• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The OFFICIAL Womens World Cup Thread

I did not see the game, and have just heard the score on the. Radio. It sounds like England were a little unfortunate, and I feel sorry for the girl who scored the own goal. But these things happen, and they can be proud of their efforts.

The foul was outside the box - so its a free kick.

And it was only a "blatant" step on the back of her foot after it was played in slow motion and hugely zoomed in. There's absolutely no way the ref saw that and she was conned by the theatrical dive.

Anyway, it is what it is. It's late, hot and we're out so who cares!

If the foul continued into the penalty area then the referee was correct in awarding a penalty kick.

Nah sorry chaps, I'm going to call BS on that. 9 times out of 10, if a player is fouled outside the box but then continues to fall or roll in to the area after, a free kick is given - not a penalty.

It appears a directive has been put in place as a get out clause for officials who make the wrong call. Like last night.

It is the rule though. Sako won a penalty against Blackpool a couple of seasons ago for exactly that. And everyone lauded the officials for a good decision

brutal way to get knocked out, sorry guys.

brutal way to get knocked out, sorry guys.

Sits well with the English psyche. Penalties, disallowed goals, bizarre own goals, sending offs etc is an easier way of dealing with the pain than the other which is we're out because we're shit !

We were the better team second half I thought.
Agree with jd, whilst the skills/abilities haven't been great, the passion, excitement & honour have been a joy to view. And I mean that for the team, and the pundits.

Nah sorry chaps, I'm going to call BS on that. 9 times out of 10, if a player is fouled outside the box but then continues to fall or roll in to the area after, a free kick is given - not a penalty.

It appears a directive has been put in place as a get out clause for officials who make the wrong call. Like last night.

If the referee sees a foul outside the area, he can allow play to carry on. If the referee clearly signals that he/she is playing advantage, then should it come to nothing the free kick would be outside the area. If no advantage had been played and the referee blew for a foul when the player was inside the penalty area, then a penalty should be awarded.

... and now we get to lose on penalties in the game no one wants to play in. Great.

If the referee sees a foul outside the area, he can allow play to carry on. If the referee clearly signals that he/she is playing advantage, then should it come to nothing the free kick would be outside the area. If no advantage had been played and the referee blew for a foul when the player was inside the penalty area, then a penalty should be awarded.

If you'd seen the incident then you would know contact was made outside the area and there was no way the player could have had an advantage as they went to ground having been shoved in the back. Not a pen but I can't blame the officials too much as she landed in the penalty area. Is it the rule to give a penalty/ free kick on where the player lands?

A TV replay would've sorted it out and the England penalty too as that wasn't a pen either.

Laura Bassett has spoken out about the own goal. The poor girl is still inconsolable. But she and the other ladies should feel nothing but pride. They have helped put the women's game in the spotlight.

An excellent goalline clearance prevents Germany from taking the lead. So far, Germany have been well on top.

Don't think anyone could argue that these women don't care about the result here.

Good call by the ref IMHO.

A successful tournament for our Ladies, culminating in a first win over Germany and third place in the World Cup. Very well done Ladies.

"now the second best English world cup team EVER".

The BBC is trolling me.

Back