• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

I agree there's an OTT reaction, but it's driven by the absolute gulf between him and the last guy, it's just refreshing.

The shit you and I got for calling the Lage appointment what it was in the Summer of 2021 annoys me more tbh.
It's an upmarket version of going from Saunders to Ken. And yeah, great stuff, I'm far more optimistic about where we'll end up now.

I just don't want the club pretending everything's ok now, it isn't yet and won't be for some time soon. Then I would still want some kind of process to determine who exactly caused this mess that seriously needn't have happened.

As for the reaction to being anti-Lage, comes with the territory. Twitter was appalling for it. Still is to a point.

I think there's been enough of the hype now but tbf it only just offsets the ott negativity of the last few weeks. I'll be happy if they just leave it at that now, trouble is there's nothing else to post about for about 6 weeks.

I think it’s entirely reasonable to be a little over the top in our liking of Lopetegui. He oozes class and it really is great to have him. If he keeps us up we will probably be in a better position than if we’d sacked Lage in May and appointed a mediocre manager. Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good!

So... do we think he'll stay if we go down..? (Too soon..?)

So... do we think he'll stay if we go down..? (Too soon..?)
Not too soon as Deutsch says it's 50/50, bookies have it at 40/60. I'd imagine he already knows what the boundaries are to that, I'm sure there's a break clause for him in his 3 year contract. He nearly came to us in the Championship before and that was when we went through our trollydash recruitment of players towards the bottom of Mendes' black book, so I wouldn't discount it completely

I mean I'm delighted we have a proper manager and everything now, but:

a) That doesn't mean I've forgotten that the club chose not to have one for 18 months, and the damage that's caused
b) I do think we should rein it in a bit, I'm not going to forever swoon over a guy who has managed 0 games for us, it's already getting tiresome
Very hard to disagree with you here .
We are all over the chap and he hasn't managed us for a single minute of any match , hasn't managed a single minute of a Premier League game either for any club . It could all go pear shaped in a few short months . . .and then what .
Would he stay and bring us back up ?
I posted here recently about the improvement under Davis , all small things but they all count , however none of these small things will put the ball in the net .
Hard to blame people all the same . They see a six week break , new Professional Manager in the door, a World Cup to distract us, very easy to get carried away .

A manager of his calibre shouldn't be taking us down with 23 games to play when we're just 4/5 points off safety

I think that completely downplays the obvious issues we have. We can't defend and give away shit goals regularly, we don't create anywhere near enough chances and the ones we do we waste.

By all means I'm not saying it needs a miracle but we definitely need a big injection of cash to get the requisite quality, especially for our front 3. Then we have to hope those players gel whilst Lopetegui can get his ideas across to a squad that have only shown the ability to play one style of football to a reasonably successful level.

The poor Twitter admins have had a shit time so fair fucks they are going OTT and with no games it's all they can do until the World Cup starts or the training in Spain starts.

Might be the only positive stuff they get to run with all season, so go for it.

I think that completely downplays the obvious issues we have. We can't defend and give away shit goals regularly, we don't create anywhere near enough chances and the ones we do we waste.

By all means I'm not saying it needs a miracle but we definitely need a big injection of cash to get the requisite quality, especially for our front 3. Then we have to hope those players gel whilst Lopetegui can get his ideas across to a squad that have only shown the ability to play one style of football to a reasonably successful level.

But then we should take into account that for a 'lage' part of this season they've been coached/(mis)managed/set up/(dis)organised by a cretin and since then by League 2 coaches. Besides personnel, we should hope that someone of Lopetegui's calibre can coach and set the side up and thus get more of a tune out of us than the cretin or the League 2 guys

But then we should take into account that for a 'lage' part of this season they've been coached/(mis)managed/set up/(dis)organised by a cretin and since then by League 2 coaches. Besides personnel, we should hope that someone of Lopetegui's calibre can coach and set the side up and thus get more of a tune out of us than the cretin or the League 2 guys

That doesn't change the fact that bar Guedes (once) and Raul who doesn't look like ever getting back to himself, none of our forward players have ever got to double figures in a season.
I'm not counting Costa either as he's finished.

He may make us harder to beat and better defensively but he's not going to turn water into wine.

Julen looks thrilled, everyone else looks like they've just been shown the table for the first time.

That doesn't change the fact that bar Guedes (once) and Raul who doesn't look like ever getting back to himself, none of our forward players have ever got to double figures in a season.
I'm not counting Costa either as he's finished.

He may make us harder to beat and better defensively but he's not going to turn water into wine.
Indeed. Would still hope that he will vastly improve coaching, conditioning, set up and importantly confidence. Also think that strikers are top of his January shopping list

I doubt he has a clue whether he would stay if the worst happens. So many factors that are unknown most notably if he settles in the area and how we perform until the end of the season.
And Robert Plant!

He doesn't have to turn us into wine over those 23 games, just into a competent enough unit to finish above the drop zone

Back