• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Appreciate very much that this has been recognized. I wouldn't be able to say "it's as brutal as rugby" as I have no idea (although I doubt it). But it's still a brutal sport.

Probably an overused number, but I remember the average NFL career being something like 2.5 years. If you aren't a star, the league will discard you at first opportunity, and there are new bodies coming to replace you every single year. Younger, healthier bodies.

It's a rough machine at times.

There was an SI article on it and I am sure it was something like most of a draft class will be out the league within 4 years.

It was linked to an article about draft rounds stats. My memory was that first round was close to 50/50 of making to that point, then everything went down from there.

It's partly why the idea of tanking doesn't work and isn't a real concept for a sport with such a big roster where turnover is so harsh and quick.

A segment used to run on ESPN called "Jacked Up". Watch as three hits that are all dangerous and illegal in 2021 are praised and given a rose-shaded spotlight in 2009.

One of the things about the NFL that I've never been able to grapple with is the fact that this is what people love about it. There is a huge segment of the NFL base in this country that thinks the game has been wussified too much already. They miss segments like Jacked Up. They miss the brutality.

Bah. Listen at me rambling.

It's partly why the idea of tanking doesn't work and isn't a real concept for a sport with such a big roster where turnover is so harsh and quick.
I think you can tank games, but not seasons. Even as a rookie Head Coach you are going to be on the hot seat if you go something like 2-15. Pederson tanked the last game of last season under orders and still got sacked.

Tanking has to come from the top. Tony’s absolutely correct; any coach that unilaterally tanks anything is going to be out of a job quicklike.

I think you can tank games, but not seasons. Even as a rookie Head Coach you are going to be on the hot seat if you go something like 2-15. Pederson tanked the last game of last season under orders and still got sacked.

Actually, this is a great example. I meant more as a season-long concept yeah or the idea certain players would buy into not trying in order to get a slightly higher 1st round player, for a team that they most likely won't be at themselves.

It's awesome to see Mac take to the NFL like a duck to water. Obviously it helps when you land on the best coached team in history, but hey.

Atlanta Falcons really are shite :ROFLMAO:
The depressing thing is we’ve still got the lions and the Jags to play so could end up with 6+ wins and be middle of the pack for the draft.

Which isn’t good when Matt Ryan’s cap hit is something approaching $50m next year because of the dreadful management from the previous administration.

The depressing thing is we’ve still got the lions and the Jags to play so could end up with 6+ wins and be middle of the pack for the draft.

Which isn’t good when Matt Ryan’s cap hit is something approaching $50m next year because of the dreadful management from the previous administration.
The Falcons had a dream schedule, 2 weeks ago they were in the play offs, although it wasn't ever sustainable.

It's awesome to see Mac take to the NFL like a duck to water. Obviously it helps when you land on the best coached team in history, but hey.
I saw something the other day that said he'd be QB1 in the 2022 draft. Just that last year was stacked. BB has handled him really well, not asking him to be anything he isn't, just manage the game. The way he does that as a rookie is highly impressive. Proving to be as advertised, he doesn't have the ceiling of the 4 QB's that went above him, but probably doesn't have the floor either

We’ve played a lot of bad teams this year. But beat the Saints @ NO then score 3 points in the next 2 games. Baffling

We’ve played a lot of bad teams this year. But beat the Saints @ NO then score 3 points in the next 2 games. Baffling
That was a Saints team who lost their QB during the game though. I'm no Winston fan, but it definitely made a diffrence. We discussed this in the spring, but taking a TE at 4 always felt a reach to me. Not the player himself, he'll be awesome, just vs what was needed. 2 quality WR's passed over, time will tell on the QB's and LT

That was a Saints team who lost their QB during the game though. I'm no Winston fan, but it definitely made a diffrence. We discussed this in the spring, but taking a TE at 4 always felt a reach to me. Not the player himself, he'll be awesome, just vs what was needed. 2 quality WR's passed over, time will tell on the QB's and LT
That was the week before. Siemian came in and they still dispatched the Bucs.

They took the best players available. There’s holes every where and no cap space. Not much you can do. Also can’t account for your only WR not playing for personal reasons.

We own Brady in games that don’t matter. But we’re not a very good team with Siemian, and Kamara being hurt is a killer. And Dennis Allen’s defenses are always a safe bet to blow everything in one catastrophic play (like our loss to Atlanta).

I saw something the other day that said he'd be QB1 in the 2022 draft. Just that last year was stacked. BB has handled him really well, not asking him to be anything he isn't, just manage the game. The way he does that as a rookie is highly impressive. Proving to be as advertised, he doesn't have the ceiling of the 4 QB's that went above him, but probably doesn't have the floor either
You could make that argument, I suppose, but anyone who thinks that Mac would have had, say, the Jets at a 7-4 record right now is outside their mind.

Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson were all dropped into situations that are exponentially more difficult than being successful with the Pats, IMO.

That was the week before. Siemian came in and they still dispatched the Bucs.

They took the best players available. There’s holes every where and no cap space. Not much you can do. Also can’t account for your only WR not playing for personal reasons.
No, the Ridley MH situation is terrible for him and the team

You could make that argument, I suppose, but anyone who thinks that Mac would have had, say, the Jets at a 7-4 record right now is outside their mind.

Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson were all dropped into situations that are exponentially more difficult than being successful with the Pats, IMO.
Don't think you've read my post properly Alan

I agree, they've got him playing to his strengths and not exposing his weaknesses. He's accurate, he gets the ball out fast and reads defenses well. But 80% of his passes don't travel further than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage so the degree of difficulty on his throws is very low. He occasionally pushes the ball downfield, but not a lot. He doesn't seem to have a very strong arm, adequate but not strong. I certainly don't think he's the 2nd coming of Tom Brady like most Pats fans are frothing at the mouth about.

Back