• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Top 5 Bands of all time?

the flower power thing is an interesting one, as reading some of the history there was a lot of 'cross pollination' of ideas in that period so as to who was originating the ideas is at best uncertain. for instance Donovan wrote his psych album sunshine superman a year before Pepper and surrealistic pillow were released but its release was delayed (until after those two) due to a record company dispute. Donovan's manager told him not to let McCartney hear it which given the scene was not a credible suggestion. not to say the Beatles didn't have their own great ideas, but they were great copyists as well.
I have Donovan`s autobiography. I think he`s done everything except invent the wheel.

No particular order...

The Jam
Squeeze
Stereophonics
Manic Street Preachers
Queen

(Oasis v close to making the top 5 as were Blondie, but the 1970's/80's version, not the 77 year old granny in a short skirt version!)

Last edited:
No particular order...

The Jam
Squeeze
Stereophonics
Manic Street Preachers
Queen

(Oasis v close to making the top 5 as were Blondie, but the 1970's/80's version, not the 77 year old granny in a short skirt version!)
Good shout with Squeeze

Difford and Tilbrook are on a par with Lennon and Mcartney and Jagger/Richard imo.

Stereophonic are one of my faves. I kind of lost track with their last few albums though.

Difford and Tilbrook are superb song writers, it's not even questionable!

For the life of me I cannot understand why they didn't put them on instead of Elton John, they could keep playing their three top ten songs over and over again (I've also heard Elon Johns not his real name and I suspect thats a wig !)

For the life of me I cannot understand why they didn't put them on instead of Elton John, they could keep playing their three top ten songs over and over again (I've also heard Elon Johns not his real name and I suspect thats a wig !)
Top 10 does not necessarily equate to quality, Joe Dolce got to number 1

For the life of me I cannot understand why they didn't put them on instead of Elton John, they could keep playing their three top ten songs over and over again (I've also heard Elton Johns not his real name and I suspect thats a wig !)
If Elton John played the songs that he wrote, he'd have been on stage for about 3 and a half minutes... very poor equation Paul, I thought you were better than that ;)

Megadeth is fucking awesome tbh.Met Dave Mustaine several years ago after a concert, was awesome.
I loved Youthanasia when I was 14.

Apart from Metallica, and a bit of Megadeth and Pantera, I never really got into metal as much as I should have.

If someone could be bothered and has the time, feel free to compile me a list of definitive metal tracks that I should be listening to and I’ll make myself a Spotify playlist. Not too much death metal though 🤣

If Elton John played the songs that he wrote, he'd have been on stage for about 3 and a half minutes... very poor equation Paul, I thought you were better than that ;)
He did write them, the music anyway. Bernie Taupin obviously wrote the majority of the lyrics.

I loved Youthanasia when I was 14.

Apart from Metallica, and a bit of Megadeth and Pantera, I never really got into metal as much as I should have.

If someone could be bothered and has the time, feel free to compile me a list of definitive metal tracks that I should be listening to and I’ll make myself a Spotify playlist. Not too much death metal though 🤣
I’ll give it a go but it’ll be over numerous posts, I really can’t be arsed for long, definitive posts.

Sepultura
Arise
Orgasmatron
Inner Self

Slayer
Hell Awaits
Anti Christ
Raining Blood
South of Heaven
War Ensemble
Angel of Death

Fear Factory
Demanufacture
Self Bias Resistor
Zero Signal
Replica
New Breed

Anthrax
Anti Social
Got the Time
Be All End All
Madhouse
Efilnikufesin (NFL)
Among the Living
I’m the Man
Only
Room for One More

Machine Head
Davidian
Old
A Thousand Lies
None But my Own

Samael
Black Trip

Testament
Electric Crown
Souls of Black

Start of with those, I’ll add more at some point and I’m sure Paddy will add thousands.

Back