• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Summer 2018 Transfer Thread

When's Traore meant to be in contention anyway? He dislocated his shoulder, but it doesn't look to be too serious- will we see him this month?

I think Nuno will try Adama as a wingback. That would be risk maybe but i see lot of similarties to Victor Moses there.
Moses is the exception to the rule. Other wing backs over the last couple of years have been career full backs. Davies, Aurier, Trippier, Alonso, Douglas, Doherty, Rose

Moses is the exception to the rule. Other wing backs over the last couple of years have been career full backs. Davies, Aurier, Trippier, Alonso, Douglas, Doherty, Rose

I suppose TWF favourite Ashley Young also runs counter to that.

I do not see Traore being remotely viable there though.

Ashley young and Valencia I suppose. I just think with Traores pace strength and skill it's a shame not to use it in pure attack rather than giving him a defensive duty for which he may be ill equipped

I doubt he’d be moved to wingback as well - I think there’s a lot of work to get him understanding our system as an IF, let alone wingback - but just for balance, there was a lot of talk about him going to Chelsea to be a wingback not that long ago - I’ve found a few mentions.

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...middlesbroughs-adama-traore-thrive-at-chelsea
https://www.footballwhispers.com/blog/comparing-chelsea-target-adama-traore-with-victor-moses

I think what I’m saying here is - it’s unlikely but not completely beyond the realms of possibility for this system.

Ashley young and Valencia I suppose. I just think with Traores pace strength and skill it's a shame not to use it in pure attack rather than giving him a defensive duty for which he may be ill equipped
United don't play with wing backs

The main thing with Traore is to get him in and working with our coaching team, which is far better than Boro (no disrespect to them intended) he may develop into a great IF and maybe a WB later on but I imagine for the sake of risk he will be used in an attacking sense to begin with. It sounds like Nuno has been watching him quite a lot so he will have an idea for short and long term.

What I do know is he does have the physical characteristics to be a fabulous WB in the longer term but the brain is a major question mark.

Either way I can't wait to see him running at people in a Wolves shirt getting the crown on their feet, we all know that the likes of Cav, Jota and Costa around him will provide him with the outlets to succeed where perhaps he failed a little bit before.

Agree - we do have people who can up with him. Costa is pretty rapid & Jota no slouch either (not seen Jiminez so no idea on him)

Agree - we do have people who can up with him. Costa is pretty rapid & Jota no slouch either (not seen Jiminez so no idea on him)
I wouldn't say Jiminez is particularly fast but hes a lot quicker than Leo (mind you I think im quicker than Leo)

On Traore, this amused me from the Guardian's season preview:

Adama Traoré is a wildcard, too. Traoré, who will presumably play at right wing-back, certainly adds dynamism to Wolves’ 3-4-3 system, but occasionally resembles one of those balloons that fly everywhere when you let them go. When Aitor Karanka managed him at Middlesbrough, he would sometimes make Traoré switch flanks to whichever side was nearest the dugout, so the manager could constantly give him instructions. Still, if Nuno can have the same impact on the winger as Tony Pulis did after he took over at Boro, Traoré might prove a bargain at £18m.
That Karanka thing is... quite something.

That Karanka thing is definitely true :icon_lol: He openly said it. However Aitor Karanka is a massive weirdo so it says more about him than our ripped jeans hero.

He may not be as fast but he is lightenning fast to react. In the last friendly he looked 3rd favourite to the ball but still got in 1st poking it square giving Jota a shooting chance (which he ballooned into the NB)

Wolves has signed Max Kilman from Maidenhead Utd. 21yr old defender.

Sky have us down as paying £12.5m to Bournemouth for Afobe. I thought it was £10m?

Seems that Edwards saw what I saw at Hednesford, there's a lot at U23 level that aren't close to ever being someone our first team will use. That's about 5 in the last 48 hours we've brought in

Back