• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

The Transfer Thread 2017/18 - everything not Wolves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bargain, IMO.

Release clause is either £3m or £3.5m depending who you believe. But of course that means his wages would be astronomical.

Albion will not sell players to us if they can help it, we haven't bought anyone off them since summer 1990 (and he was fucking shit) and we haven't sold anyone to them since early 1994 (and he was fucking shit).

I think Sako was gently advised when he was a free agent after leaving us that it would not be a great idea to go down the A41. Plus who wants to be a winger and play for Pulis, really.

Release clause is either £3m or £3.5m depending who you believe. But of course that means his wages would be astronomical.

Albion will not sell players to us, we haven't bought anyone of them since summer 1990 (and he was $#@!ing $#@!) and we haven't sold anyone to them since early 1994 (and he was $#@!ing $#@!).
Oh right. I forgot that that bad blood was a thing even at that level.

No just that we don't like each other very much...

There hasn't been a player move directly between Man Utd and Liverpool since 1964, we've got nothing on them.

More that it runs so deep that even the executives won't deal with each other.

General policy for clubs to avoid selling to their rivals if they can. Is that not much of a thing in American sports then?

General policy for clubs to avoid selling to their rivals if they can. Is that not much of a thing in American sports then?

Not as a general rule, but then free agency is a thing here so it kind of changes the whole market.

I suppose the easiest rivalry to make an example of is the Yankees and Red Sox in baseball, and there have been many players (including a few all time greats like Babe Ruth) who played for both teams.

Not meant as a dig, but I've always thought the rivalry in American sports with a few franchise moving exceptions like the Colts and Ravens is more pantomime than ferocious. I've been to see the Yankees play the Red Sox three times at three different stadiums with plenty of fans from the other side there and all banter has been good natured. There will always be exceptional incidents, but by and large it's a different culture to English football.

Might be due to there being less class/political influences in original support compared to Europe, also diminished regional rivalries due to some rivals actually being quite far apart.

Not meant as a dig, but I've always thought the rivalry in American sports with a few franchise moving exceptions like the Colts and Ravens is more pantomime than ferocious. I've been to see the Yankees play the Red Sox three times at three different stadiums with plenty of fans from the other side there and all banter has been good natured. There will always be exceptional incidents, but by and large it's a different culture to English football.

We never had anything like the problems with hooliganism that existed in England AFAIK. Hard to say why, really. Obviously there are still morons who get in fights over it but absolutely nothing like organized groups of ultras looking to start trouble.

We never had anything like the problems with hooliganism that existed in England AFAIK. Hard to say why, really. Obviously there are still morons who get in fights over it but absolutely nothing like organized groups of ultras looking to start trouble.

Just so you know, football in this country is exactly like this film :)

220px-Greenstreet.jpg

Might be due to there being less class/political influences in original support compared to Europe, also diminished regional rivalries due to some rivals actually being quite far apart.

To illustrate, the New Orleans Saints biggest rivals are the Atlanta Falcons. There are 469 miles separating the two.

That's 40 miles more than the distance separating Southampton from Celtic.

A classic film. One I cannot switch over from if it comes on the telly.

Bit close to home for me. When I settle down to switch off mentally for a bit and just watch a film, I don't want to watch my own life being played out.

I actually put their main lad through a phone box the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back