• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

I agree it's why every commentator was shocked when it appeared they were trading up for Jones. 1, because he would have been at 12 or thereabouts anyway, 2 because at Alabama he had all the tools to make him look good and 3 because he's an accurate pocket passer who is functional but isn't going to break teams open. That said that's the MO of Brady...
Jones is better than functional tbf.

I don't watch any college sports, so have no idea who is or is not NFL calibre. 32 NFL teams analyse hundreds of players every year, and they also seem to have no idea who is good enough to play professionally, or who is the best draft choice for them.

Tonight seems wide open - nobody can confidently predict anything after the 1st 2 picks. And some teams are going to really screw it up.

As a Texans 'fan' it doesn't concern me anyway - probably.

College Football > NFL every day of the week for me.

I agree it's why every commentator was shocked when it appeared they were trading up for Jones. 1, because he would have been at 12 or thereabouts anyway, 2 because at Alabama he had all the tools to make him look good and 3 because he's an accurate pocket passer who is functional but isn't going to break teams open. That said that's the MO of Brady...

So of course he went to the Pats.

I'm very upset but also confident that Mac will be excellent there.

Not really clued up on draft prospects but Darrisaw sounds like a good pick for the Vikings and got a decent trade out of it too with two third round picks. The O-line must be the worst in the nfl so desperately needed strengthening.

Line is now going to be Darrisaw - ? - Bradbury - Cleveland - O'Neill - they just need to sort a serviceable left guard out and the line doesn't look terrible.

I know this is the time where everyone is optimistic but it's going to be interesting to watch as if the O-Line can be even average the Vikings should be back in the playoffs minimum with Thielen and Jefferson to throw to and Cook at RB there will be no excuses for Cousins. 7 out of 11 players on defense will be new or returning players that they didn't have last season.

Now also have 4 x 3rd round picks think they will package a couple of those to move back into the 2nd probably for a DE.

49ers took Trey Lance in the end. Jones ending up in NE isn't necessarily a surprise, as only the 49ers had shown a serious interest higher up.

Jones is better than functional tbf.
Functional is the wrong word, traditional probably would have been better. He's not the explosive game breaker with his legs that the other 4 are. Probably suits a side who are going to play a lot of 12 personnel like NE though

Falcons offense looking naughty next year. Doubt there’s many better Trio’s than Julio (if healthy), Ridley and Pitts. Backed up by Davis who is more then functional, Hurst and then obviously Matt Ryan who if protected is up there.

OL full of first rounders and they are optimistic about the two coming in at C and LG to replace Mack. Think they might even draft another OL.

Got to a super bowl (and should have won it...) with a distinctly average D. Draft well there and no reason can’t be play off contenders.

If the only reason he dropped is because of other sides concerns over his epilepsy, which apparently is under control, then it looks a smart move

If the only reason he dropped is because of other sides concerns over his epilepsy, which apparently is under control, then it looks a smart move
You trust the Bears staff?

To me it's like Alladyce/ Dyche/ Warnock picking up Messi

Functional is the wrong word, traditional probably would have been better. He's not the explosive game breaker with his legs that the other 4 are. Probably suits a side who are going to play a lot of 12 personnel like NE though
I felt going in that the two best fits for Mac would be New England or New Orleans... Obviously I didn’t want him to end up as a Patriot but I think he’ll be excellent there.

Worth keeping in mind that for all the hype Joe Burrow garnered last draft, Jones actually had a better final season in college than Burrow did.

I've never understood this, why is this the case Alan?
I think college sports are the closest analogue we have here to the tribalism of football in your neck of the woods. I find plenty of enjoyment and despair in equal measure with the Saints, but Alabama is just in my blood, so to speak. There’s an organic connection there that, for me, professional teams have a really hard time matching. A lot of people feel the same way about the schools they or their parents went to.

Put it this way: my dad lived in New Orleans as a lad, hence my Saints fandom. But if I, having grown up in North Carolina, had chosen to support the Panthers, it wouldn’t have bugged him much. On the other hand, if I started actively supporting a school other than the University of Alabama (where my dad actually was a walk-on for Bear Bryant, although a combination of injuries and the 1976-1979 Bama teams being absolutely stacked meant he never saw the field), it would have driven a legitimate wedge between us.

I felt going in that the two best fits for Mac would be New England or New Orleans... Obviously I didn’t want him to end up as a Patriot but I think he’ll be excellent there.

Worth keeping in mind that for all the hype Joe Burrow garnered last draft, Jones actually had a better final season in college than Burrow did.
On the Alabama front, what's your view of Smith? The numbers and tape speak for themselves, but are you concerned about his slight frame? 6ft and 166lbs is seen as very thin for the NFL. Love his nickname though, the slim reaper.

He’s tough, because you’re right, the film almost defies belief given his size. Three years ago I didn’t think he’d cut it; the skills were all there but he is just so slight of frame.

I want to say that he’ll be excellent, but after the middling to bad seasons that Henry Ruggs III and Jerry Jeudy just had, I have a tough time feeling confident about how any former Alabama receiver will translate to the NFL.

Back