• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Open 2015

They're saying 6 o'clock now. They've just shown a bit with Ken Brown on the 11th green, he's put a ball down and it's just flying a mile as soon as you move your hand away from it, you can't play in these conditions.

An absolutely fascinating interview with Gary Player. What a man he is. Superb.

Says he can't give his opinion on Tiger Woods' demise on film because he'd be way too harsh and if Tiger ever asked him what he thought he'd let him have it. Also if he spent an hour with him he'd change his life.

I dunno shit about golf, but some English kid just hit a hole-in-one on the 11th.

Interesting release from the big wigs at St Andrews.
They say the Open is a stand alone competition and will not pay out €1.1 million to a second placed player.
If an Amateur wins, he'll be presented with the trophy and will recieve a Silver medal and the £1.1 million will be proportionally distributed between all the players who made the cut!

So I'll bet it's a real squeaky bum time for Mr Dunne from Greystones (where I used to live...) knowing all the pros will be gunning for him and the rain's coming too.

I read the release about a 45 mins ago and the BBC have just done a 'live' bit to camera saying the 2nd placed player will get the big quids.
They need to get up to speed then do the Beeb.

They said on SSN that 2nd place would get the winners money, and so on all the way down.

BBC - Live Open page 12:44
In the scenario of an amateur winning The Open, the £1.15m top prize was set to go the player who finished second. Not anymore...

The Open chiefs have released the following statement...

"The Open is a standalone championship and the Championship Committee does not believe that first-place prize money should be paid to a second place finisher.

"Amateur players are not eligible to win prize money and therefore, should an amateur win The 144th Open first place prize money will be distributed proportionately among the professional players who have made the cut."

BBC-COVERAGE Open Championship (Live Sportsday Page)
Posted at 12:59
We're about to kick off proceedings on BBC Radio Five live...

The £1.1m prize will go to second place if amateur Paul Dunne wins......

Has the BBC hired in some staff from the E&S for the day?

No Sniffer.
At 1244 the Open chiefs said, "The committee does not believe that 1st place prize money should be paid to a 2nd placed player"
Blah, blah, "....should an Amateur win The 144th Open, 1st placed prize money will be distributed proportionately among the professionals who have made the cut".

Ah sorry Sniffer, didn't see your earlier post.
Bit of a cock up there then...

BBC-COVERAGE Open Championship (Live Sportsday Page)
Posted at 12:59
We're about to kick off proceedings on BBC Radio Five live...

Has the BBC hired in some staff from the E&S for the day?

In fairness to the Beeb, it wasnt just them all newspapers and radio stations (well the ones I read/heard) were saying the same thing.

What an absolutely sensational day of golf. Rooting for Louis!

Shame for Louis. I was rooting for him over god-squadder Johsnon.

What an absolutely sensational day of golf. Rooting for Louis!

Yes, I was following Louis too because he was encouraging and helping the Irish amateur / playing partner all the way through.
Fair play to him for that.

Can you imagine the exact moment that his final putt as it just lipped out... 'POP!!' That's the sound of half a million quid going somewhere else!

Back