• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Incoming Transfers Everywhere Thread: Summer 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarabia, Cunha and Nunes all had disappointing maiden seasons for us (borderline disastrous for the latter), none have shown they are capable of any kind of regular goal/assist contributions for us so far, and when you also add in Neto 2023 and the unknown quantity of Sasa, and I just wonder where our attacking output is really coming from.

Maybe it'll all just come together...but there's too much we have to cross our fingers about for me to be that confident of that teamsheet at present.
But, you forgot Guedes.

I do think having over £10m/yr in wages and near £15-£20m in amortisation already locked in via the three players already here will have impacted our decision to sign a striker.

Not every club just goes out and buys who they want. We're currently having to sell before we buy.
That's a choice though. We don't need to do that at all.

No well run, well established company in the world should run like that.

If we've really bowed out of signing that striker until Raul's cleared his locker out then Hobbs has got questions to answer. The profile of that signing looked really good value at £18m, and at the end of the day we needed another forward whether Raul was in the squad or not.

Sell to buy shouldn't mean filling a shoebox with income before then deciding what and who you buy ffs, that's desperate, amateurish stuff - especially given we've already raised more than most people realistically expected to for the whole Summer already. We're miles away from getting in FFP trouble in the next couple of years, it's absolute bullshit. It's a nonsense strategy set by people that just don't understand football

I do think having over £10m/yr in wages and near £15-£20m in amortisation already locked in via the three players already here will have impacted our decision to sign a striker.
Exactly this.

We've clearly been looking for an upgrade in this position as we know we've been looking at Gyökeres & this Argentinian guy. Hopefully we can get one over the line soon.

You mean the first XI that doesn't have a striker and doesn't score goals?

Can't be said often enough.

We're currently relying on struggling players suddenly clicking and Lop being a mini-miracle worker. It shouldn't fill anyone with confidence, we're just hoping for a couple of strong signings to give us a chance of making it work.

Certainly not what Lop (or any manager of his calibre) would have signed up for

None of this really seems to add up.

Firstly, if FFP is really that tight we'd sell Kilman. Even if we spent exactly what we sell him for we're in a better FFP position.

Secondly, it seems that Alex Scott is our entire budget if we can't afford Retegui. That doesn't make sense either, why would you spunk your entire budget on an unproven 19 year old.

Can't be said often enough.

We're currently relying on struggling players suddenly clicking and Lop being a mini-miracle worker. It shouldn't fill anyone with confidence, we're just hoping for a couple of strong signings to give us a chance of making it work.

Certainly not what Lop (or any manager of his calibre) would have signed up for
I don't know, I think the Arsenal & Brighton games took the gloss off what had been a really positive 6 months under Lopetegui. I don't think the vast majority of players were struggling (and most of those that were are gone or going) and the 'mini-miracle' has already been performed to a certain extent.

We need to improve in certain areas obviously, and this weird financial situation is making things a lot harder than it needs to be, but the narrative that we're betting our survival on struggling players suddenly clicking isn't right really.

Firstly, if FFP is really that tight we'd sell Kilman. Even if we spent exactly what we sell him for we're in a better FFP position.

Secondly, it seems that Alex Scott is our entire budget if we can't afford Retegui. That doesn't make sense either, why would you spunk your entire budget on an unproven 19 year old.
Well I suppose that's why the Scott deal hasn't been tied up yet. I'd imagine that the bids that we've already had rejected would've been on the higher side of what we wanted to spend on. We're apparently still interested but maybe waiting for Bristol to lower their valuation so we can sort out other areas in our squad as well?

Anyone here genuinely know if Retegui would have been worth the money?

I don't know, I think the Arsenal & Brighton games took the gloss off what had been a really positive 6 months under Lopetegui. I don't think the vast majority of players were struggling (and most of those that were are gone or going) and the 'mini-miracle' has already been performed to a certain extent.

We need to improve in certain areas obviously, and this weird financial situation is making things a lot harder than it needs to be, but the narrative that we're betting our survival on struggling players suddenly clicking isn't right really.

Do you think Cunha, Sarabia, Nunes, Podence, Hwang and Neto 'clicked' at all last season?

Because these are the main guys currently charged with winning games for us in three weeks time.

No doom and gloom or relegation prediction here, but I can't be bullish about what our team is going to look like as it stands right now

Fabio does not like this.

You're talking about the club that splashes money around like Chelsea when it comes to Mendes players one minute, then pleads poverty like it's Wigan Athletic the next.

Don't expect anything to add up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back