• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The race for 4th

Yep Lingard is shocking. Wouldn't take him on a free

Lingard wouldn't even get on our bench. Shocking footballer.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

Lingard wouldn’t get in the Royal London.

Chelsea arsenal and Sheffield all left in the cup so hopefully they will suffer a bit of fixture congestion! That has to help us if we keep on decent form. It’s all very exciting

Chelsea arsenal and Sheffield all left in the cup so hopefully they will suffer a bit of fixture congestion! That has to help us if we keep on decent form. It’s all very exciting
No more than we will.

On top of league games.

We currently have at least 2 extra games.
Chelsea also have 2 (1 FA Cup and 1 CL and they are not getting anymore in Europe)
Arsenal & Sheff Utd have 1 extra

As FA ties are now single games fixture congestion is not really an issue.

It'll be United if they get past Derby, two more fixtures plus a quarter final.

Quarter final weekend is after Europa League second leg, United have a very winnable tie against Norwich. Hopefully it's all still to play for with LASK the Thursday beforehand.

The latest fixtures have Wolves in 5th.
Man Utd play Man City, and Chelsea play Everton.
By the end of today the worst we could be in 6th.
Worst case scenario,
Utd win
Chelsea win
drops us to 6th extends Chelsea's lead over us to 5 Points.
Best case
Utd get heavily beaten
Chelsea get beaten
That will reduce the goal Difference whilst also stopping them from extending their lead/overtaking us.

I'd be looking more at Everton not getting 3 points to be honest. Looking at that 7th position for EL is where I'm at and an Everton win would bring them to within 3 points of us

3-0 Chelsea.

Means Everton are effectively seven points behind us with nine games to go, they're unlikely to make that up, especially if they don't win at Molineux.

For me 4th isn't realistic. Assuming the season is finished then qualifying for Europe, by any means, will do for me. Chelsea are currently 2 up on Everton and attacking them like we need to attack crap teams at home. A good run in the Europa leage and qualifying for Europe again would be a successful season by any yardstick

Damaging the goal difference. We were almost level, they are know way ahead of us

Chelsea focussing on the league now they're out of Europe and why not.

As others have said a top 6 finish would be brilliant knowing we aren't a million miles off top 4. Getting Europa two seasons in a row would set us apart from other teams who get Europa and then struggle the next season.

Improvement season and season is what we're about.

Kaizen (it's Japanese but still embodies what we're about)

Five isn't that big a swing.

Whereas we're now 16 better off in terms of GD than Everton and they aren't closing that gap.

Ultimately I think people were getting a bit giddy after last week, was it possible that we'd make the top four, yes. Probable, not at all. We aren't that good (we'd also more than likely fail to get through the group stage with the current squad).

I would say that now means only the following can realistically catch us:

Sheff Utd (fair play to them)
Man Utd (will hopefully lose in a bit)
Spurs (sinking fast, Kane and Son aren't back any time soon)
Arsenal (game in hand but it's City away on Wednesday, also I think we'll beat them at home next month)
Burnley/Palace (doubt it)

We aren't that good (we'd also more than likely fail to get through the group stage with the current squad).

I was thinking myself that the CL could be something of a poisoned chalice this soon. That said, if we were to qualify, our squad would almost certainy be upgraded (and I'm not going to hope we lose the EL final if we get there :)).

5th would be a huge achievement if we manage to progress in the current round of the Europa, personally feel like Sheff Utd pose the biggest threat to 5th. Game in hand and unlike the others aren't in Europe or going through some form of transition or adjustment.

Ultimately I think people were getting a bit giddy after last week, was it possible that we'd make the top four, yes. Probable, not at all. We aren't that good (we'd also more than likely fail to get through the group stage with the current squad).

Drink it in boys.

Look at those next four games, it doesn't seem real but we have a chance of finishing 4th, never mind 5th.
Giddy.

Back