• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

There goes Julen!

The most qualified managers we’ve had of the last 5 years have both been forced out or wanted out for speaking their mind and warning the board of the consequences of standing still. Have a feeling any manager of any quality will keep hitting the same brick wall.
Absolutely.

In fact I can't imagine Fosun will go near a manager with that kind of character again, unfortunately it's the best managers that have that kind of attitude.

Some people are extremely focussed at their workplace so can come across rude/ignorant I guess.
Plus may have been in a bad mood that particular day, maybe something had pissed him off

I met him in Vilamoura in May 2018 shortly after promotion and I found him to be a gent too, he posed for a photo with me and later on that night I was sat outside Figo's Bar when he strolled past, he spotted me and waved. I was walking on air for that holiday!

Last edited:
If you look at so called elite managers they all have one thing in common, and that is they are prone to throwing their toys out of the pram. When it happens they don't stop at a club long.

That's interesting re Nuno. Not my experience of him, I saw him in Tettenhall he stopped and had a chat. Took a pic and he went on his way. He couldn't have been more of a gent, I miss him.

Not my experience either. Nuno did a lot of work with the University and was always a lovely, approachable man. I also bet he faced similar problems to Lop and never once held an interview berating the squad (berating may be strong, but he wasn't kind about their prospects) and club in public. It often meant Wolves fans called him names in public and said he was delusional.

Not being a Fosun apologist. Not saying they were right to sack him. Not saying GON is the right choice. But there's an element of blame for Lopetegui too. Fosun handled it how Bournemouth did last year with Scott Parker and, to be honest, if my employee was misbehaving and saying questionable things about the organisation I work for in public I'd be asking questions too.

Some people are extremely focussed at their workplace so can come across rude/ignorant I guess.
That's very much it I think. He was very focussed, after training would sit away from everyone with a Espresso deep in thought.

I know from chats we had , in work he was very prickly and could be bad tempered.

Outside the day to day work, around Wolverhampton he was very approachable and always had time for fans.

Every time we saw him he was working with the players, and quite the opposite, he was very focussed and stand offish.

Wish I was this thick. The world must be a simple place when you are so easily amused.

Tell me again how GON is all part of Fosun's super-plan to introduce an amazing new ethos and style to the club, Mr Clever and Complex

Tell me again how GON is all part of Fosun's super-plan to introduce an amazing new ethos and style to the club, Mr Clever and Complex

Sorry Garry Powndland, it seems we are on different wavelengths. Enjoy howling at the moon.

Sorry Garry Powndland, it seems we are on different wavelengths. Enjoy howling at the moon.

No howling here, just been trying to get to the bottom of your finger-wagging at those of us who can see this awful decision on the horizon.

You seem to be suggesting that Fosun should be trusted on this, despite the litany of errors over the past few years, and we should just be fine with a bottom-feeder manager who has been appointed for cynical reasons, just because he may turn out to be as good as Nuno, based on nothing.

Here whenever you want to extrapolate on your position, but it doesn't seem to have much depth or consideration to me

No howling here, just been trying to get to the bottom of your finger-wagging at those of us who can see this awful decision on the horizon.

You seem to be suggesting that Fosun should be trusted on this, despite the litany of errors over the past few years, and we should just be fine with a bottom-feeder manager who has been appointed for cynical reasons, just because he may turn out to be as good as Nuno, based on nothing.

Here whenever you want to extrapolate on your position, but it doesn't seem to have much depth or consideration to me

I've said nothing of the sort, I don't trust Fosun as far as I could throw them. However that doesn't mean I am incapable of critical thought, my brain doesn't automatically equate anything they do with it being bad.

I'm not even arguing they'd have done it for the right reasons but again people do things all the time that aren't for the right reasons and it works out well, sometimes it doesn't.

I haven't said he'll be good, but I don't know if he's going to be shit, mainly as I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on someone I know very little about. People who do that tend to come across as idiots.

I've said nothing of the sort, I don't trust Fosun as far as I could throw them. However that doesn't mean I am incapable of critical thought, my brain doesn't automatically equate anything they do with it being bad.

I'm not even arguing they'd have done it for the right reasons but again people do things all the time that aren't for the right reasons and it works out well, sometimes it doesn't.

I haven't said he'll be good, but I don't know if he's going to be shit, mainly as I'm not going to pretend to be an expert on someone I know very little about. People who do that tend to come across as idiots.

I mean, you're rowing back on it now, but you actually said GON did a better job than Lopetegui last season, and compared his imminent appointment to that of Mourinho at Porto.

'Benefit of the doubt' doesn't really work in football. You can't just put someone in an elite management position just because there's a 1% chance they might be amazing. Are you listening to yourself?

O'Neil got the job at Bournemouth because he was part of the backroom team, enabled a little continuity and minimised instability, probably got on with the players and had a base level of competence, then they fucked him off as soon as they could.

Occam's razor. Is it more likely GON is some undiscovered genius that Hobbs and Shi have spotted (they've never done this before), or is the greater likelihood that he's another unremarkable manager who will be battling relegation at small PL clubs as the absolute peak of his career and has been given the job because he's everything Lop isn't. Pleasant, mediocre, cheap, English, powerless and low maintenance.

I mean, you're rowing back on it now, but you actually said GON did a better job than Lopetegui last season, and compared his imminent appointment to that of Mourinho at Porto.

'Benefit of the doubt' doesn't really work in football. You can't just put someone in an elite management position just because there's a 1% chance they might be amazing. Are you listening to yourself?

O'Neil got the job at Bournemouth because he was part of the backroom team, enabled a little continuity and minimised instability, probably got on with the players and had a base level of competence, then they fucked him off as soon as they could.

Occam's razor. Is it more likely GON is some undiscovered genius that Hobbs and Shi have spotted (they've never done this before), or is the greater likelihood that he's another unremarkable manager who will be battling relegation at small PL clubs as the absolute peak of his career and has been given the job because he's everything Lop isn't. Pleasant, mediocre, cheap, English, powerless and low maintenance.

He did do a better job. Bournemouth finished 2 points behind us with a hugely inferior side. It's factual, unless you think Bournemouth had better players than us last year?

The Mourinho comment was tongue in cheek, but it bares relevance. He'd done nothing to demonstrate he'd be a good manager when he was appointed.

It may go wrong but as I said above, people who speak with an air of authority on stuff they don't know anything about come across as a bit simple.

He did do a better job. Bournemouth finished 2 points behind us with a hugely inferior side. It's factual, unless you think Bournemouth had better players than us last year?

The Mourinho comment was tongue in cheek, but it bares relevance. He'd done nothing to demonstrate he'd be a good manager when he was appointed.

It may go wrong but as I said above, people who speak with an air of authority on stuff they don't know anything about
He'd managed Benfica and was Leiria manager when Porto appointed him, doing a very good job at the latter.

Hillariously, Julen was having a gym Induction at Nuffield this morning. Doesn’t hate Wolvo that much then

Last edited:
He'd managed Benfica and was Leiria manager when Porto appointed him, doing a very good job at the latter.

I'm aware. I guess Porto fans were on their own forum moaning that he was a cheap option and only there because he's Portuguese.

It may go wrong but as I said above, people who speak with an air of authority on stuff they don't know anything about come across as a bit simple.

Can you explain what you mean by 'stuff they don't know anything about'?

Are you saying people on this forum can't recognise or assess manager and player quality based on all the information available to us, with their records, with our eyes and ears and decades (some of us) of following the game?

When are we allowed to have a strong opinion on a player or manager coming into the club? How can we fulfil your criteria?

Back