• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Road To The Desert: World Cup 2022 Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not Ingerland in that sense, but trying to justify the pathetic as anything other than what it is in this piece is all a bit sad and absolutely disingenuous, it has everything to do with getting a rise because of the Falklands.

The build up to this tournament is so weird - I've barely spoken to anyone about it - partly down to the schedule but also a lot to do with the ethics behind it too and the fact so many people aren't going to watch it as a result.

I'm actually looking forward to it because football without Wolves is not an unattractive prospect right now. I think it'll be a good tournament (on the pitch - probably the absolute antithesis of South Africa).

Who are people backing to do well? I think France will still be very strong, despite their injuries and I expect a much better showing from Brazil and Argentina.

Fuck knows how we'll do. Quarters? Semis? Don't think we've got enough quality in enough areas to go all the way though.

Must admit I've struggled for enthusiasm for this tournament, but tbf I've been like that for quite few years now with international football, no doubt I'll get into it when it starts. Hopefully the football will be good, England will surprise us and I'd also like to see some co-ordinated protests about the hosts and the corruption in the staging of it.
As for England, now idea how far we'll go, be disappointed if we don't make the quarters.

Who we expecting from Wolves

Neves and Nunes nailed on. Sa seems to be 3rd choice now. Semedo won't go and it looks like Moutinho is being left at home. Guedes could get in with a few injuries in the forward line
Hwang for South Korea
Raul in a more of a cheerleader than Coady role...

The most I've discussed the tournament is down to going for a group meal on 10th Dec, and whether that would coincide with a possible England game that night.

* Spolier Alert * It does. Possible QF against France or Argentina most likely. If we win our group we probably face Senegal first, who'd be likely runners up to Holland in their group.

I'd say that the only absolute cast iron certainties are Neves and Hwang.

You'd expect Nunes to, but he's not exactly set the world alight since his move. Think Podence might be in with a shout with all their injuries?

Neves/Moutinho/Sa/Nunes will all likely go IMO.

Semedo/Podence/Guedes backups.

Neves/Moutinho/Sa/Nunes will all likely go IMO.

Semedo/Podence/Guedes backups.
Moutinho was left out of the last squad and their manager has done a "sorry for those who have contributed to our history" message to some players ahead of announcing the squad. So a fair few in Portugal think that means the likes of Moutinho not going

I think its the timing more than the ethics that have killed it although no doubt they’ve played a part. There just seems to be a general apathy about this one. Also, after a couple of good tournaments think Southgate has really lost his mojo and wouldn’t be at all surprised to see the wheels fall off pretty spectacularly this time.

I think the group matches will be pretty dire but will limp through. After that heart says build momentum and eventually out in the semis, head says much earlier.

Long sunny days at a time of year when there is no other football vs short, dark winter nights when we're all in domestic football mode and everyone sees the tournament as an unnecessary inconvenience to club football. Its very un-World Cuplike.

Saying that, it has come at a good time for Wolves with Lop taking over and being able to put the players through an unprecedented mini-pre-season and some warm weather training

part of my not feeling engaged is down to not being as interested in international football as I used to be. The ethics, as well as the timing are playing a part.
That said, when it is on, and there is no other football, I expect to be watching a fair bit.
The only discussions I have had about it are with mrs jelly, who hates football. she'll be working, I'll be home alone, so all good, and I don't feel guilty for hogging the tv!

Expect it to be a very different tournament. With a lot of players missing owing to injuries etc, there could be some wildcards progressing.

I really don't see england getting past the QF stage.

Four games a day for the first week or so doesn't help either. Especially when all but the last kick off when the majority of folk are at work.

Just listened to Hal Robson Kanu on talkSPORT. Very arrogant about Wales and pretty much stating that USA, Iran will be formalities and they will play England who’ll be under huge pressure in n the last game draw from that what you want.
Very dismissive of Iran and the USA even we’re not doing that.

If only FIFA were dismissive of Iran. There's no way they should be allowed in any World Cup.

Just listened to Hal Robson Kanu on talkSPORT. Very arrogant about Wales and pretty much stating that USA, Iran will be formalities and they will play England who’ll be under huge pressure in n the last game draw from that what you want.
Very dismissive of Iran and the USA even we’re not doing that.
Yeah and the Welsh squad is fucking rancid.

All 4 teams in our group are ranked in the top 20 - there won't be any games like Panama in 2018 for us, let alone Wales.

It's not really captured my imagination, probably because there hasn't been a build up. With the season over it normally feels like a big event with a ramping up of the excitement. Now it feels like a distraction we have to go through until the season starts again. Not being in the Summer takes something away from it as well as does not thinking much of our chances

Biggest benefit is you won’t have as many many bare beer guts walking around smashed with their arms in the air singing “England till I die”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back