have a moron who can't organize a team in charge.

The underlying numbers were still fairly wretched under Lop, however, and we saw that come home to roost twice, against Brighton and Arsenal.

We've fixed one problem in the manager, now we actually have to give him a hammer and some nails to put this ship back together.

I think you are quite delusional if you don't see that we need another GK, 2 Midfielders, a CB,and striker at the very least. Staying up is all well and good, but it would be nice to not be bored to tears as fans at the same time.

I understand as does everyone that we need to sell before we buy, and Neves is the start of that. Julen has made noises that he wants to bring some new guys in to fit what he wants to do, and hopefully Fosun allows that or truly I think he will say heck with it and be out the door.

We shall see how the rest of the window goes, still plenty of time.

Heck with just aiming for midtable, have loftier aspirations than that.

I suppose people haven't mentioned midfield too much as although Gomes and Bouba are young and inexperienced, we've seen bits that suggest they can kick on. Lemina is experienced and has done quite well. We'll need another experienced guy in there, hopefully one that can drive forward. Now we definintely know Neves is on his way, we'll probably see more possibles there.
The elephant in the room is Nunes, will he stay, will he go back to CM now Ruben has gone, will he fulfill his hype?

That's it though isn't it, what the owners aspire to and we as fans aspire to can be entirely different things.

The amount of money it would take to get us top 6 is astronomical, top 4 even more so.

But to keep us ticking around 8th - 16th? That won't cost much at all, especially with a good manager like Lop.

I think that's what Fosun are aspiring to now, and all the lines they're feeding us in the press lately suggest that too.

So whilst yeah, I'd love a more consistent keeper and a more decisive CB than Kilman, I think both are good enough for what the club aspire to and with our budget now as well we'd struggle to improve on them anyway.

Last edited:
I think you are quite delusional if you don't see that we need another GK, 2 Midfielders, a CB,and striker at the very least. Staying up is all well and good, but it would be nice to not be bored to tears as fans at the same time.

I understand as does everyone that we need to sell before we buy, and Neves is the start of that. Julen has made noises that he wants to bring some new guys in to fit what he wants to do, and hopefully Fosun allows that or truly I think he will say heck with it and be out the door.

We shall see how the rest of the window goes, still plenty of time.

There's also the question of full backs.
Does JL think Bueno and Giles can cut it with back up from Toti if required?
Is he happy to go with Lembikisa as backbup for Semedo at this stage? I have my doubts.

Brentford signed Raya and Pinnock for £3m each. Both absolutely miles better than what we have.

Sa and Kilman are in no way "good enough", they cost us games all the time.
Not sure Sa has "cost us" (m)any games this season? His mistakes have usually come when we are already losing considerably. Like at Brighton and Arsenal.

He fucked up against Leicester, but he also has made some great saves in games that have won us points. (Palace at home)

As for Kilman, I've seen him make goal saving tackles too (Brentford), and I know you like to really pick fault on things like the Bournemouth goal, but significant howlers? There really haven't been many at all. Could he be more assertive? Of course. But this narrative that you've managed to lead on here that he is "shit" is absurd.

We're a mid table team, we have mid table players, and given our budget and our standing, that's what we'll attract too.

I doubt Lop has had a good look at Silva yet, certainly not in training. Or even spoken to him personally.

Even if you accept we could sell him, people are only guessing at the price, or if teams are interested or not.

He'll come back for pre-season and the manager will make a judgement then IMO. No point selling him if the manager might like him.

I doubt Lop has had a good look at Silva yet, certainly not in training. Or even spoken to him personally.

Even if you accept we could sell him, people are only guessing at the price, or if teams are interested or not.

He'll come back for pre-season and the manager will make a judgement then IMO. No point selling him if the manager might like him.
I would find that shockingly disappointing if true.

The most important aspect of it is Lop doesn’t want players who don’t want to be here, which includes Fabio unless his entourage are making stuff up.

Yeah ideal world, he comes back after pre season, Lop gives him a big hug, he gets a short back and sides and starts banging the goals in.

Problem solved and we don't have to worry about missing out on Coventry strikers that don't look good enough anyway.

It's where you place the bar. I'd say Dawson is good enough - he isn't quick, he's getting on a bit, he's not the smoothest on the ball but he's generally reliable and gets all the basics done to a good standard, plus he can spot danger around him. We could actually improve on him if we wanted to, but he's fine. That's where my bar is.

Kilman can't turn or jump, is a virtual mute and lets the game go on around him. He rarely engages properly and gets beaten far too easily. He wouldn't get anywhere near our back three when we were at our best under Nuno, whereas Dawson quite conceivably would, just swap him for Bennett. Fundamentally, he doesn't defend properly. That's where your bar apparently is.

I would worry that if we followed your model that we're looking more intently at 18th spot more often than looking at 8th spot as a "that'll do" mentality (in the face of all evidence, as I keep saying, these have been bad players for a long time, relatively speaking) just gets you in danger.

I find it funny that most Wolves fans when Julen was first appointed: Let's back him fully and let him make key transfer decisions.

Now a lot of Wolves fans:He has no vision for the club's future,he is just staying because no else wants him, and will be out the door due to our FFP issues, we are fucked this season,let's get ready for the Championship in 2024.

All very laughable, can't have it both ways.

Back the manager, he knows what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back