• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Music Thread Strikes Back

I used to listen to the breezeblock on and off over the years but didn’t remember this one. The mixing is superb, mostly songs which people will know too - even a bit of Beatles in there.

Breezeblock was superb! Many of my loves, including my username I found through the breezeblock. Howlett released a dirtchamber sessions cd after that mix. Also introduced me to mogwai! Many fond memories, including checking ceefax for the shows tracklisting the following day.

Went to see Maximo Park on Friday. Wasn't expecting a great deal but was a gift for my dad as he really liked a few of their songs way back when and they've labelled a 'singles tour' so chance for him to see them.

Pleasantly surprised to see they're still a top live act though, been years since I listened to any of their stuff but wasn't honestly no different to when I'd seen them in my youth, shockingly almost 15 years previous! There were a spread of songs across their albums but plenty of humility from the band going through the more recent, less popular tracks. Could see the enjoyment they got from seeing the room come alive when they blasted out an old classic though.

Hadn't really felt like I'd missed live music through Covid but really enjoyed the gig and the nostalgia that went with it.

I think this was the last time I saw Maximo Park. 2007 wow!

Went to see Maximo Park on Friday. Wasn't expecting a great deal but was a gift for my dad as he really liked a few of their songs way back when and they've labelled a 'singles tour' so chance for him to see them.

Pleasantly surprised to see they're still a top live act though, been years since I listened to any of their stuff but wasn't honestly no different to when I'd seen them in my youth, shockingly almost 15 years previous! There were a spread of songs across their albums but plenty of humility from the band going through the more recent, less popular tracks. Could see the enjoyment they got from seeing the room come alive when they blasted out an old classic though.

Hadn't really felt like I'd missed live music through Covid but really enjoyed the gig and the nostalgia that went with it.
Seeing them on Friday so this his encouraging to read

Maxïmo Park are still one of my favourite bands, and I buy every album. Their last one was really good and a return to form, but there's been one or two dodgy ones in recent times.

Always been good live though. I've only seen them once at Rock City years ago, but Paul Smith is a brilliant front man.

I've just noticed that there's a new Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott album out this Friday! Ordered immediately.

I've just noticed that there's a new Paul Heaton & Jacqui Abbott album out this Friday! Ordered immediately.
One song on the album is a tough listen.

Still. A song he wrote about still births and think it was done for a charity. Simple lyrics that cut right through you.
Amazed they sang it live when I saw them at Doncaster in August. Jacqui was in tears singing it.

EMF new single.

Cool fact ordered a Crime of Passion tshirt and their having trouble sourcing the original blue colour in 2xl, so one of the band members Im friends with spoke with the lead singer and is throwing me out a one off gold and black (although he said bloody orange) version just for moi...

one of the band members Im friends with
well-look-at-you.gif

Just got tickets for Depeche Mode next year at Twickenham... Not seen them since 2006 and wonder if this could be the last time. Miss live music so trying to get back in the saddle...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-62919634

what are peoples thoughts?
For me, you (ie the promoter) knows what it'll cost to hire the venue, put on the show, etc. so you can therefore calculate what it'd cost to put on an event.
As a show go-er, not knowing what tickets will cost seems to be unfair.
From a pure economics perspective I can see it - numerous other services are more expensive at peak times, or based on demand. Doesn't feel fair though, and risks pricing out a lot of people/fans, especially kids.

Paul Heaton/Jacqui Abbot are doing something completely different, as are a few other artists.

It might not be pricing me out of going to gigs, but definitely gives me second thoughts about seeing certain artists. I've drastically cut down going to arena/academy types gigs in favour of smaller independent venues.

george best at 35
some rare delight in manchester town

Back