• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The NFL Thread

Defenses have gotten smaller to combat spread out offenses. It was only a matter of time before that trend corrected a little.

The rise of the running QB has also helped the running game.

Although you still get Herbert, Brady, Stafford and Rodgers still slinging the ball about as freely as ever.

The job of defensive coordinator has never been harder, IMO. You could theoretically play Arizona and New England in consecutive games. Imagine changing gears between defending those two styles of offense!

Spot on; although I generally agree that the game needs to be made even safer still, we're having to undo nearly a hundred years of football culture that was built around inhuman physicality. It could be years (or decades) before the defensive side of the game catches up.

Getting rid of facemasks is asking for trouble at this stage, IMO (plus it's just such an iconic part of the uniform, I think losing it would take something away from the spectacle of the sport).

Fully on board with making armless tackles illegal, though. That change alone would probably reduce offensive production in the league. Players, especially in the secondary, just do not tackle well anymore. Haven't been able to see much of him out in Denver, but that was one of the things that made Pat Surtain II such a joy to watch at Alabama; you always knew he would actually wrap up with his arms. I'm not sure I ever saw a receiver at the collegiate level beat Surtain 1-on-1 in that situation.

Crazy how using proper technique makes you more effective, ay?

I know it'll never happen, but my radical idea for making the game safer would be to remove facemasks from helmets. If a player thought he was going to lose his teeth and get the shape of his nose rearraged while making a tackle he's probably think twice about leading with his head. I'd also bring in a rule from rugby that penalises 'no arms' tackles. Form tackling is taught for a reason, it's safer and more affective.
No, just no. Everything here is all levels of wrong.

Spot on; although I generally agree that the game needs to be made even safer still, we're having to undo nearly a hundred years of football culture that was built around inhuman physicality. It could be years (or decades) before the defensive side of the game catches up.
I think you'd detract from the game itself if you take out the aggression and physicality of it

Making it technically better is always the solution. I don't buy that the NFL want a game of catch at all, they want not to be sued first and foremost.

There's still a way to go on head protection and helmets are always better than no helmets in everything bar boxing.

If they want more passing, then the NFL should just copy the CFL.
The changes to PI and roughing the passer/kicker calling as well as hits to the head are a start to avoiding injury, but changes on paper need time to see how they actually change things in game.
Requiring wrapping of arms in a tackle, as in rugby, is a good shout.
It's a tough balance, you don't want to end up playing flag football, but also need to protect players.

The CFL is great fun to watch. Tons of extra rules I don't understand, though. A lot more defensive restrictions around who can blitz and when, IIRC.

I don't like 3 downs instead of 4 but otherwise I think it's a fascinating branch of the game.

I like the CFL, can't say I fully understand it either. Thing i love is when one team punts, the receiver can just punt it back...

What are you classing as a tackle though? If an OT pancakes a DT in protection is that a tackle, because they can be some of the most brutal and enjoyable hits, or are you just talking about people who have the ball?

What are you classing as a tackle though? If an OT pancakes a DT in protection is that a tackle, because they can be some of the most brutal and enjoyable hits, or are you just talking about people who have the ball?
In this case the opposite rule would have to apply at the line of scrimmage, as wrapping up en route to a pancake block is always going to get a holding flag thrown.

Our theoretical rule would have to include a "players are allowed to not wrap up if within 2-3 yards of the LoS" or something like that, similar to how the Illegal Contact rule is written.

I don't think wrapping would make any difference in the NFL. The forces are too great and the pads are weaponised as it is.

The tackling aspect of the game has been improved measurably by reducing head hits, blindside blocks and tackles, late hits and leading with the helmet.

One of the big reason wrapping works in rugby is the lack of protection the players wear so not wrapping leads to a block on an unguarded player. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

I don't think wrapping would make any difference in the NFL. The forces are too great and the pads are weaponised as it is.

The tackling aspect of the game has been improved measurably by reducing head hits, blindside blocks and tackles, late hits and leading with the helmet.

One of the big reason wrapping works in rugby is the lack of protection the players wear so not wrapping leads to a block on an unguarded player. That doesn't happen in the NFL.

I think the next step is the tackle that Drake got hurt on and tweeted out, the rodeo tackle I think he referred to it.

You really hate him, huh?

No player is ever a sure thing. Add in to that the number of franchises that have been run terribly to the point that they have a legitimate talent gap between them and the rest of the NFL (specifically, the Jets and Jags), and that makes success for a player even harder.

If Lawrence were in New England and Mac Jones in Jacksonville, I think each team's season would be playing out basically as they are.

It's a real doozie at Lambeau Field!

Come on Bears, let's have a Christmas miracle

And the Bears didn't bother coming out for the 2nd half. WTF did Nagy say to them at half-time??

#Nagyout

Exactly, it's a crap shoot.

You say that but teams with good GM's consistently get good players who improve the team. From first hand Colbert has lots more hits than misses in my decade following them, although no one is perfect.

The Browns GM Andrew Berry has completely turned around a franchise in two years, albeit with high picks.

It's odd because in theory if you have a high pick you should be guaranteed to improve your team but so many seem to butcher it. I find it amazing how much stock is put on the combine vs actual college tape though.

Back