• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

Wouldn't put him above Pele - the other 2 are still going so will reserve judgment till they have finished. Both have greater longevity at the top level than he did.

As to the 'hand of god' do others buy goals lke that - then yes. Should Shilton have dealt with it - then clearly yes, but it was still a deliberate act that he got away with - the officials should have dealt with it and we wouldn't have this discussion (there have been others).

If we could have one of them at their peak for a season at Wolves I’d take Maradonna every retime. I’m sure he would have the biggest impact.

Best player I've ever seen and he used to go clubbing half the week! What he did at Napoli was like one player turning Crystal Palace into league champions. The world has just got more boring.
And at the same time beating the great Milan side of Gullit, Rijkaard, Van Basten, Ancelotti, Maldini, Costacurta, Baresi, Donadoni etc.

Wouldn't put him above Pele - the other 2 are still going so will reserve judgment till they have finished. Both have greater longevity at the top level than he did.

As to the 'hand of god' do others buy goals lke that - then yes. Should Shilton have dealt with it - then clearly yes, but it was still a deliberate act that he got away with - the officials should have dealt with it and we wouldn't have this discussion (there have been others).
i wonder why that might be

it's the extreme example but its indicative of the sort of stuff that went on more regularly then. that leg breaker got goicoechea an on pitch yellow card. (admittedly, a later ban iirc). only two ways to stop maradona, commit numbers to crowd him, or foul him. (ok, you could spike his stash!)

foul messi or ronaldo 5 times in a game and you're likely walking. as mentioned, gentile got away with 20+ on maradona for his yellow in a WC match with supposedly the best officiating.

imagine maradona today where any penalty area contact justifies a penalty and any bad tackle is a potential red card. i think he'd be virtually unplayable with current protections and rule interpretations.

i wonder why that might be

it's the extreme example but its indicative of the sort of stuff that went on more regularly then. that leg breaker got goicoechea an on pitch yellow card. (admittedly, a later ban iirc). only two ways to stop maradona, commit numbers to crowd him, or foul him. (ok, you could spike his stash!)

foul messi or ronaldo 5 times in a game and you're likely walking. as mentioned, gentile got away with 20+ on maradona for his yellow in a WC match with supposedly the best officiating.

imagine maradona today where any penalty area contact justifies a penalty and any bad tackle is a potential red card. i think he'd be virtually unplayable with current protections and rule interpretations.

Yep. Conversely, imagine someone like Grealish on the end of some of the assaults Maradona endured

Yep. Conversely, imagine someone like Grealish on the end of some of the assaults Maradona endured
yep, sadly some potentially great players probably had short careers. maradona was a physical beast as well but god knows how many injections (pain killers!) he must have had in his time.

yep, sadly some potentially great players probably had short careers. maradona was a physical beast as well but god knows how many injections (pain killers!) he must have had in his time.

He used to have cortisone injections in his knees before every game to ease the constant pain

His autobiography El Diego is the closest thing there is to a real life Bouncing Back by Alan Partridge. It's a fascinating read but every chapter has an equivalent of 'needless to say, I had the last laugh'.

Anyway, love him or hate him, genius or cheat, millions of people have lost one of their all time heroes - his legacy isn't the kind you see very often, probably not even in present day geniuses such as Ronaldo and Messi.

If we could have one of them at their peak for a season at Wolves I’d take Maradonna every retime. I’m sure he would have the biggest impact.
Really, Pelés 504 goals in 496 appearances for Santos wouldn't interest you ?

I haven't included his 77 goals for Brazil in 92 appearances as Brazil in the 60's and early 70's were...........well you know :)

Lovely tribute from Boca who lit up Maradonna's private suite last night.20201126_112535.jpg

Really, Pelés 504 goals in 496 appearances for Santos wouldn't interest you ?

I haven't included his 77 goals for Brazil in 92 appearances as Brazil in the 60's and early 70's were...........well you know :)pele
I think Maradonna would create more and score plenty. Comparing across generations is extremely difficult and 90% opinion not fact but fun all the same. In fact even within generations it’s impossible - see Messi and Ronaldo.

Only saw him play at the back end of his career but still brilliant that pass to Cannigia v Brazil in 1990 was brilliant. Talent undeniable could easily make case for being the best ever.
As for the handball I was only 5 so don’t really remember it so can’t say I’m bitter about it at all. I also believe you have to move on, although if you were in that England side it’s a huge moment in your career that you feel has been taken away from you by foul play. It’s also very easy to tell people they should get over things when you’re not the one who’s been a victim of it.

Dunno if you guys heard, but some guys working at the funeral parlour where Maradonas body was lying, took some selfies with his corpse and it got out onto social media.
Last night the Boca Juniors Ultra's found the guy and murdered him 😯
Someone sent me a video of his body being pulled out of a dumpster.
Crazy stuff

Dunno if you guys heard, but some guys working at the funeral parlour where Maradonas body was lying, took some selfies with his corpse and it got out onto social media.
Crazy stuff

I saw that video yesterday and the commentary was in Spanish but can't find any reports about him being killed

I saw that video yesterday and the commentary was in Spanish but can't find any reports about him being killed
All the reports seemed to be that he got the sack, nothing about any killings being reported at the moment.

Crazy stuff
Nothing officially reported other than the guys have been sacked. ATM it seems to be rumour and the suggestion is the video is an old one.

Dave Prowse 85. Met him at Comic Con. Such a lovely man for a second in command of an evil galactic empire.

Back