• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The R.I.P. Thread

That’s fair I guess, but he still was proper National Party for thirty years before the veil dropped from his eyes.

Nothing dropped from his eyes. The international pressure became intolerable unless they wanted to become completely cut off from the western world. Anyone in his position would have done what he did at that point in time, he didn't have a choice Gorbachev did.

Nothing dropped from his eyes. The international pressure became intolerable unless they wanted to become completely cut off from the western world. Anyone in his position would have done what he did at that point in time, he didn't have a choice Gorbachev did.
Unfortunately several who were in his position didn’t do what he did. Not defending the policies that divided the nation then but America in the 60s was almost as bad and divisive and doesn’t get the same stigma. Lots can look better with the benefit of hindsight. South Africa has continued to evolve since FW. He does get done credit for starting the ball rolling from me even if he was part of the system previously.

but America in the 60s was almost as bad and divisive and doesn’t get the same stigma.
Sorry mate but not even on the same page, I was first there in '95 a couple of years after apartheid ended, I would say they were treated like animals, but they weren't treated that well.

Sorry mate but not even on the same page, I was first there in '95 a couple of years after apartheid ended, I would say they were treated like animals, but they weren't treated that well.
Fair enough. Let’s just say both were awful in their time . Glad that times change and progress, although slow, has been made

America and certainly the Deep South was reprehensible but apartheid South Africa took that to a different level.

I didn’t elucidate this like you have. I totally agree. The veil was dragged from his eyes by huge international pressure. Fair play for writing it far better than I did.

Sitting here 30 years later it’s easy to see who could have done better in many countries including the USA and SA. I just think any change needs someone to take some steps forward. I think FW did that and at the time, it bucked a trend.

And that is why he was lauded in tandem with Mandela I guess. He turned something shit that he endorsed away from that shit state. I think that imagining he did it for the good of others rather than burnishing his own legacy is naive

Gutted . . . a true legend of the club and also for England. RIP !

Wilbur Smith....got to admit I loved his books when I was a youngster, not sure how I'd feel reading them now 40-50 years later.

I have loads of them. Haven’t read one for a good few years. I might dig out some of the Courteney ones as they are probably the ones which might be dodgy.

I suspect I might find them a bit patronising to black Africans now and they might also be considered glorifying some aspects of the plundering of Africa by Europeans.
I'm sure that wasn't his intention but I guess he is a bit of the product of his time and upbringing.
Might dig out some of them and re-read it with my 62 year old head on rather than my 12 year old one.

Mick Rock, photographer aged 72, you've probably never heard of him, but you'll have seen his photos,
Queen 2 with the 4 faces on a black background,
Raw power, iggy and the stooges,
Lou reed transformer,
All those album covers were his photos

Mick Rock, photographer aged 72, you've probably never heard of him, but you'll have seen his photos,
Lou reed transformer,
he also got a fair few of iggy the eskimo's backside

MR syd.jpg

Lou reed transformer,
I have certainly heard of him and seen a lot of his masterpieces.

I could grab my vinyl Queen 2 from where I am sat here probably. Oh no I can’t, my brother nicked half my vinyl when he fucked off to Oz! He even took Jazz with the original Fat Bottomed Girls bicycle race poster insert. Git.

Back