• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The race for 4th

My, aren't we feisty on a Monday morning.

I don't think we will FWIW and I stand by the broader point that people are far, far, far too impatient and often needlessly negative about what we've achieved.

I don't see people being negative about what we've a achieved at all, I generally see people in awe of what we've achieved to be honest. I think the impatience may be there at times, possibly because Fosun have, quite rightly, set themselves high goals and expectations and a tiny, tiny minority of people don't understand that those goals aren't easily achievable. I just don't see the negativity, but then I don't use Twitter or bother reading comments on E & S articles.

I did think only 7 team max in Europe.

You'd have the top 4 (down to 5th place with the ban). Then you'd need three others. 6th place would be auto into Europa. But if the Europa League winner finished 6th, i.e us, it would push it down to 7th place. Then both cup winners would still need to be taken into account to make the seven. Which would then be 8th + 9th if they both came out of the existing European places (top 6).

I think....

I'd still be amazed if Citeh are suspended for next season - there surely going to be a lengthy appeals process, followed by loads of nasty legal action.

The only time it gets really complicated is if say we won the Europa and Spurs won the champions league while both finishing outside the champions league qualification places. Both of us would be in the Champions League but there can only be five teams in so only three would get in by league placing.

Broader point we're right in contention for Europe again next season though, one way or another. We are absolutely not a flash in the pan a la Burnley

I'd still be amazed if Citeh are suspended for next season - there surely going to be a lengthy appeals process, followed by loads of nasty legal action.
I agree, City will get a 1 year ban for 21/22. CL will be the Top 4.

I don't see people being negative about what we've a achieved at all, I generally see people in awe of what we've achieved to be honest. I think the impatience may be there at times, possibly because Fosun have, quite rightly, set themselves high goals and expectations and a tiny, tiny minority of people don't understand that those goals aren't easily achievable. I just don't see the negativity, but then I don't use Twitter or bother reading comments on E & S articles.

It's a lot more widespread than that.

Look at the pelters Jota was getting about three weeks ago.

Look at how people talk about MGW and Vinagre.

The reaction to Neto signing (and indeed some of his early games for us).

The state of every transfer window and the discussion around that.

The Jota criticism was fair enough IMO. He'd had a very poor season up until his first hat-trick in Europe.

It's not fair though is it, everyone knows what a good player he is (assuming they have eyes), regularly in the Portuguese squad now, massive contribution last season and people were banging on as if he were Sheyi Ojo II.

The Jota criticism was fair enough IMO. He'd had a very poor season up until his first hat-trick in Europe.

Apart from the 4 days before when he put two in against Brighton?

Or the 5 goals before that in the PL and EL.

Fair enough if you think he was very poor. I think you're very wrong.

Cyber come on Man enjoy the ride stop expecting the bogey sides, ex Players jinx to keep happening, thisnis Nuno, Mourinho, Neves, Jiminez, Jota, Traore Etc.

They may have a bad 45 minutes they rarely have a bad 90 minutes.
4th is there for the taking, Nuno and the players will not think about it, but we can.

I we win Sat, and Leicester Lose, we are only 6 POINTS FROM 3RD

That is special

tell me that after we have beaten Brighton and I will take it.

I don’t see what’s wrong with someone saying that player x had a bad game or whatever if they did, maybe some of it has been OTT at times but it’s not exactly a shock that football fans are hyperbolic, particularly in the heat of the moment.

I don’t see what’s wrong with someone saying that player x had a bad game or whatever if they did, maybe some of it has been OTT at times but it’s not exactly a shock that football fans are hyperbolic, particularly in the heat of the moment.

Over the top to say a player's had a poor first half of a season when he hadn't don't you think?

Not really. He’s just an easy target when it’s not quite coming off for him, as he tries the difficult and creative things. His underlying numbers have been very good all season so the purple patch isn’t a surprise, it’s just happened to come at once.

Yes I forgot about the Brighton goals. Oh and it was 4 goals, only in the Europa League qualifiers before that.

In terms of the league he'd scored one goal up until December 8th. Given what a good player he is and how he went in the second half of last season I think a bit of criticism for his league form was fair comment.

Yes I forgot about the Brighton goals. Oh and it was 4 goals, only in the Europa League qualifiers before that.

In terms of the league he'd scored one goal up until December 8th. Given what a good player he is and how he went in the second half of last season I think a bit of criticism for his league form was fair comment.

His output was certainly down in terms of goals and assists but the game's more than that and his link play was still very good. He over ran the ball a few times and he clearly struggled with Adama in the front 3 for a time. Little changes affect players all the time and some of the criticism players get is OTT.

He was certainly struggling to make things happen on a regular basis. He'd hold onto the ball for too long or choose the wrong option. More often than usual any way. He's always been tenacious and ran with the ball loads. Since that Brighton game it's clicked for him though, and his second hat-trick has rocketed his confidence.

No doubt about that Bear, he took time to get going last season too (ankle injury aside) as he didn't get his first until 5th Dec. Maybe he needs a few months to get going.

If we dont get 4th, but managed 5th, 6th, or 7th it would be a fucking amazing season.
Last 16 Europa League
7th finish premier would be awesome

This absolutely. Doesn’t mean I’m not going to get excited about the possibility we still have of champs league though. Very exciting times!!

I we win Sat, and Leicester Lose, we are only 6 POINTS FROM 3RD
Leicester are not in good form at the moment. Since christmas they've struggled. They have points on the board, but they might struggle to hold onto a top 4 place if they lose this weekend.

Back