• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The race for 4th

GLASGOWOLF

You OK Hun?
Reaction score
After today it's blown the race for 4th Wide open.
Next Weekend will be huge .
Chelsea only have 1 GD better than us. Next weeks fixtures are
Wolves V Brighton - Sat
Sheff Utd V Norwich - Sat
Burnley V Spurs - Sat
Man Utd V Man City - Sunday
Chelsea V Everton- Sunday

Come Saturday we could be in 4th on GD
We would expect wins for
Man Utd, and Chelsea have really tough games
Burnley is not easy for Spurs,
Wolves and Sheff Utd should get wins.

Of course if it was that predictable we would all be millionaires on the back of gambling on Football.

We all have tough Run In's, and if Leicester have a dodgy run they could be dragged back to the pack, we are only 8 points behind, you have to think that's too big a gap given how many games are left.

I would say we are very much in the mix for 4th

Can't argue with any of that, in reality any 2 of current 3rd-11th (except Burnley) could get top 4, we really need to put a good winning run together, the last 2 games are a good start.
Its possible of course but I'd still be delighted with 6th ( no ambishun)

Never thought I’d see a thread opened about the race for 4th genuinely involving ourselves. If said to me you’ll need to win at Chelsea on the final day to come 4th I’d take that now.
Personally think we’ll need to average 2 points a game to get it from now on.

Unsure if we will get 4th, or even 5th but from this position with only one of the "top" sides left to play, i'd be a bit disappointed to miss out on Europe altogether.

If City's ban stands and a team already in Europe through the league wins the FA cup would the Europa placed drop down to 8th or will it be 7th still?

If their ban is upheld, Champions League will go down to 5th. Meaning 6th will qualify for Europa. Then FA Cup and League Cup winners each get a Europa place. So City have won the latter meaning that place would then go to 7th in the league. Then if one of the top 4 wins the FA Cup it would have to go down to 8th.

So long story short, yeah.

Oh and I forgot. If an English club wins the Europa League and is in the European places, then it might go down to 9th.

Oh and I forgot. If an English club wins the Europa League and is in the European places, then it might go down to 9th.

That would be mental.

I would like to hear DW's views on our chances of finishing 4th, as it was just over a week ago he replied to me saying it would be a missed opportunity with the following:

By what metric are we good enough though As we don't win enough games to properly get up that end of the table, at least for a while we were continually giving away daft goals and we've forgotten how to score recently.

The top three aren't in the conversation as we're too far behind, we're definitely not as good as Chelsea, Sheff Utd have a significantly better defensive record than us and for all their faults Spurs are much better at nicking results than us (plus even without Kane, Son is a far better forward than anything we've got, and that's not to denigrate any of our options in the front three).

Plus especially if we beat Espanyol - and having watched them today, we should - I expect the Europa League to take priority.

So basically, we'll be in the Champion League and have no use for the league spot in EL...

Don't think that's the case. Think you get one less EL place

I'm not sure this is true, as far as I'm aware the maximum number of European spots is 7.

A Europa League winner would give 5 Champions League places and only 2 Europa League places.

I would like to hear DW's views on our chances of finishing 4th, as it was just over a week ago he replied to me saying it would be a missed opportunity with the following:

Probably will just acknowledge the fact that Nuno has taken a long, hard look at himself.

Gentlemen.

Please stop this.

The last time we had a " can we finish fourth" thread we won once in 9.

We have one of our absolute bogey teams next in Brighton. I think on our current form we will beat them./ Then and only then can we open this thread. Until then close it and everyone stop getting over excited! :bobby2::icon_biggrin:

My, aren't we feisty on a Monday morning.

I don't think we will FWIW and I stand by the broader point that people are far, far, far too impatient and often needlessly negative about what we've achieved.

I think there'll end up being 5pts between 4th and 7th, and any of the teams in the conversation are capable of finishing anywhere in that block. We're definitely in with as much of a chance as anybody, which is about all we could want with ten games to go

Gentlemen.

Please stop this.

The last time we had a " can we finish fourth" thread we won once in 9.

We have one of our absolute bogey teams next in Brighton. I think on our current form we will beat them./ Then and only then can we open this thread. Until then close it and everyone stop getting over excited! :bobby2::icon_biggrin:

Cyber come on Man enjoy the ride stop expecting the bogey sides, ex Players jinx to keep happening, thisnis Nuno, Mourinho, Neves, Jiminez, Jota, Traore Etc.

They may have a bad 45 minutes they rarely have a bad 90 minutes.
4th is there for the taking, Nuno and the players will not think about it, but we can.

I we win Sat, and Leicester Lose, we are only 6 POINTS FROM 3RD

That is special

My, aren't we feisty on a Monday morning.

I don't think we will FWIW and I stand by the broader point that people are far, far, far too impatient and often needlessly negative about what we've achieved.

I was only asking ffs! :icon_lol:

If we dont get 4th, but managed 5th, 6th, or 7th it would be a fucking amazing season.
Last 16 Europa League
7th finish premier would be awesome

Back