• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

Yeah I think Vinagre will be starting soon.

I find it weird that Giles is back now playing on the wing (and on the right I think) for the U23s. I had thought they would play a similar system to the first team this season.
I'd say any left sided wingback with attacking skills ought to be able to adapt to right sided inside forward. We don't play with wingers.

It's not so much the level of cover, that's missing the point. Three plus a youngster who we think is ready to make a step up to cover two positions isn't the worst state of affairs. It's that one of the three (as it happens, the most established) is categorically nothing like good enough and so should not even have been considered as an option post-May, except in a "third choice on either side, just happy to be here for a year or so because he'll never be a PL player again" kind of way.

At that stage of their development I should add. For example, I could see Vinagre becoming a very effective inside forward in the future.

I think Vini will almost certainly move up the pitch but not to the other side of the pitch just yet, the same could be said with Giles but I have only seen him in pre-season and thought he looked very good at WB.

We wanted to sign a player for £16m to play LWB. We didn't sign that player or an alternative, therefore we are a player lighter in the area than we wanted. The quality or potential of those left is a moot point, the fact of the matter is that on the morning of the window closing we wanted an additional player, one who in all likelihood would be first choice, we didn't get one therefore claiming we are happy with our options there is by definition bollocks

We wanted to sign a player for £16m to play LWB. We didn't sign that player or an alternative, therefore we are a player lighter in the area than we wanted. The quality or potential of those left is a moot point, the fact of the matter is that on the morning of the window closing we wanted an additional player, one who in all likelihood would be first choice, we didn't get one therefore claiming we are happy with our options there is by definition bollocks

Totally correct.

However it would be a poor statement from the club to say that we aren't happy, bad for morale and pointless.

There’s no proof we wanted Zinchenko for left wing back - it’s more likely he was signed for centre mid

There’s no proof we wanted Zinchenko for left wing back - it’s more likely he was signed for centre mid
Thelwell saying it was ok to miss out due to having Vinny & Giles plus 2 right footed players who can play on the left suggest he was

Is it? He's spent far more time playing on the left side than centrally since breaking into City's first team and Wolves obviously have much less depth there than they do in central midfield.

Fabio Coentrão training on his own at Real. If he doesn't find a move before the other European league windows shut I could see him coming our way in January.

If no-one in the whole of Europe wants to sign him in the next week or so, would alarm bells not be ringing for you? Especially as that would also mean it being 7-8 months without him kicking a ball by the time the window opens.

If no-one in the whole of Europe wants to sign him in the next week or so, would alarm bells not be ringing for you? Especially as that would also mean it being 7-8 months without him kicking a ball by the time the window opens.
I think wages are the stumbling block for most clubs. Loan to the end of the season in Jan would be fine for me, as long as he could prove his fitness of course.

I'm actually not sure how he's still there. They signed him in 2011 and he's not played more than 10 league games in a season for them since 2012/13. What did they do, hand him a 10 year deal?

I'm actually not sure how he's still there. They signed him in 2011 and he's not played more than 10 league games in a season for them since 2012/13. What did they do, hand him a 10 year deal?
It does seem like he's been there for ages. I think they paid €30M+ for him!

I keep telling you. Portuguese Podolski. Living off a good World Cup absolutely ages ago...

Thelwell saying it was ok to miss out due to having Vinny & Giles plus 2 right footed players who can play on the left suggest he was

I actually think the e+s article is taking two different quotes - one is about Zinchenko and some deals don’t come off, and the Giles/vinagre one relates to the sale of Barry Douglas - Tim’s just show horned them together. Unless I’ve missed something else which is entirely possible.

Jordan Graham has joined Ipswich Town on a season-long loan.

DlsLozJUUAEfwvW.jpg

Back